Shimano Conquest 842C MBR, which reel?

I was fortunate to receive a Shimano GL Conquest 842C MBR rod for Xmas. I will be using Sunline Sniper 12lb most likely. I’m going to try a variety of lures on this rod, but mostly 3/16oz shaky heads, under spins, and weightless plastics, and finesse jigs.

I would like to pair a higher end reel with this rod. Budget is around $350 and needs to be available on TW. Would prefer to keep it Shimano. Suggestions?

Also, what do you guys throw on this rod?

Thanks!
    2017 Nitro Z20 Pro
    2017 Mercury 225hp Pro XS

2. Member
    I have the same rod paired with a ‘20 model JDM Metanium.

3. Member
    Aldebaran or metanium.
    Either one will pair up nicely with that rod.

4. Member
    Alde. Keep it light.
    -Matt

5. Member
    For a Shimano reel, I would rec the Aldebaran, but the 50 size since you will be using 12lb Sniper.

6. Member
    I just bought a Metanium Shallow addition. That would pair nicely

7. Member
    The main challenge I see is that you state it needs to be from TW (gift cards perhaps?), and with you having a $350 budget and only considering Shimano...a Curado MGL may be your best option unless you are enamored with the current Chronarch.

Thank you for the replies.

My highest end Shimano right now is a Curado. I really like the looks of the Alderbaran, I will probably try to find one of those used and save the TW gift cards for something else. I feel like this rod deserves something really light and high end.

For now, I will put a Curado 70K MGL on it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 187famous187 View Post
    Thank you for the replies.

My highest end Shimano right now is a Curado. I really like the looks of the Alderbaran, I will probably try to find one of those used and save the TW gift cards for something else. I feel like this rod deserves something really light and high end.

For now, I will put a Curado 70K MGL on it.
    There's a 7 gear ratio Alde 50 on the BBC For Sale/Trade forum right now: https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1247042

10. Member
    Don’t give up on the Curado 70. That is one bad little reel. It’s a little heavier, but it casts beautifully with that MGL spool, and it feels tough as nails. Love my Alde’s, and sometimes a dainty little finesse reel is exactly what I need. But I could use them interchangeably.

I would not get an Alde without the MGL spool personally. If it’s those two choices, give me the curado 70 MGL.
    -Matt

11. Member
    I’ve tried a lot of reels on that rod. Personally, I’d never put a mentanium on it, it feels like a brick for may reasons. The absolute best pairing I’ve found is. Steez ct sv 70.

The old model is the same as the new and you can find new in box 19 models for under $400. Id even buy a used one and put it on that rod. They are that good. I’ve got four steez ct svs and in four seasons I haven’t had to do any maintenance, still like new.

put a 90 or 100mm paddle handle on it and you’ll be in heaven. I’ve also put the curado 70 mgl on it, it’s too heavy. I had the alderbaran but the little bit extra weight and line capacity of the steez ct sv was perfect.
    Last edited by Chief250; 12-27-2023 at 03:33 PM.