Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reel and Rod Pairing

Recently purchased a Steez Moving Bait Versatile which is a 7’2 Medium.
    Looking for a reel to pair with this rod. My initial thought was budget, but that simply won’t do. The second thought it a used Steez CT off eBay either 7:1 or 8:1 but my concern is spool size. I just don’t think it will hold enough line. This will mainly fish senkos, shallow cranks, finesse swim jigs, light spinnerbaits so 10-16lb flouro. My other thought is an older Steez, something with a bit of character.Trying to keep it at $400 or less but I know that will be tough.
    Last edited by NathanDLTH; 12-20-2023 at 06:53 PM.

2. Member
    Steez A II. Can be had on most JDM sites for around $370 U.S. I brought 2 this fall.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggerjake View Post
    Steez A II. Can be had on most JDM sites for around $370 U.S. I brought 2 this fall.
    x2. If you don't want to go jdm get the zillion sv g

4. Member
    Unless you're set on the combo being Steez/Steez, I don't think you can go wrong with a Zillion G.

If I’m going with a Zillion, I’d like to find the previous model. But I’ve tossed that idea around, grabbing a Zillion.

The Steez A II seems like a good pick, just wonder if it’ll throw 1/4oz baits. That’s my only thought.

6. Member
    2024 steez sv tw

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanDLTH View Post
    If I’m going with a Zillion, I’d like to find the previous model. But I’ve tossed that idea around, grabbing a Zillion.

The Steez A II seems like a good pick, just wonder if it’ll throw 1/4oz baits. That’s my only thought.
    I pitch 3/16oz t-rigs with it mostly.Could probably do an 1/8oz with a craw trailer no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jiggerjake View Post
    I pitch 3/16oz t-rigs with it mostly.Could probably do an 1/8oz with a craw trailer no problem.
    Thanks, that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollopoint94 View Post
    2024 steez sv tw
    Seems like it might be out of my price range, but I love the Steez platform.
    Last edited by NathanDLTH; 12-21-2023 at 06:22 AM.

10. Member
    Seems like it might be out of my price range. I love the Steez platform, but seems like a bit much.
    My apologies, I didn't notice that. The previous Steez SV TW would also be a good choice.

11. Member
    If you are considering a Daiwa with a 34 mm shaft less spool, then get the gear ratio and reel model you like best in your budget range, minus ~ $60, and pick up a Ray's 34 mm BFS spool for your mag-finesse 1/8-1/4 techs.
    Last edited by dragon1; 12-20-2023 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollopoint94 View Post
    My apologies, I didn't notice that. The previous Steez SV TW would also be a good choice.
    All good, I’m looking at an older limited Steez SV because it’s a traditional 8:1, but the new stee a might worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    If you are considering a Daiwa with a 34 mm shaft less spool, then get the gear ratio and reel model you like best in your budget range, minus ~ $60, and pick up a Ray's 34 mm BFS spool for your mag-finesse 1/8-1/4 techs.
    Good to know!

14. Member
    I’m not familiar with that rod, but its weight/balance point better determines which reel really fits it best. Try some of your other reels and see where it balances at. An ounce at the reel only moves the balance point 1/2 inch (if that). Once you figure out what weight your reel needs to be, you got all the choices your heart desires ($400 will pick up almost anything on the JDM market) and any current Diawa or Shimano can handle the lure range you’re looking at. Probably have to look at top of the line Abu (Zenon or older MGX) for the same performance there.

Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    I’m not familiar with that rod, but its weight/balance point better determines which reel really fits it best. Try some of your other reels and see where it balances at. An ounce at the reel only moves the balance point 1/2 inch (if that). Once you figure out what weight your reel needs to be, you got all the choices your heart desires ($400 will pick up almost anything on the JDM market) and any current Diawa or Shimano can handle the lure range you’re looking at. Probably have to look at top of the line Abu (Zenon or older MGX) for the same performance there.
    This is a good thought, I tried different reels last night. The Steez reels were towards the blank, zillions were around the lock but. The balance is solid. Would like to land with a Daiwa. Just looking for ideas.

I like the Steez A II, but being its magsealed not sure how I feel about that. I like to clean and lube my reels.

16. Member
    Just my $.02 but if you go with zillion, I would highly recommend the newest zillion sv g over previous models. I actually prefer my zillion sv g over my steez a

Can anyone speak to the maintenance of a Steez A II and what a consumer can do vs what would need a professional shop or Daiwa
    ?

18. Member
    Can anyone speak to the maintenance of a Steez A II and what a consumer can do vs what would need a professional shop or Daiwa
    ?
    If you know how to properly service a Daiwa or Shimano or any other BC reel, you can service the Steez A II, aside the MagSeal ferrofluid. FWIW, some peeps actually replace the MagSeal bearing with a standard high quality SS or CRB and apply a quality bearing grease.

This vid is not in English, and is on the Steez A HLC, but is a very good reference:

19. Member
    All good, I’m looking at an older limited Steez SV because it’s a traditional 8:1, but the new stee a might worth a look.
    I have a Steez Limited 105SV that has been Ian tuned and modded quite a bit...even stock, it's a very good reel. I actually run a Ray's BFS spool in this same reel with YGK 16lb SS112 and with overfilling the spool, can get about 45 yards on...along with an Evergreen Tactics Super Nova glass rod, I toss everything treble hook from 1/8 - 1/2, and if I change to a L/ML/M powered graphite rod, I can easily fish most any BFS and mag-finesse technique.

20. Member
    This is a good thought, I tried different reels last night. The Steez reels were towards the blank, zillions were around the lock but. The balance is solid. Would like to land with a Daiwa. Just looking for ideas.

I like the Steez A II, but being its magsealed not sure how I feel about that. I like to clean and lube my reels.
    Right at the locknut is a good balance point if you can achieve it. For what it’s worth, the current Metaniums weigh exactly the same as the new Zillions. I have both and the Metanium feels better casting to me, but I think it’s my “feel” preference for centrifugal braking vs magnetic braking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast