Thread: Used Ranger

Used Ranger

Looking at used Rangers, R boats are off the table financially. Most likely a 520 in the 2020 range with a 4 stroke. L or C boat and is there a year where quality dropped?

Thanks for opinions.

2. Member
    Don’t know that quality has dropped? You will get a fine rig(either/or) in that range. Good luck

3. Member
    my 2022 was terrible but most are just fine 2018 and older the best ones likely
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    My '19 520C is a great boat. Don't believe everything you read regarding Ranger quality. My 19 is a better built boat than my '12 Z520 was.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    My '19 520C is a great boat. Don't believe everything you read regarding Ranger quality. My 19 is a better built boat than my '12 Z520 was.
    mine was a turd at first but after months of work might be ok now!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    mine was a turd at first but after months of work might be ok now!
    Oh, we know. You've complained about it non stop since day 1. If I was that unhappy with a purchase, I would have dumped it a long time ago....no matter the bath I would have taken.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    Odd, I bought my boat from the original owner in 2019 as he bought a brand new one. He said my 1995 is much better quality than his. Theyre still fantastic boats but just the WRM quality isn’t as refined as Woods Mfg
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Odd, I bought my boat from the original owner in 2019 as he bought a brand new one. He said my 1995 is much better quality than his. Theyre still fantastic boats but just the WRM quality isn’t as refined as Woods Mfg
    Everyone has an opinion.

9. Member
    Bought my ‘21 Z521L from a member here earlier this year, and couldn’t be happier.

My buddy just bought a used ‘21 Z520L and he is also quite happy. He’s dragging it up here tomorrow and we are going to spend the next three or four days exploring Mead.

Good luck - hope you find what you’re looking for.

10. Member
    My R had issues, but Ranger has made it right. I have zero complaints. Warranty extended to 5 years is tough to beat. That move alone sold me on Ranger (again).

Odd, I bought my boat from the original owner in 2019 as he bought a brand new one. He said my 1995 is much better quality than his.
    He’d never tell you that because he was selling you a boat?

Theyre still fantastic boats but just the WRM quality isn’t as refined as Woods Mfg
    I’m curious as to how you would come to that conclusion?

Which era of Wood manufacturing would you be referencing? Thompson Holdings? Genmar? Platinum equity? Your 95 is a Irwin Jacobs era Genmar boat. The point I would make is there have been many iterations of Ranger boats corporate status. The Woods weren’t involved except in promotion after 1987…Randy Hopper and the core leadership remained through out them all until after the WRM acquisition.

Respectfully…saying that boats of nearly 30 years ago aren't as “refined” as a modern Ranger boat is a bit ridiculous and sounds more like parroting what one reads on the internet, rather than actual experience in and familiarity with the brand.

I’ve had 2002 2007 2015 and 2016 Rangers as well as Cherokee Aluminum and fished out of post WRM boats many times. Can’t say I saw one bit of difference in the quality of any of them. This is not to say mass produced products of any kind are without issues from time to time. Ranger has had their share, like any other brand of boat represented on the BBC. Its my belief that the issues (which are dwarfed by the number of satisfied owners who never come to the internet to express their satisfaction) are just more known because of the tendency to get more attention via social media.

Anyway…thought your comment was interesting and warranted a response…have a great rest of your Christmas Day.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa1117 View Post
    Looking at used Rangers, R boats are off the table financially. Most likely a 520 in the 2020 range with a 4 stroke. L or C boat and is there a year where quality dropped?

Thanks for opinions.
    No there isn’t…just look over any used boat carefully. If you have a mechanic, an engine inspection would be wise. Personally biased of course I prefer the C boat for appearance. I didn’t like the larger plastic shrouded consoles of the L boats, but it’s a minor complaint. If you read on the Ranger web site…the R boat hulls are based off the C boat hulls with tweaks. That would tell me something about performance. If you get into an R boat…make sure the “RIDE” system is functioning properly. Boat shopping…good problem to have!

Thanks for opinions.
    Full disclosure...I've only had two Ranger boats, a 94 361V and my current, 2013 Z520c.

Both boats are grand slams. I don't see any drop in quality from one to the other, but I like the modern features of my 2013 over the 1994 model.

When you're shopping for your next boat, ask lots of questions, do your homework. When I bought my 520, I set out looking for a 2013 or newer 520 with a 250 Merc and twin PowerPoles. So, determine what your needs are and that will help you home in on the right boat. Good luck and have fun.

Steel City Bassmasters - Granite City, Illinois

14. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    It’s just a different owner of the brand than it used to be is all. Forrest wood sold ranger in 1987 to Thompson company and in 1991 they sold it to Genmar. Genmar went bankrupt in 2009 and plantinum equity bought it and then WRM purchased it.

These boats are as good or better than they ever were. So if you want a “real” forrest wood owned ranger boat you’d have to get a 1987 or older boat. He was involved in promotion of the boats and that’s about it. Just a figure head after 1987. I’ll take a new ranger over any 1987 or older “refined” ranger any day of the week! MUCH better boats.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by H2O_Fowl View Post
    It’s just a different owner of the brand than it used to be is all. Forrest wood sold ranger in 1987 to Thompson company and in 1991 they sold it to Genmar. Genmar went bankrupt in 2009 and plantinum equity bought it and then WRM purchased it.

These boats are as good or better than they ever were. So if you want a “real” forrest wood owned ranger boat you’d have to get a 1987 or older boat. He was involved in promotion of the boats and that’s about it. Just a figure head after 1987. I’ll take a new ranger over any 1987 or older “refined” ranger any day of the week! MUCH better boats.
    the people that left Ranger to start vexus were probably more important than forest Woods was to the quality and construction and overall fitness of the company as a whole actually. When they left something changed likely
    MAGA

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    the people that left Ranger to start vexus were probably more important than forest Woods was to the quality and construction and overall fitness of the company as a whole actually. When they left something changed likely
    Likely?

From where I’m sitting, “likely” is that much of your issues are between the steering wheel and the driver’s seat.

17. Member
    Man didn't mean to get you guys riled up. I've owned three Rangers. Liked them all, except the 205 rode a little rough. Will be looking at a 2020 520c. Been told Ranger lessened the amount of Glass and foam in the boats after 2016? I'm sure speculation. Does anyone know if the starboard front locker will hold a 7' rod?

Man didn't mean to get you guys riled up. I've owned three Rangers. Liked them all, except the 205 rode a little rough. Will be looking at a 2020 520c. Been told Ranger lessened the amount of Glass and foam in the boats after 2016? I'm sure speculation. Does anyone know if the starboard front locker will hold a 7' rod?
    Hard to imagine the 2016 and later MY boats being constructed with "less" glass and foam since there is virtually no difference in the layout of the 520c from 2013 through 2022.

As for 7 foot rods in the STBD locker, I don't use that side for rod storage. I carry rods in the center and Port lockers. I use the Starboard locker for longer miscellaneous items like the paddle/oar, net, and light pole, along with the throwable PFD and rain suit(s). The Port locker is significantly shorter than the Starboard locker.

Steel City Bassmasters - Granite City, Illinois

19. Member
    Any number of high end well built rigs listed, Rangers, Basscat, Phoenix and so on. Pick up the phone, talk to the owner, inspect the boat! Take it out, run the boat! The best way to make a decision on a used boat regardless of the year or make !

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbumpilori View Post
    Any number of high end well built rigs listed, Rangers, Basscat, Phoenix and so on. Pick up the phone, talk to the owner, inspect the boat! Take it out, run the boat! The best way to make a decision on a used boat regardless of the year or make !
    Thanks for the advice. Was just trying get the difference on c vs L and possible quality drop. Landed on a C and from most guys I talk to quality is still there.