Blue Ridge Parkway

Checking to see if anyone has gone across the Blue Ridge Parkway on a motorcycle. Looking for info on best time of year and best amount of time to see everything.
    Proud Army Dad

2. Member
    Many times, late spring or in the fall if you want to see the pretty leaves. Don't go too early in the spring due to it being very cold up on top of those mountains. Might want to stop and see the Devil's Courthouse, Mount Mitchell, and Grandfather Mountain. The Shenandoah is also very pretty. Enjoy!

3. Member
    Also forgot to mention the Cherohala Skyway from Robinsville, NC into Telco Plains, Tn. This is a beautiful ride as well and not that long. Mountains and a big beautiful river to enjoy as well. Might want to check out Fontana Lake/Dam while in that area as it is one of the prettiest lakes in this part of the country!

If your coming from Maine, I'd start at the Shenandoah national parks skyline drive which ends at the northern entrance of the blueridge parkway.

Couple motorcycle only motels along the blueridge and be sure to spend the night in Floyd Virginia at the Hotel Floyd.

It's about 580 miles total,with speed limits at 35 and 45 mph.

We took 2 weeks total, including to and from home in Alabama. May or June would be good months.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries

Kind of my only bucket list something to do. I am about 2-1/2 hrs above the the entrance to the Skyline Drive near Front Royal VA. This road has a entrance fee. Not sure of the price. It is about 120 miles if I remember correctly. Max speed on the Skyline drive is 35 and regularly patrolled. The SkyLine Drive turns into the Blue Ridge Parkway at Waynesboro VA. While riding the Skyline Drive you should stop and visit the Luray Caverns. If you are really into caverns, there are multiple others including one near the entrance of the Skyline Drive near Front Royal. During some of your travels you may find sections of the Blue Ridge Parkway closed for travel. There are many things to see along the way or slightly off course. You need to stop in Maggie Valley NC at the lower end of the Parkway. The motorcyle musem Wheels Trough Time is there. Look it up on the internet. If you travel that far south you might as well go over and try out the ride on the Tail of the Dragon in TN. 300+ turns in 11 miles of mountain road. From what I here, you don't want to ride it on the weekends. Time wise, really would depend on sight seeing activities and overlook stops!!! Interstate 81 parralells to the west for much of the journey. I would bet you could spend near three weeks taking this ride without much problem. It really depends on your desire to sight see.

Thank you everyone for the great info. Really looking forward to the trip. My sister and her boyfriend want to ride from here in Maine but I’d much rather trailer down then go across.
    Proud Army Dad

7. Member
    One important thing to know, there is no gas available on the parkway in Va, and unless things have changed, only one spot in NC. The park service used to have a small listing of available gas close to the parkway, but I haven't gotten an updated version in years. Do your homework and plan your gas stops, lodging, and meals.

8. Member
    Rode Skyline into Blue Ridge Parkway in May on our ride down to Myrtle Beach. The scenery was great until the fog rolled in. We had to find a place to stay and turn that portion of our ride into a two day journey.