Looking to have a rod built

Looking to have a rod built from the guides I have from a 7’ medium fast St Croix Legend X

im wanting a 7’2” or 7’3” medium heavy moderate fast action on a St Croix SCV blank

who’s out there that has access to this blank?

im looking for experienced rod builders that have a reputation

please hit me up so we can discuss

also willing to speak via phone or text at 319-930-0042

****edit. Found out handle from my Legend X cannot be used. Which is fine. Not particularly set on that handle anyways
    Last edited by caskey_b; 12-18-2023 at 08:58 PM.
    *BRIAN CASKEY*
    '00 Tracker ProTeam 185 Special Edition
    '99 75 hp Merc ELPTO (ser. 0G837626)
    Minn Kota Terrova 80 w/Ipilot
    Helix 10 Sonar/GPS / bow 360 / RC-1
    Helix 7 CHIRP MSI GPS G3
    STRICTLY Shimano and St. Croix!!!!

I am a hobby builder primarily to get better rods at a better price point. Also, I love the St. Croix rod actions, but absolutely hate how their factory rods balance so I have several St. Croix blanks that were bought before they stopped selling blanks.

I have re-used components before like you are referencing, but a handle is hard to re-use because the old blank is glued to the actual grips and handle. It looks like the legend x lineup uses a hidden thread Fuji PTS reel seat and a near identical handle could be made without having to try to salvage the old one.

FYI, St. Croix no longer offers blanks direct to builders like they used to. However, they sell blanks through rod geeks that are basically the same thing, but re-branded. Here are their current SCV blanks: https://rodgeeks.com/collections/fro...arbon-5-series

I have an older gen 76mhmf (green SCV) blank from the factory that I built into a casting rod that is a nice blank for what I bought it for (4-6" swimbaits and 1/2-3/4 spinnerbaits). They have the newest gen available above that would probably trim down to your requested length pretty nice.

There is a rod builder by me, Kraemer Custom Rods in West Bend, that used to exclusively build on St Croix blanks before they stopped offering blanks. He does very good work and could offer some valuable knowledge.

3. Member
    Those 7 ft. blanks are still out there, my choice would be to add the 2 - 3 inches than to cut down a rod that looks on paper to be not what you want in line and lure ratings, stretching the blank changes nothing. Wouldn't need anything special to accomplish it for any real builder. Just stretched one 7 inches just today, grip and reel seat on also. Using your rear grip can't be done, in essence a part of the blank, with the new carbon reel seats and grips available one of those would be my choice on a high end build, lots of options from Fuji, American Tackle, Mudhole, Sea Guide, North Fork Composites to look at.
    Last edited by Spoonplugger1; 12-18-2023 at 05:15 PM.

4. Member
    To clarify what Dwtaylor said, St Croix still sells blanks to hobby builders.

St Croix bought out RodGeeks and sells blanks through them. So you are actually buying direct from St Croix when you order through RG, the mailing address on the packages is St Croixs Park Falls WI facility and the phone number/email contact is the St Croix customer service.. for all intents and purposes, they are the same as if they sold direct under the St Croix name.
    C2 are SCII blanks
    B3 are the SCIII+ blanks used by the victories
    C4 are SCIV blanks
    C5 are SCV blank

It looks like the Fuji PTS reelseat. Like dwtaylor said, the handle can easily be matched. https://mudhole.com/products/fuji-pt...34490954514565

im just a hobby builder and dont consider myself good enough to take on other peoples work, but that should be a relatively easy build for any competent builder with a good rep.
    Last edited by ECobb91; 12-19-2023 at 08:34 AM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Member
    The blank you want is a C576MHMF from Rod Geeks and cut it to the length you want, retails at $220. I'd counter that blank with a NFC Xray MB7108 cut to your length which can be had right now for $75 (plus NFC's $10 excise).

I'm assuming you're looking for a jig/plastics rod. Another thing to keep in mind...you'll most likely have to pay for a new tip (another $16). Also Legend Xtreme's use an SK seat. You can come close to the Legend Xtreme handle with a AT G2 but they only come in 9 and 12". You can cut the 12 or I've had a guy in the shop at work make me a black delrin spacer/adapter that can both add a little length and create a transition between the G2 and the seat because they don't always line up perfectly especially with SKs

6. Member
    You can of course do what you want, but looking at the specs for both blanks the 7 ft 6 in blank has a full 1/64 in. larger tip and virtually the same size butt, make me suspect it's heavier walled tip to butt, it's a full 1/2 oz. heavier in SCV material and has a 1/4 oz. higher lure rating also which leads me there also. A proper sized 6 inch piece of blank, 3 in - 3 out would take 10 minutes tops to install, start to finish, 3 inches of blank extension can never fail, and all the minor weight is in the butt only for balance. A quick look showed me that Versitex and other still had them. For the builder you are looking for they can do any of this in their sleep. He said he wanted this rod 3 inches longer, this is the rod that length, not a maybe, that I just hung my reputation on.
    Last edited by Spoonplugger1; 12-19-2023 at 11:12 AM.