Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

jerkbait with braid-to-leader...flouro or mono?

What do you go with and why? I generally do flourocarbon, but I've been thinking about it and I know I've read or heard multiple times that flouro doesn't like to be repeatedly stretched like what you do constantly when you slack line jerk with a jerkbait. Just curious if anyone goes braid-to-leader with mono and if so, have you noticed any negative effects like your bait rising faster or not getting the same action since mono has more stretch?

2. Member
    I use copolymer.

3. Member
    I use a copoly leader as my jerkbait rod is also my topwater rod.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollopoint94 View Post
    I use a copoly leader as my jerkbait rod is also my topwater rod.
    I would use mine for some topwater as well, so the mono or copoly would make sense for that too. Thanks!

5. Member
    Floro. No leader here

6. Member
    I've used braid to fluoro quite a bit with a jerkbait and never had any issues with it. Imo if you're ripping it hard enough to stretch fluoro you're ripping too hard.
    If you want to try mono I really don't think you'll notice much if any depth difference unless you do extra long pauses or you're throwing a deep or extra deep diver. Then you'd see a difference.

7. Member
    Thanks for the replies. I just received a spool of the Shimano Mastiff flourocarbon in 8lb that I plan to use for leaders for a drop shot. I think I'll try using it as a leader for my jerkbaits early next year (before I'd be throwing any topwater) and see how I like it and then maybe try a copoly later in the spring so that I can toss topwater on it as well.

8. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    What do you go with and why? I generally do flourocarbon, but I've been thinking about it and I know I've read or heard multiple times that flouro doesn't like to be repeatedly stretched like what you do constantly when you slack line jerk with a jerkbait. Just curious if anyone goes braid-to-leader with mono and if so, have you noticed any negative effects like your bait rising faster or not getting the same action since mono has more stretch?
    I think what you read and/or heard is bollocks.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

9. Member
    Fluto or copoly. Stretching or snapping has never been an issue with either.

10. Member
    I don't believe stretch is much of a factor until you set the hook...

11. Member
    Braid to floro leader for me. My jerkbait rod is also a multipurpose 6’6” Med fast that I use for a few other techniques so I just like the versatility and sensitivity braid offers
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

My Jerk Bait and Rip Bait Reels are STRAIGHT Yo-Zuri 12 and 15# Hybrid Co-Polymer, no Braid. Has light stretch, strong and abrasion resistant. You want some stretch to help set the hook !! Braid tends to get "Loopy" and can foul the hooks and then your bait won't work right, and Floro Sinks where you need the bait to suspend. I throw them on an IMX 843 Med/Fast Loomis.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    I think what you read and/or heard is bollocks.
    It could be, as I’ve not encountered that problem yet. I just know I’ve seen or read where repeated stretching weakens flouro much more than mono. I’m pretty sure it was a video done by Salt Strong, but I could be wrong.

14. Member
    It could be, as I’ve not encountered that problem yet. I just know I’ve seen or read where repeated stretching weakens flouro much more than mono. I’m pretty sure it was a video done by Salt Strong, but I could be wrong.
    Stretching fluoro, mono, or copoly to the point to breakage, usually renders the length of line involved compromised. But not generally with most fishing, unless you are just beating the crap out of it over thousands of casts and hundreds of heavier fish. Regardless, lines degrade and lose strength due to UV deterioration, casting stress, nicks/abrasion, water absorption, age...

15. Scraps
    I’ve heard of fluoro breaking by the end of a day of heaving big baits like did crankbaits. Don’t think this would apply to jerk bait fishing. Pretty sure “DrewFlu” talked about fishing a jerk on braid and said it works well.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

16. Member
    straight floro, no leader.........never a problem

17. Member
    Copoly, never flouro. The last thing i want is my line effecting my jerkbait's buoyancy.

18. Member
    I recently heard of a new theory on the use of braid in jerkbaits - braid is more textured than mono and this noisier in the water when you rip baits through. I’ve never used braid for jerkbaits so I wouldn’t know how much water this theory holds… but I see the point.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    I recently heard of a new theory on the use of braid in jerkbaits - braid is more textured than mono and this noisier in the water when you rip baits through. I’ve never used braid for jerkbaits so I wouldn’t know how much water this theory holds… but I see the point.
    That theory has been shared for several years, also with rougher 4-carrier braid around vegetation...thing is the rougher 4-carrier is needed to better slice through certain types of said vegetation, so it's a double edged sword.

Some peeps will run a longer leader to minimize this noise from being closer to the actual bait/lure.

20. Member
    I decided I am going to try going straight copolymer instead of braid to leader. I would go straight flouro but I also plan to use this for topwater so I'm going to give copoly a shot. I've never used it before, so I'm hoping I like it. I went with P-Line CXX in 10lb test. Going to throw it on a Daiwa Zillion G and a Shimano Expride B 6'10" Medium that I just purchased. If I try and don't like it then I'll go back to braid-to-leader with either the 10lb poly or some 8lb flouro. Thanks for all the help/suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast