Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Victorinox 6" and 8"-10" breaking

2. Member
    Instead of buying him a super expensive knife, getting him a nice whetstone and a good honing steel, and maybe sign him up for a class on knife sharpening. Having a nice knife is cool, makes all your buddies envious of the piece of metal in your hands, but knowing how to maintain it is worth more than the knife will ever be.

For example, when I moved out of my parent's house, my neighbor who was basically my second mom, got me a cheap $30 Sunbeam knife set from Walmart. 8 steak knifes, pearing knife, boning knife, carving knife and fork, bread knife, cleaver, and an 8" chef's knife. I have had that set for almost 20 years and I keep all the non serrated knives consistently sharp with proper maintenance. I would put my chef's knife up against any high dollar knife any day of the week. I can pull it thru a tomato with no downward pressure other than its own weight, and slice it 1/16" thick in one slice with no tearing or mashing of the tomato. About every 6 months I work it with the whetstone and about once a week I hit it with a Shun honing steel. None of my knives will ever touch a dishwasher, they never go in the sink to get mixed around, as soon as they are done cutting, they are cleaned, towel dried, and placed back in the block til the next use.

I even made myself a lil homemade cardboard sheath to store the knife in when I go somewhere and am expecting to cook. Its a crude way to travel, but it absolutely spanks any other knife I've ever come across.

I've looked at high dollar knives as a gift to myself at various times in my life, but then I whip out that Sunbeam Chef's knife and get to work slicing and dicing.

Quote Originally Posted by smalljawguy View Post
    +1. I have this one and the Dahlstrong bull nose butcher knive and an 8 inch chefs knife. All are sharp as razors with only a few swipes on the honing rod each time I use them
    THANKS! for the suggestions.
    This one looks like the ticket, and on sale for only $99.

My daughter tells me that the Benchmade in the pic isn't necessarily the dream knife. I think the Hakai Chef Cleaver will make a great gift. Plus, it's 99 bucks which fits nicely with my opinion that this pricey gift thing has gotten too out of control. I've tried to impose a $100 limit on this and get a gift from the heart that you believe the receiver will appreciate. I'm uncomfortable with it but my daughter started it because her husband never gets her anything so this sort of forces him to do it. S-I-L is the one who always requests the most expensive stuff. One year, my son drew his name and got stuck buying an over $300 smoker. I only asked for a Lodge cast iron dutch oven...$99. Sorry for the family drama rant.
    Last edited by SoonerFan; 12-14-2023 at 12:08 PM.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

4. Member

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProVle View Post
    Intermediate level brand (Zwilling is their top shelf) and Statement is kind of entry level. I just got a set of Premio which is fancy enough for me. The SIL referenced in the OP isn't talking about a kitchen set--he's gung-ho about grilling/smoking and wants a manly meat knife
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Intermediate level brand (Zwilling is their top shelf) and Statement is kind of entry level. I just got a set of Premio which is fancy enough for me. The SIL referenced in the OP isn't talking about a kitchen set--he's gung-ho about grilling/smoking and wants a manly meat knife
    Oh ok. Don’t know anyone who is “gung ho” into smoking and grilling. I need to try some of that
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

If you want to stay friends, get him what he asked for.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfish View Post
    If you want to stay friends, get him what he asked for.
    Yeah, that was my attitude at first but then my daughter told me that it wasn't that particular brand of knife that he wanted, it was that style of knife. That hatchet looking style of knife that seems to be all the rage these days. I add the utility knife that was of the same style. It looked pretty cool to me, I think he'll like it just fine.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

9. Member
    Another vote for Victorinox. We have bought several over the last few years and we still have some 35-40 year old ones that came from a then local commercial meat processing plant. They still have blade left and hold a nice edge.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

First off, I would get him what he wants.

2nd, I have been looking at these, they are great. But the one in the left is a better knife.

Here is the set I asked for. Great set, great price.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/j...et?ID=17150699
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Thanks but I've already made the selection and paid for it going to receive it in a few days. Case closed
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    Thanks but I've already made the selection and paid for it going to receive it in a few days. Case closed

What did you go with
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
    Victorinox 6" and 8"-10" breaking
    Yep

Well I'd agree with Victorinox
    But as someone who worked as a Weekend Butcher for over 30 years
    The best knife is the breaking knife, Butcher knife works but not as well. That and a boning knife are the only 2 you need

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cu...CEALw_wcB&th=1

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ManxFishing View Post
    Well I'd agree with Victorinox
    But as someone who worked as a Weekend Butcher for over 30 years
    The best knife is the breaking knife, Butcher knife works but not as well. That and a boning knife are the only 2 you need

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cu...CEALw_wcB&th=1
    Thank. I have the 6" boning and the 12" what we call a steak knife, and that's all you need for the shop. But he is talking about his kitchen....? I pull my 12" out in the kitchen just to show off...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    What did you go with
    [QUOTE]#16Today, 11:26 AM
    I see where he's coming from. He doesn't want a refined chef's knife. Like someone mentioned before, he's probably seen the Utube ads. But you can get a nice Viking knife for less than $280. How about these. https://seidoknives.com/products/hak...IaAj0KEALw_wcB[/QUOTE]

I got him the big hatchet looking butcher's knife and a matching chefs knife.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

If he’s going to smoke meat he needs a good boning knife. Trim briskets and pork butts, slice ribs, and other cuts. Good all around knife for the meat lover’s tool box. If you S-I-L has the sack to complain about getting a Zwilling Professional S boning knife you need to take him off your Christmas list. This is an absolute steal.
    https://www.amazon.com/ZWILLING-Prof...3&sr=8-10&th=1
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

18. Member
    Another vote for Zwilling professional knives for purchase or as gifts as an amateur smoker/cook.
    2005 Triton TR20X-Mercury Pro XS 4.6L V-8 250 HP Serial # 3B378953
    2016 Harris Cruiser 24-2016 Mercury150XL-Serial # 2B232319

19. Member
    I’m a big fan of Wusthof knives. Expensive but they’re great quality
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    Victorinox
    These knives are what’s used in a lot of butcher shops and grocery stores where they still cut meat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast