Lowrance ghost mount extremely noisy

Hey guys, I bought a 2023 ranger staff boat with low hours, well cared for. The lowrance ghost on the boat is about to drive me insane. I have cleaned everything on the mounts, lubed with wd40 and greased per videos I’ve seen on internet, and it is still noisy as crap. Has anyone had luck getting the mount replaced for such noisiness, and how do I prevent it happening again if replaced? I’m not even sure who to carry it to if I have to get replaced.

thanks

chris

It’s probably not mounted level and/or the mounting bolts are loose.

3. Member
    Spray the area where shaft goes thru the spring knucklehead including the coil spring liberally with garage door grease or wd40 and it will make big difference. I use lithium spray grease and it last alot longer but u can see it on coil and that bothers me but it works best.

4. Member
    I’ve had a ghost since they were first released and it’s been nothing but noisy.

5. Member
    Just moved from the Ghost to the PP Move due to the noisy bracket.

6. Member
    Mine is noisy as well. I have to tighten the mounting bolts and lube it a few times a year.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris c View Post
    Hey guys, I bought a 2023 ranger staff boat with low hours, well cared for. The lowrance ghost on the boat is about to drive me insane. I have cleaned everything on the mounts, lubed with wd40 and greased per videos I’ve seen on internet, and it is still noisy as crap. Has anyone had luck getting the mount replaced for such noisiness, and how do I prevent it happening again if replaced? I’m not even sure who to carry it to if I have to get replaced.

thanks

chris
    I had a Ghost, and it was noisier than I would like. I have been on others' boats and they were the same way - especially if you are hard on it. I think the problem is the design of the base and the various points of contact the base has with the swing arm. As was mentioned, if the base is torqued and not mounted flush, this will likely exacerbate the problem.

I had one that was noisy, creaks and pops, my current one is not. Not sure. Course I lube everything I think can make the noise I was hearing.
    Last edited by BMCD; 01-03-2024 at 10:34 AM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Mines bracket/mount is noisy as well, apparently just a noisy design as many folks that experience it... liberal application of lube as mentioned will keep it quite for a while, but eventually the deck bolts will need to be checked and that's a pita for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by marathonman View Post
    Spray the area where shaft goes thru the spring knucklehead including the coil spring liberally with garage door grease or wd40 and it will make big difference. I use lithium spray grease and it last alot longer but u can see it on coil and that bothers me but it works best.
    Can you expand on this - just spray the whole coil sping and area with lithium grease or similar?

11. Member
    Sprayed mine down this weekend we’ll see how it does. Pita oiling everything without it gettifn on boat, and not running all over the tm. I actually used wd40 first and it didn’t make a difference, used a 3-1 oil made for hinges this time.

Quote Originally Posted by chris c View Post
    Sprayed mine down this weekend we’ll see how it does. Pita oiling everything without it gettifn on boat, and not running all over the tm. I actually used wd40 first and it didn’t make a difference, used a 3-1 oil made for hinges this time.
    I bought some spray lithium grease will try that out, just not sure where to spray it - I guess I'll just hit the insides of that knucklehead around where the coil meets top and bottom...

13. Member
    As others have said, you’ll want to re-torque the mounting bolts and make sure they are fairly uniform so the bracket is evenly secured to the boat. Make sure you also use at least 6 mounting bolts and not 4. And yes-wd40 once or twice per season works well for me. I love the Ghost. Mines been mounted on two boats -my old Triton and my new Ranger.
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

14. Member
    Mine is noisy as well and the following has made a big difference. First....WD40 is a water displacement not a lube. Use a lubricant not WD40. As stated, torque the mounting bolts and also the bolts that connect the trolling motor to the mount (should be Five). Use some standard grease on the locking pins where it is deployed and also on the mount where it contacts with the top as it is deployed. I normally just grease my Bobs Jackplate and then take the excess grease that pushed thru and grease the locking pins and the contact point on the mount when the motor is deployed. I plan on moving on to the MOVE.....
    Elwood....Bass Cat Strong

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    2020 Mercury 300R 4S (1E081080)
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!