Thread: 15% Off

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar

15% Off

No it's not another tackle sale..... it's how much less there is of me today after deciding I need to lose some weight back in Aug.

Ever since I retired in 2015 I'd been putting on a few lbs a year and this past summer all of those had added up to me spending most of it around 260. For the last few years I was having issues with my right foot, my left knee and both hips so I decided to see if I could drop 15-20 and see if that made any difference. Well the first 20 did make a world of difference in how my foot, knee and hips felt and I decided to keep going and see if I could get 40 off. As of today, that has happened.

This process hasn't been all that painful because I haven't really done anything extreme - all I've been doing is counting calories and hopping on a bike for 20-30 mins a couple of times a week. I try to stay between 1500 and 1700 calories a day. I haven't really stopped eating anything I've always eaten, I just eat less of it (and sometimes a whole lot less.....). The lowest hanging fruit was the excessive after-dinner TV snacks. Just cutting those out for a couple of weeks was worth 10 lbs. I still have cheat days here and there but I've been really good at getting back to what I've been doing for the last 4 months the next day. I still have my TV snacks but I only have them in amounts that don't put me over 1700 calories for the day. I think the key to success for me was just keeping it simple.

I think I'll go for another 10 lbs and then figure out how to keep myself around there. I'm guessing that maintaining a weight range will probably be a challenge but I quit a 2-3 pack a day smoking habit cold turkey almost 20 years ago so I'm confident I'm up to that challenge.

If you are reading this and are also trying to lose weight, I hope my little story this helps a bit in your journey.....

Apr 23 UPDATE : In my original post I mentioned my plan was to stop losing at 210 and try to stay around that. Well I changed my mind when I hit 210 back in mid-March and decided I wanted to see "199" on my scale "just because". I saw "199" yesterday morning and to mark the occasion I put myself into a pizza coma and it was delightful...... I am now done with the losing part and have moved into "maintenance mode". I plan on just hanging around 200 give or take 2-3 lbs on either side.

I've lost 60 lbs since my avg Aug 2023 weight and 66 lbs from the highest I've seen on the scale. I also have a whole new wardrobe of sweatpants, t-shirts, hoodies, shorts and fishing shirts. It's been a journey to be sure but I feel really good and it's been worth it. There were two occasions back in Feb and Mar where I fished from 8AM - 4PM for 6 days in a row. There was no way I could have done that carrying 40 more lbs - I would have been lucky to get through 3 days.

My wife was huge in all of this because she does all the cooking except for stuff on the smoker. She jumped on the train a few months after I started and she's had her 15% off moment and has a few more lbs that she wants to get rid of. Like quitting smoking, there is no doubt in my mind that succeeding is easier if both of you are doing it.

Good luck on your journey.....
    Last edited by BoatBuggy; 04-23-2024 at 07:10 AM.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

2. Member
    Good for you. I very much need to do the same as I have gone up over 40 lbs in the last year and a half. I also went back to smoking after quitting for an entire year. I think having my 3 closest friends and fishing buddies pass within about a month didn't help.

3. Member
    Good for you losing the weight and keeping it off.

4. Member
    I’m still trying to gain some weight. Down to to 166 after surgery. Up to 175. Taking protein supplements. Walking. Want to be back around 185

5. Member
    Great job!

6. Member
    Congratulations!

7. Member
    I’m in need of doing the same.! Too heavy now.!

8. Member
    Congratulations

9. Member
    You’re a loser.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

10. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    No it's not another tackle sale..... it's how much less there is of me today after deciding I need to lose some weight back in Aug.

Ever since I retired in 2015 I'd been putting on a few lbs a year and this past summer all of those had added up to me spending most of it around 260. For the last few years I was having issues with my right foot, my left knee and both hips so I decided to see if I could drop 15-20 and see if that made any difference. Well the first 20 did make a world of difference in how my foot, knee and hips felt and I decided to keep going and see if I could get 40 off. As of today, that has happened.

This process hasn't been all that painful because I haven't really done anything extreme - all I've been doing is counting calories and hopping on a bike for 20-30 mins a couple of times a week. I try to stay between 1500 and 1700 calories a day. I haven't really stopped eating anything I've always eaten, I just eat less of it (and sometimes a whole lot less.....). The lowest hanging fruit was the excessive after-dinner TV snacks. Just cutting those out for a couple of weeks was worth 10 lbs. I still have cheat days here and there but I've been really good at getting back to what I've been doing for the last 4 months the next day. I still have my TV snacks but I only have them in amounts that don't put me over 1700 calories for the day. I think the key to success for me was just keeping it simple.

I think I'll go for another 10 lbs and then figure out how to keep myself around there. I'm guessing that maintaining a weight range will probably be a challenge but I quit a 2-3 pack a day smoking habit cold turkey almost 20 years ago so I'm confident I'm up to that challenge.

If you are reading this and are also trying to lose weight, I hope my little story this helps a bit in your journey.....
    are you talking stationary bike?
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

11. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    are you talking stationary bike?
    I'm using a borrowed stationary down here in Texas but at home I took my old mountain bike out of the rafters, had it made "road ready" and got one of those thingys that hooks onto the back tire so that bike can be a stationary bike. At home I go riding on the roads on the nice days.

I think the borrowed stationary cheaps out on the calorie count.....

Congratulations on your weight loss. It's exciting to shed that excess weight and feel healthy again. I've lost 80 lbs this year added to the 65 lbs I slowly lost over the past 5 or 6 years. I have another 25 or 30 to go to get to the 190 I'd like to be. Doc put me on Ozempic this year so I had a lot of help but it's been a lot of work and very little eating. Just enough protein (cottage cheese & tuna, salmon, chicken breast) to prevent muscle loss and enough fiber (oatmeal, apples, blueberries ) to keep your bowels moving. Small portions and eat only enough to satisfy my hunger....knowing when that is can be the tricky part.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

13. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    Congratulations on your weight loss. It's exciting to shed that excess weight and feel healthy again. I've lost 80 lbs this year added to the 65 lbs I slowly lost over the past 5 or 6 years. I have another 25 or 30 to go to get to the 190 I'd like to be. Doc put me on Ozempic this year so I had a lot of help but it's been a lot of work and very little eating. Just enough protein (cottage cheese & tuna, salmon, chicken breast) to prevent muscle loss and enough fiber (oatmeal, apples, blueberries ) to keep your bowels moving. Small portions and eat only enough to satisfy my hunger....knowing when that is can be the tricky part.
    145 lbs and counting..... Well done.....

Keeping stuff "moving along" has been a whole lot different these last 4 months.....

I've had very few days where I've actually felt hungry at any point. It helps that I've discovered many foods I really like are low cal and are actually good for me - radishes, olives, pickles - so can grab some of those instead of a chocolate bar or a bag of beef jerky if i need a quick munch. I've always drank a fair amount of water and that helps too.

Doc tells me to drink 60 oz per day. That's 8 big iced tea glasses of water.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    Doc tells me to drink 60 oz per day. That's 8 big iced tea glasses of water.
    I think your math is off. 60 ounces is only 3-20 oz water bottles a day. Most tea glasses are 20-24 ounces. I have a big one and it's 30 ounces.

16. Member
    Congratulations on your accomplishment. I am 6-4 and weigh 275 lbs. I am going to start after New Years. If I cut back on beer drinking and increase exercise I should be able to lose. I would like to lose about 40 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    I think your math is off. 60 ounces is only 3-20 oz water bottles a day. Most tea glasses are 20-24 ounces. I have a big one and it's 30 ounces.
    We have small iced tea glass in Oklahoma. I measured them and they are 16 oz X 8 is.....oh shit you're right.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

18. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Moved update to original post.....
    Last edited by BoatBuggy; 04-23-2024 at 07:09 AM.

Amazing Doug…takes some discipline. Great job

20. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    That's awesome! Healthy Keto, 2 meals a day has me down from 250 to 196. Getting back to the gym after COVID closed everything and made me extra lazy was also a key. It is an awesome feeling. Hopefully the arthritis in the right shoulder continues to improve all be it slowly. Drug free at 63 is also a result. Keep at it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast