Thread: Tubes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tubes

Anyone here fish tubes? We get sm and lm with them here. Probably as many lm or more than sm. Just wanting some input on how you rig tubes, how you fish and when you fish tubes?

I like the 3 1/2-4in tubes with tube head inserted and exposed hook but there something to be said about t-rigging.

TIA
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

2. Member
    I haven't tried them since moving down south, I probably should. Used them all the time when I lived near Lake Erie. Usually just shove a tube jig up the bottom, sometimes I'd put a rattle in it. T-rig if throwing in a really weedy area.

Nope. Nobody fishes tubes. You should just send all yours to me for proper disposal.

4. Member
    I see you're in East TN. I can tell you that the fish on Ft. Loudon and Tellico will definitely eat a tube pretty much all year. I will Texas rig the larger tube, but I have the best numbers on the simple Bass Pro "Tender Tube" with the cheap Walmart 1/8 oz. tube head inserted. I prefer the greenish/green pumpkin colors.

Not a popular option here in the shallow murky waters of South Jersey which is fine by me because I do VERY well with them
    Ranting incoherently

Texas rig mostly----try one weight less when around beds or shallow cover.

7. Member
    Erie, St. Clair, Detroit River we catch most of our fish on tubes. As you say, both largemouth and smallmouth. 95% of the time we rig a standard ball-head jig inside the tube. The other 5% is split between Texas rig and drop shot rigging. We use a ball head jig, most frequently 3/8 ounce, because it expands the head and makes the tube look more like a goby. When not using a 3 1/2 inch tube we downsize to a 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 inch tube with a short shank 1/8 or 1/4 ounce ball head jig inside. That “bitsy” tube will catch the biggest bass in the lake at times. We don’t use the stupid rig much, as we prefer the helicopter fall with standard tube rigging.

8. Member
    Yes and Texas rigged up until a few years ago and started stupid rigging them. I haven’t Texas rigged one since; just look up stupid rigged tubes.

9. Moderator
    Fished them for years and only used an exposed hook.

Stupid rigged, flip and pitch it or work it like a T-rigged worm.

11. Member
    There is a rigging method where you shove a bell sinker up to the tube head, then take a 2/0 hook and run that thru the line tie on the sinker, then texpos the hook. Try it. Was on bassmaster mag about a year ago.

I still throw the Reaction Innovations Boom Boom tube as well as the YUM Vibraking. I've won some money over the years on the YUM in green pumpkin. Always Texas rigged. Mark Hembree(Mizzou) on here that passed away recently used to throw a tube every time we fished together. He would catch a ton on them.

13. Member
    I use tubes on on a few specific lakes. BPS tender tubes, SK 3.5” coffee tubes, and Netbait STH 2.5” tubes are my go to
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

14. Member
    Tubes have been a staple here in the rivers for a long time. People are now using ned rigs, swimbaits, etc. but a tube will catch them under all conditions. Most people like the 3 - 3 1/2" with an internal weighted jighead. There's a never-ending number of colors, but anything in smoke, green pumpkin, brown, or black are the big favorites. There was a bunch of excitement over the fat "double-dipped" tubes years ago but that has mostly died out here.

15. Member
    Always got one tied on. Green, green pumpkin, watermelon/red. I dip the tails with orange dye most of the time. Get the Net Hooks has a good quality tube jig, I usually rig with their weedless tube jig, it's a pain in the butt, I fish around a lot of wood and rocks and moving water.

16. Member
    I'm a texas rigged tube fishing fanatic.

17. Member
    I threw one a ton the first couple years I got into bass fishing, and specifically for smallmouth, then went forever without using one. That was up until 3 years ago, I was fishing the Columbia pre spawn and couldn't get bit on reaction baits so I tried a finesse jig for a while and I was getting bites, but they weren't taking it. Finally switched to a tube and those bites turned into fish in the boat. Since then, I have a tube tied on everytime I fish for smallies and will for the greens ones as well
    It's funny how you can sometimes go away from a tried and true bait, to only come back to it and wonder why I went years without touching it haha.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Classicxl View Post
    Always got one tied on. Green, green pumpkin, watermelon/red. I dip the tails with orange dye most of the time. Get the Net Hooks has a good quality tube jig, I usually rig with their weedless tube jig, it's a pain in the butt, I fish around a lot of wood and rocks and moving water.
    You fish them on Cumberland, Green or Herrington any?

I’ve used tubes since the mid 90’s. Only for SM. Use them on the rivers and the smallie lakes. Like them.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

20. Member
    Have fished them on all three. I fish them like a worm , yoyo or lift and fall back to the boat. I've caught a lot of smallmouth with them on Cumberland, Green, and Laurel.

You fish them on Cumberland, Green or Herrington any?
    Last edited by Classicxl; 12-26-2023 at 07:35 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast