Fellsmere front boating

I just watched a video of Roland Martin taking a couple out on a guide trip. First he was fishing in the front with the husband standing behind him near the back of the front deck and the wife on the back deck. On multiple occasions when fishing hard bank or grass lines he had the front of the boat pointed in so the clients had to cast backwards. Roland caught one on a frog and then had the client get one of the clients own rods. Then Roland cut the frog off his rod and tied it on to one of the client’s rods. He is the guide. Why not just let the client use his rod?
    He May be a legend, but just another example of how big of a jackass he is.

Well I have always heard he was not exactly Mr Nice Guy

3. Member
    Hard to tell what was exactly going on without being in the boat and hearing what was said. Roland gets a lot of heat from this board but, I've talked to perhaps 8-10 of his clients afterward and have never heard a discouraging word....... All said they would happily do it again.
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

4. Member
    So I'll preface this with I have only met the guy once at the Classic a few years ago. However, if you hear from a lot of guys that frequent the same water he does as a guide literally none have good things to say about him.

5. Member
    Not sure why so many are throwing so much shade at Roland, he is an Icon and is amazing he is still going strong at his age, He is always trying to find a pattern for his clients so thats why he will cast out front some. When the clients are shiner fishing he will give them the rods that have fish. I have seen him out there at Fellsmere a number of times and he always takes time to talk with you and is willing to share his knowledge. The man goes way and above for his clients. He will missed when he leaves us.

6. Member
    If you can do it better take your own boat down there, start a guide service, let the customers use all your equipment then post the videos on Youtube so everyone will know the correct way to do everything.

7. Member
    I've never met Roland, only heard the negative stories about him. I have met Scott a couple of times and he is a real down to earth guy, I'd like to believe that his dad is the same way.
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200

8. Member
    If the client brought his own gear, Roland would be doing him a favor to rig the successful bait to a familiar rod and reel combo instead of handing his gear to the client. I doubt I could cast Roland’s reels without a big overspool. I assume with his experience, he runs his reels super free. I don’t. The client may not, either.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

9. Member
    I did guide in the late 90’s and Early 2000’s when I was self employed. I enjoyed it more than my professional occupation, but also knew I could make significantly more outside of guiding so I gave it up. I have had 2 personal experiences with Mr. Martin, one which included a week of fishing in the Amazon. There is a difference in a guide finding fish and front boating. And just because you are an Icon, it doesn’t mean you are nice and friendly.

10. Member
    So you failed at being a Guide. Roland is still guiding and doing extremely well at it.

11. Member
    I watched his video were he says he brings everything you need including free shiners and snacks and he lowered his fee from 1500 to 1200
    I imagine plenty of guys want to bring their own rod

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soulfisher View Post
    So you failed at being a Guide. Roland is still guiding and doing extremely well at it.
    I guess you could look at it that way if you choose. I was booked the majority of the days I had allocated to it and doing fine. But given I could earn more money in 1 or 2 days in my primary occupation than I could in 6 days of guiding, I chose the more financially viable option for my family. So I guess I am glad I failed as I stepped down from most of my responsibilities 2 years ago and getting ready to retire now at 55. I have the financial stability to do or buy anything I want at any time. I failed to keep myself in a situation where I wouldn’t be in the position I am now.
    Yes, Roland made a good name for himself and did very well. He would not be where he is now if all he did was guide though. He is very successful . It does not change the fact he is often jerk to put it nicely.

13. Member
    How many of you have fished with him?that's his occupation and he's still doing it at very high rates

14. Member
    I liked his T V shows. I was rescued once by a retired Maryland Park Ranger who spoke unflatteringly about Martin as a young man. They worked in a tackle shop together.

It's easy to front someone unless you actually remember they want to fish as much if not more than you do, and sometimes they are paying the bill. I frequently ask my co-anglers if they can cast comfortably from where the boat is positioned. It's something you need to remember to do.

15. Member
    All you 2nd hand guys who have never meet or talked with him in person and slam on him because you heard.... Well I saw and talked with Roland today at Fellsmere, saw him first out on the water said a few words and then at the end of the day we were next to each other at the ramp waiting to pull out. The man is flat out amazing that he is still out there fishing all day long at the age of 84, he was as chipper and jovial then anyone at the ramp. Willing to talk and take pictures with anyone, once he pulled his boat out he had a crowd around him and was still talking to folks as we were leaving. The man has over a two hour drive home and still spends time talking to folks after fishing all day long. It's very hard for me to believe that you will find many that spends the day fishing with him that has any bad words for the man. He is legendary and a bass fishing Icon that will be greatly missed when gone.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknemo View Post
    All you 2nd hand guys who have never meet or talked with him in person and slam on him because you heard.... Well I saw and talked with Roland today at Fellsmere, saw him first out on the water said a few words and then at the end of the day we were next to each other at the ramp waiting to pull out. The man is flat out amazing that he is still out there fishing all day long at the age of 84, he was as chipper and jovial then anyone at the ramp. Willing to talk and take pictures with anyone, once he pulled his boat out he had a crowd around him and was still talking to folks as we were leaving. The man has over a two hour drive home and still spends time talking to folks after fishing all day long. It's very hard for me to believe that you will find many that spends the day fishing with him that has any bad words for the man. He is legendary and a bass fishing Icon that will be greatly missed when gone.
    Very well put - I could not have said it better.......
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain