My flat tire just became a broken lug too, with Life Time lurication hubs. Now what?

As stated I snapped off my lug today when trying to get my flat repaired. All 4 hubs have brakes. I would like to save the hub with the lub system but I don’t think it is possible. Fortunately I am at home where I may be able to deal with it on my own. I am in the middle of bass boat country here in Central Florida, very close to the Harris Chain. I am hoping some of you guys can give me some sense of direction here so I can get started on my problem. Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated. It is a Bass Cat Cougar, and BassCat trailer. I appreciate your responses, David

2. Member
    If you snapped the lug and stud off the I'd think you can just remove the other lugs, pull the hub, remove the old stud, and install a new one?
    08 Stroker - '23 300R 1.75 Gears

3. Member
    Should be able to drive the broken stud out and just put in a new stud which will be available, at all good auto parts stores,
    Last edited by mactlman; 12-20-2023 at 11:15 AM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Thanks guys, yeah it tapped out of the hub with little to no difficulties. I wasn’t expecting that it come out so easily. So off to the auto parts store and the tire repair place. Thanks fellas!

There are dozens of stud variations and finding one might be challenging. Recently a friends Jeep needed all new studs, they came from about 6 different sources to get 20 total.

6. Member
    As Bass Cat Boats said, be very careful with getting a new stud. If you have closed center lug nuts, length of thread is a major consideration. When I worked on 18 wheelers, company policy was to replace the studs on both sides of the broken stud as a just in case deal.

This
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    Should be able to drive the broken stud out and just put in a new stud which will be available, but all good auto parts stores,

"the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

9. Member
    Imo overtorque causes this. My little work car I have broken several through the yrs. Whether I work on something that involves tire removal or having the work performed by an other, I always request no impact wrenches. Hand torqued with a calibrated torque wrench.
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

10. Scraps
    Aiiy, take a good stud with you to get another. Find a good auto parts store and hopefully they can match one up. There are many different sizes and thread combos. The old stud should either be driven out or is threaded. Dont try to drive out a threaded stud - i know.

The are impact set studs.

12. Member
    After running around to 3 different auto supply stores I decided the best course of action was to replace the snapped stud with original equipment. I was able to purchase studs from Eastern Trailer for my UFP hubs. I thought it best to buy enough for one hub plus some extras. Redngoo, I agree on the overtorque theory, I am probably going a little “gorilla when tightening my lug nuts, because I had them go bad on my old Stratos rig. Thanks guys for all your help!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Aiiy, take a good stud with you to get another. Find a good auto parts store and hopefully they can match one up. There are many different sizes and thread combos. The old stud should either be driven out or is threaded. Dont try to drive out a threaded stud - i know.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel fitter View Post
    After running around to 3 different auto supply stores I decided the best course of action was to replace the snapped stud with original equipment. I was able to purchase studs from Eastern Trailer for my UFP hubs. I thought it best to buy enough for one hub plus some extras. Redngoo, I agree on the overtorque theory, I am probably going a little “gorilla when tightening my lug nuts, because I had them go bad on my old Stratos rig. Thanks guys for all your help!
    torque to 85-100 ft lbs no anti-sieze
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

15. Member
    Thanks, mactlman, for getting those torque nut specs, I spend some time looking in my owners manual for that spec. With no luck, I might add, now I need to buy a torque wrench. Thanks to everyone who commented on my original post. I was a little “spun out” when I broke broke that lug stud, and you guys talked me off of the ledge