Lowrance networking

Getting a new to me boat with no electronics so I think I’ve decided to go with the Elite FS 9 one at the bow and one at the console.

I do want to run two separate transducers so I can differentiate between what’s under me being I’m fishing or trolling with down scan.

But as far as networking to share waypoints on the GPS I understand that is by Ethernet according to Lowrance also allows sharing sonar transducers via Ethernet, so how can I make sure I’m using the transducer I want, but share waypoints to both units.

or does it require a NMEA 2000 set up
    Last edited by Sjetlag123; 01-08-2024 at 06:23 PM.

Just ethernet

Good info/post from 3 Rivers Marine a few years back regarding the differences...

The main difference between NMEA2000 and Ethernet is that GPS signals only share across NMEA2000, and only Ethernet can share Maps. Most everything else is shared by either, such as waypoints, or routes and trails, but each have their own special abilities, such as ethernet has the ability to Sync your units, share sonar, or mapping information, whereas NMEA2000 can have multiple other plugins, like an engine interface reading or a fuel flow sensor.

Also a big difference between the 2 is that the NMEA is a network and the ethernet is a single cable ran between units, or to an ethernet hub.
    TBH, if you are pulling an ethernet cable from console to bow, might as well go ahead an pull a NEMA cable at the same time - avoid that headache if/when you decide you want it also :).

4. Member
    You will want to install a Point 1 Heading Sensor for what you are doing and that requires a NMEA backbone. It Usually mounts back by the transom as close to over your transducer as possible with out noise from Electrical and Magnetic noise . To be sure you are using the transducer you want, In the sonar instalation ea transducer has a place to name it I use Location and transducer name such as Bow HDI or Console AI3-1. This show up on the source on the sonar page menu after you install it, It also shows on on the page so it easy to see anytime.

5. Member
    Just so you know linking 2 fs units, will not allow active target without additional parts.
    Wes

6. Member
    Honestly, I would look for someone w/ in stock HDS 9 Lives, you might get them at a very small premium ove the FS9's at this point. Thiought I saw them at Bass Pro/Cabelas for $1k each
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    Honestly, I would look for someone w/ in stock HDS 9 Lives, you might get them at a very small premium ove the FS9's at this point. Thiought I saw them at Bass Pro/Cabelas for $1k each
    Yes, the Lives have 2 Ehternet ports on each unit. "More better" than having just one on the FS.

8. Member
    Hopefully this helps.

As for multi transducer use, check out Jacob Scott (Lowrance expert) on Youtube. He has a bunch of videos that explain a lot. Many are old but still relevant. I watched one exactly what you're looking for.

9. Member
    I second the advice to go with HDS Live or Pro units over at least one of the FS units.

I started out with 2 FS 9 units. After a year, I switched to HDS Live units. Not exactly sure why, but the Live unit provides more clarity wth side scan the the FS unit did even though I retained the 3 in 1 transducer that was supplied with the FS unit. I had originally only upgraded my console unit. The improvements were enough to make me upgrade the bow unit to a Live as well.

When using multiple transducers on networked units, you can select which transducer you want to see on each screen. You can even setup a split screen and see both at the same time. This can be useful when drop shot fishing for example to see fish under each end of the boat.

I agree with going with Lives and NMEA in addition to Ethernet.