Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Proposed fishing regulation change for Harris

15A NCAC 10C .0305 LARGEMOUTH BASSThe proposed amendment removes the possession limit of 16 - 20 inch for Largemouth Bass atShearon Harris Reservoir.Biological data collected over the past 15 years indicates that the current prohibited size range of16 - 20 inches for Largemouth Bass has not worked as intended. Harvest of Largemouth Bass islow at Shearon Harris Lake and few, if any, Largemouth Bass less than 16-inches are beingharvested. Low harvest has resulted in reduced overall average condition of Largemouth Bass.Removing the size restrictions to increase harvest of Largemouth Bass may help increase overallaverage condition and growth of fish greater than 16 inches.
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE
    Tournament Director / Warriors on the Water

2. Member
    I do agree getting rid of that slot limit would absolutely help the growth of that lake. Once they do that everyone better have 18+ lbs for ALL tournaments

They will be putting a length and a limit on crappie in 2016 from what the stories many of us have been told. 10” & 20 fish limit. They said they was going to get rid of the 10-20” length limit in late 2024 and I thought no way since it was all owned by Duke Energy. I guess that wasn’t just a rumor. Hmmm who knew.

3. Member
    It’s about time. When they drop the slot there will be a tournament there every weekend off both ramps with a 3 small club tournaments Saturday and Sunday…
    21 XRS
    Garmin, LVS 34, lithium Pro, SeaClear
    8ft PP, Move and Charge

4. Member
    I agree to that 100%

Quote Originally Posted by BEEZER View Post
    It’s about time. When they drop the slot there will be a tournament there every weekend off both ramps with a 3 small club tournaments Saturday and Sunday…
    Sadly that's true and will clog up the ramps and parking lots. Maybe it'll keep make some of the wakeboarders go elsewhere (heavy sarcasm).
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

6. Member
    oh yeah, that is just what that lake needs. Every 16 to 20 inch fish riding around in a live well. As if the lake wasn’t dead already. That slot limit is the only reason that lake lasted as long as it did after they murdered the grass

7. Member
    yeah funny the lakes decline since the grass has been removed.. maybe they should rethink that

Quote Originally Posted by basshammerwannabe View Post
    yeah funny the lakes decline since the grass has been removed.. maybe they should rethink that
    Same here with Sutton!
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

9. Member
    Slot size limits use targeted angler harvest and protected size ranges to improve fishing quality. Their use goes back to the early 1970's, when fisheries researchers began to investigate the effects of overharvest of largemouth bass on fishing quality and develop management strategies to improve the quality of fishing. Slot size limits were proposed as early as 1974 by Dr. Richard O. Anderson in Missouri.

On a collision course with slot limits was the rapid rise of interest in catch and release fishing by bass fishing enthusiasts. Popular fishing magazines and peer pressure made keeping largemouth bass for the table a negative activity. When bass fishermen do not cooperate and selectively harvest the smaller individuals designated by the slot limit, the regulation becomes a de facto high minimum size limit, just the opposite of what is needed to improve the particular bass population.

When appropriate, selective harvest of bass can be an effective tool of fisheries management, so guys please do your part and do not blame others for participating in the lake management program.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    Slot size limits use targeted angler harvest and protected size ranges to improve fishing quality. Their use goes back to the early 1970's, when fisheries researchers began to investigate the effects of overharvest of largemouth bass on fishing quality and develop management strategies to improve the quality of fishing. Slot size limits were proposed as early as 1974 by Dr. Richard O. Anderson in Missouri.

On a collision course with slot limits was the rapid rise of interest in catch and release fishing by bass fishing enthusiasts. Popular fishing magazines and peer pressure made keeping largemouth bass for the table a negative activity. When bass fishermen do not cooperate and selectively harvest the smaller individuals designated by the slot limit, the regulation becomes a de facto high minimum size limit, just the opposite of what is needed to improve the particular bass population.

When appropriate, selective harvest of bass can be an effective tool of fisheries management, so guys please do your part and do not blame others for participating in the lake management program.
    You Don’t have a clue as to what we are complaining about!
    21 XRS
    8ft PP, Move and Charge

The slot was created to stop big tournaments. The state has screwed up Harris way more than not having a slot ever did.
    Discipline is the key, if you can't hack it, pack it!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basswipe View Post
    The slot was created to stop big tournaments. The state has screwed up Harris way more than not having a slot ever did.

if that is the case I wish they would put a slot on every lake in the state. That was the best lake for its size in the whole world when it had grass and I’m sure the slot limit had a big hand in that as well.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kb_rn87 View Post
    if that is the case I wish they would put a slot on every lake in the state. That was the best lake for its size in the whole world when it had grass and I’m sure the slot limit had a big hand in that as well.
    No Harris was the best fishery on the East coast long before the slot limit. It was literally the best kept secret. BASS and FLW didn’t know what we had. There were 2 large fish kills where thousands of 5-8 # bass were floating on the water. It was heart breaking to all of us and Ive still never heard a logical explanation to what happened. A slot limit was put into effect to attemp to put the fishery back to where it was. Not long after that or about that time we started finding boats out spraying the grass during the week. Years later this is what we have now. There are still big bass in Harris but its not like it once was.
    21 XRS
    8ft PP, Move and Charge

14. Member
    No Harris was the best fishery on the East coast long before the slot limit. It was literally the best kept secret. BASS and FLW didn’t know what we had. There were 2 large fish kills where thousands of 5-8 # bass were floating on the water. It was heart breaking to all of us and Ive still never heard a logical explanation to what happened. A slot limit was put into effect to attemp to put the fishery back to where it was. Not long after that or about that time we started finding boats out spraying the grass during the week. Years later this is what we have now. There are still big bass in Harris but its not like it once was.
    what year was this fish kill? I’ve been fishing it since 1990 and don’t ever remember a major fish kill and it was incredible until the spraying started in the mid to late 2000s.

15. Member
    They were both in the 90’s. I didn’t see the first one which was the worst of the 2. Off my failing memory the 2nd happened around 96-98. I remember talking to older fishermen back then about it when the second one happened. Fishermen acted like it was just part of the eco system and didn’t have and explaination. That was when I was told there was a larger kill that had happened before, that was worse. The lake seemed to bounce right back the following year. I believe it bounced back because of the grass.
    21 XRS
    8ft PP, Move and Charge

Huge Tourny trails always started there. in FEB and MAR sometimes you had to park out on the road there were so many trailers and trucks. This was every year in the late 80s early 90s. The slot stopped it pretty quick actually. Clubs quit going there too. You could still catch fish year round before they detroyed the grass but throwing back those 16-20" fish stopped a lot fo the clubs and trails from even going there.

17. Member
    They were both in the 90’s. I didn’t see the first one which was the worst of the 2. Off my failing memory the 2nd happened around 96-98. I remember talking to older fishermen back then about it when the second one happened. Fishermen acted like it was just part of the eco system and didn’t have and explaination. That was when I was told there was a larger kill that had happened before, that was worse. The lake seemed to bounce right back the following year. I believe it bounced back because of the grass.

I fished that lake every single week back then and this is the first I’ve ever heard of a fish kill. It certainly never affected our catch rates. It was an average of 50 fish or better every trip and always a 7-8 pounder or 2 in there.

18. Member
    I've fished Harris since it opened in 82. Seen days in the early years when a bass assassin would produce 70+ days with a mix of one or two bigger fish. While I don't remember in detail the fish kills but the removal of the grass was the final coffin nail. It's NEVER been the same since they sprayed and won't be until they reverse their direction on their over spraying.

I'm now one of the old guys that used to fish Harris back in the day and have thousands of hours on that body of water. Again, until the state changes its position on spraying the lake will never be what it once used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by kb_rn87 View Post
    That lake was the best lake in the state way before the slot ever even came around.

20. Member
    That lake was the best lake in the state way before the slot ever even came around.
    the slot definitely helped with longevity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast