Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do you like the X19 compared to a glass boat? Any reliability issues?

How do you like the X19 compared to a glass boat? Any reliability issues?

2. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    For me personally, I would have a very hard time going back to glass. My X19 does all the things a bass boat should and I don't have to worry about scratches or bumping something under or above water. I'm still careful with it but the fear of repair is minimal.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkyarcher View Post
    For me personally, I would have a very hard time going back to glass. My X19 does all the things a bass boat should and I don't have to worry about scratches or bumping something under or above water. I'm still careful with it but the fear of repair is minimal.
    Definitely some positives there

4. Member
    Looking forward to seeing some owners answers. I just bought a X19 with a 200 Vmax on the 6th but haven't had it out on the water yet (back issues) and need to get it rigged up. For me, with interest rates and the price of all boats these days, it just made more sense to spend less than half the money and have it paid off in half the time.

My biggest concern is trying to keep the inside of the boxes dry, pretty much every video I've watched, they all say the boxes get wet in anything other than a light rain. I'd hate to have to pull everything out to dry it out so hooks and stuff don't rust. I'm considering pulling all the flooring carpet out of the boxes and replacing it with that spaghetti matting like they put under the seats so maybe it wouldn't hold the moisture like carpet would? I also ordered some of that rubber trim material to put on the lip of the boxes to maybe help seal them up.

One question I have and haven't seen talked about is, is it a dry ride, I've heard it handles rough water well but with no flare to the gunnels, is it relatively dry?
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Koma View Post
    Looking forward to seeing some owners answers. I just bought a X19 with a 200 Vmax on the 6th but haven't had it out on the water yet (back issues) and need to get it rigged up. For me, with interest rates and the price of all boats these days, it just made more sense to spend less than half the money and have it paid off in half the time.

My biggest concern is trying to keep the inside of the boxes dry, pretty much every video I've watched, they all say the boxes get wet in anything other than a light rain. I'd hate to have to pull everything out to dry it out so hooks and stuff don't rust. I'm considering pulling all the flooring carpet out of the boxes and replacing it with that spaghetti matting like they put under the seats so maybe it wouldn't hold the moisture like carpet would? I also ordered some of that rubber trim material to put on the lip of the boxes to maybe help seal them up.

One question I have and haven't seen talked about is, is it a dry ride, I've heard it handles rough water well but with no flare to the gunnels, is it relatively dry?
    Did you go new or used? I have read about the wet compartments as well. Apparently no way to really stop it, just maybe slow it down a bit.

6. Member
    Ours is an older X19 (2001) and I can say the ride is certainly better than a straight flat bottom and many other glass rigs I have ridden in. As far as dry ride, I really think that depends on wind strength and wave height. All bass boats are relatively low to the water and are prone to having some spray. That said, the X19 seems to ride high and bow even higher when on plane and trimmed correctly. Skittering over 1-2 foot waves is no problem at all. Your side spray is behind the drivers seat for sure. So any spray tends to be behind you if it's not crazy windy. I've driven a fair number of boats of different styles and I can certainly say the ride and fish-ability of the X19 is impressive. Reliability issues are likely more related to the OB, in this case the vast majority come with Yami's. They "tend" to be very reliable if cared for properly IMO. Our rig is older, so really no issues I wouldn't expect from a geriatric boat/motor/trailer... LOL

7. Member
    A 2001 here also, mine was owned by a older fellow and hit a stump cracking the keel weld about 16". It also had the normal knee brace cracking, nothing major but knowing what I was planning to do with it. I added 2 more braces, boxed in the top plate, repaired the cracks and moved the filler neck to the top. The latter beings the most stupid design ever. Fuel does not flow up hill! It has been one of the best boats I have owned and have no desire for a glass boat again. It has seen plenty of rough water up to 4' and I really see no difference in ride quality between a average glass boat. I don't cringe anymore when I get too close to a rock, stump or dock. The compartments leak because of the lack of the top seams being water proof. To me it hasn't been a issue and just dry it out after a heavy rain. We have hauled a lot of stuff to the cabins in Canada and I am beyond impressed with the weight carrying ability. 1 load we were close to 2000lbs of gear and 3 guys with no issues. It was sitting low in the water but handled it fine. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaBass99 View Post
    Did you go new or used? I have read about the wet compartments as well. Apparently no way to really stop it, just maybe slow it down a bit.
    I bought a 2024
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

9. Member
    The boxes don't leak from the top much on the newer models due to they have a raised lip that the lid nest into that the older models did not have. They leak from the bottom up which gets the carpet wet in the rear of the boxes, nothing can be done to fix this unless you remove the carpet in the boxes and caulk the bottoms. I don't understand whey they don't seal the bottoms of the boxes prior to installing the carpet. As for the ride it's as good as any 19' and as dry too. I'm on my 4th one and have had no issues with cracks or leaks with the hull, now the aluminum trailers are not as durable as steel trailers and although I have not had any issue with mine, I know some that have. They are good boats for sure and as mentioned in the previous post, you just don't have to be as careful with them as you do a glass boat.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob4AU View Post
    The boxes don't leak from the top much on the newer models due to they have a raised lip that the lid nest into that the older models did not have. They leak from the bottom up which gets the carpet wet in the rear of the boxes, nothing can be done to fix this unless you remove the carpet in the boxes and caulk the bottoms. I don't understand whey they don't seal the bottoms of the boxes prior to installing the carpet. As for the ride it's as good as any 19' and as dry too. I'm on my 4th one and have had no issues with cracks or leaks with the hull, now the aluminum trailers are not as durable as steel trailers and although I have not had any issue with mine, I know some that have. They are good boats for sure and as mentioned in the previous post, you just don't have to be as careful with them as you do a glass boat.
    Good info, thank you. Not sure were your talking about caulking the bottoms for sure tho. I have already pulled the carpet out of the floor in center box and plan on doing the side boxes as well. I went with the heavy duty trailer and hope it holds up

11. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkyarcher View Post
    I was beyond impressed with your X19 even for its age and couldn't tell the difference in how it fished from a 19' glass rig. You didn't even care when I accidentally hung your boat up in that log jam while you were eating lunchI was used to the more instant trolling motor response my little Tracker had so couldn't correct in time. I wanted to buy and X19 with a 200 SHO Brooks had instead of my H18 but the price was more than I wanted to pay for a new boat and they're hard to find used when being picky.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

12. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallie_Hawgin View Post
    Ours is an older X19 (2001) and I can say the ride is certainly better than a straight flat bottom and many other glass rigs I have ridden in. As far as dry ride, I really think that depends on wind strength and wave height. All bass boats are relatively low to the water and are prone to having some spray. That said, the X19 seems to ride high and bow even higher when on plane and trimmed correctly. Skittering over 1-2 foot waves is no problem at all. Your side spray is behind the drivers seat for sure. So any spray tends to be behind you if it's not crazy windy. I've driven a fair number of boats of different styles and I can certainly say the ride and fish-ability of the X19 is impressive. Reliability issues are likely more related to the OB, in this case the vast majority come with Yami's. They "tend" to be very reliable if cared for properly IMO. Our rig is older, so really no issues I wouldn't expect from a geriatric boat/motor/trailer... LOL
    Exactly. All boats will wet you in a good cross wind.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

13. Member
    The X19 is a great hull design. My son had one of the older narrower X19s (2007 I think) and there are some videos of him on YouTube running on Wheeler Lake in North Alabama in a college tournament that shows the hull in some nasty chop.

I just went from the best glass boat ever produced (2022 Allison XB21) to a X21 Xpress (daughter started college, needed to free up some finances) and although this boat is not an Allison (nothing is), I have been beyond impressed by it during the 13 hours I’ve put on it so far. I live where 5 rivers dump into a large bay and I’ve had it on both bay and river in some decent chop and it’s been great.

The X19 and X21 are the same beam width with the 19 being 2’ shorter of course.

With me being an old speed guy, I sometimes wish I would have bought the 19 but I can say the 21 is no slouch for a 21’ boat in the mph arena.

As far as the boxes getting wet, yea … I’m still trying different things and mine is definitely better than it was but not perfect.
    Last edited by JOEALLY; 12-16-2023 at 01:02 PM.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

14. Member
    Subscribed Joe.

I still miss my Allisons and Bullets but my retirement income dictates a lower cost boat.

An Xpress 19' with flashed SHO would be sweet for what I do.

One of our club members has an Xpress 19' and I expect him to flash it at any time now.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    Subscribed Joe.

I still miss my Allisons and Bullets but my retirement income dictates a lower cost boat.

An Xpress 19' with flashed SHO would be sweet for what I do.

One of our club members has an Xpress 19' and I expect him to flash it at any time now.
    If I didn’t fish the bay also, I would’ve gotten the X19 but the extra length is nice in the rough bay.

16. Member
    2021 X19 here. Absolutely love it. My boxes do not leak as they have the raised lip. Boat has a 175 SHO and will hit 64 with me and a tournament load. Smooth over a chop and my 24v trolling motor pushes it easily.

17. Member
    How many batteries are you guys running? I really want to run a dedicated battery for the graphs and ffs but I can only fit three batteries in the bottom of the compartment. The little shelf on the port sides needs to stay open for power pole pumps and the shelf on the starboard side has that board for the breakers and isn’t big enough to get a battery. If you have 4 in your compartment can you drop a pic?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Koma View Post
    How many batteries are you guys running? I really want to run a dedicated battery for the graphs and ffs but I can only fit three batteries in the bottom of the compartment. The little shelf on the port sides needs to stay open for power pole pumps and the shelf on the starboard side has that board for the breakers and isn’t big enough to get a battery. If you have 4 in your compartment can you drop a pic?
    I am running two batteries total.

Monster Marine “Scorpion” 1300 CCA 120 AH for cranking and house:
    Helix 8 and 9 at console
    Helix 10 and Mega 360 at bow
    Garmin 1022 and LVS 34 at bow

Monster Marine 36V 50 AH trolling battery for the MK Quest.

I have fished all day with all four graphs running, mega 360 and livescope and have not had a single issue with power. I did pull 10-2 marine wire for the units.

I do have a charge on the run (Monster Marine Dynamic Charger) but I don’t think I’ve needed it yet.

You may be planning to run larger graphs than mine but the lithium batteries are far better than the previous AGMs and lead acids.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEALLY View Post
    I am running two batteries total.

Monster Marine “Scorpion” 1300 CCA 120 AH for cranking and house:
    Helix 8 and 9 at console
    Helix 10 and Mega 360 at bow
    Garmin 1022 and LVS 34 at bow

Monster Marine 36V 50 AH trolling battery for the MK Quest.

I have fished all day with all four graphs running, mega 360 and livescope and have not had a single issue with power. I did pull 10-2 marine wire for the units.

I do have a charge on the run (Monster Marine Dynamic Charger) but I don’t think I’ve needed it yet.

You may be planning to run larger graphs than mine but the lithium batteries are far better than the previous AGMs and lead acids.
    I’ll be running 2 Garmin 8616xsv with livescope and eventually run a helix 12 or 15 with mega 360. In my previous Vexus VX21 I ran all graphs/livescope/mega 360 on one RB100 HP Re-Lion, then I had another one for cranking and all other electronics on the boat wired to the cranker. I ran 3-RB75 for the trolling motor. I obviously don’t have that kinda room in the Xpress so I’m thinking I’m going to run a IOINC 125 for the electronics and another one for cranking and the rest of the electrical stuff and run 2 of the 50ah batteries for the trolling motor.
    I was hoping to have room back there in case I decided to add another 50 to make 36V or add another set of the 50’s in 24V if I needed them for more run time.
    I ran the 50ah’s in 24V in my old 17” Lowe and I would damn near kill them in a 8 hour day but it had the basic motor guide trolling motor. I put the power pole move on the Xpress so maybe it won’t be as hard on the batteries?

20. Member
    I guess anything is possible but I have fished some strong current for long hours and never came anywhere near killing my 50AH lithiums with a ghost or ultrex.

My last boat had a dedicated 100AH Ionic for electronics and a separate battery for cranking and it was way overkill and redundancy for my needs, that is why I did not add the dedicated house battery this time.

I have dual raptors and the pumps are mounted in the battery area as well so it does get tight in there fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast