St John's River/Lake George Lodging Recommendations?

Thinking about headed down that way to try out the new boat and do some fishing for a few days at the end of January. I have never been over that way before. Looking for a nice place to stay. Last time I stayed near the Harris Chain someone broke into my boat and helped themselves to some of my stuff. I brought 90% of my stuff into the room but they still got me. Would like to avoid having that happen again. Maybe a lodge or somewhere other than a hotel would be nice. I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Look for an AirB&B. That is what I did a few years ago.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    Castaways in Astor is nice and safe, but Lake George has been dead from spraying and then a hurricane finished it off. The best of the worst is north of George.

Bass World.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

5. Member
    I live within 40 miles of dozens of ramps on St. Johns and barely fish anymore. I use to fish George 50 times a year and have not been in two. Save your money and go elsewhere unless you want to C-rig shell bars.

Quote Originally Posted by BOATS View Post
    Bass World.
    I drove through Bass World the other day and it was looking pretty rough. Not sure if owners are just letting it go or what. It's always been... Rustic I think is how they describe it lol, but lately it's looking more meth-lab ish :(.

Renegades usually gets a lot of recommendations - they have cabins and RV spots, ramp and covered docks with lift straps, restaurant/bar/etc. It's a pretty popular spot.

But as mentioned, I would drive further south and hit up Harris Chain or Toho if I could choose. FWC has all but killed SJR.

7. Member
    If you absolutely want to go to the St Johns I would recommend staying at Renegades their cabins are newer, there is a gate to the campground where the cabins are located and there is a boat launch. But like others have stated the fishing is tough because of the lack of grass from mainly overspraying and to some extent the hurricanes a few years ago.
    Bass Boat
    Powered by an outboard
    Electronics at helm and up front
    Pulled by my truck

Quote Originally Posted by BassnPhoenix920 View Post
    If you absolutely want to go to the St Johns I would recommend staying at Renegades their cabins are newer, there is a gate to the campground where the cabins are located and there is a boat launch. But like others have stated the fishing is tough because of the lack of grass from mainly overspraying and to some extent the hurricanes a few years ago.

Rent a cabin at renegades.

Or the big house they have.

Great place, tiki bar & restaurant

book ASAP as they sell out.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

9. Member
    Umm yeah, I recently stayed at Bass World. Its will definitely cost you the least.

10. Member
    That's really sad to hear about the spraying of St. John's! I know how frustrating it is as they have done it to several lakes in my area as well. It's not the government doing it though its the idiots that live on the lakes that pay to have it done think they can turn it into a big swimming pool. I have been hearing that about a lot of places in Florida too.

My other thought was to go to the Everglades and hit the canals or possibly Okeechobee. Is there anywhere else anyone would recommend? I greatly appreciate the help.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigjc00 View Post
    That's really sad to hear about the spraying of St. John's! I know how frustrating it is as they have done it to several lakes in my area as well. It's not the government doing it though its the idiots that live on the lakes that pay to have it done think they can turn it into a big swimming pool. I have been hearing that about a lot of places in Florida too.

My other thought was to go to the Everglades and hit the canals or possibly Okeechobee. Is there anywhere else anyone would recommend? I greatly appreciate the help.
    I would recommend South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, or Texas.

Spraying on SJR tidal sections is not as much of an issue as it is on the lakes (like Big O, Kissimmee, Istokpoga), rather SJR has more of a biological imbalance problem. The hurricanes, especially Matthew in 2016, ripped out the grass and literally put it up in the trees. There was a large biomass that was/is dependent on the grasses (predominantly eelgrass), and while the critters seemed to survive the storms, their food source did not.

So what happens on the SJR is that as soon as vegetation grows, it gets eaten. Biologists are finding the grass will grow in fenced enclosures, but will disappear almost overnight if the fence is moved or removed.

At the same time, the tilapia population has taken off, and their preferred diet is plants and algae, but will eat almost anything. There are bass in the SJR, but for the most part you will work hard to get bit.

12. Member
    Headwaters in Florida is where I would recommend fishing can be good this time of year in between the fronts the only issues are the speed limit and floating vegetation can impart navigation.
    Bass Boat