Calibration Failure

Tried calibrating the Garmin twice now and Failed both times. Is it better to use the Big motor or trolling motor.

2. Member
    Never mind . Looks like I need to use the Big Motor.

3. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Yeah try big motor....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

4. Member
    do it on the trailer in the truck in a big parking lot

Doesn't matter. Calibrating does not do anything anyway

6. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    All calibrating seems to do is give me the pointer icon on the plotter but you have to do it every time you deploy. I don't even bother any more

Quote Originally Posted by RangrSkipr View Post
    All calibrating seems to do is give me the pointer icon on the plotter but you have to do it every time you deploy. I don't even bother any more
    And you can mark a waypoint from the livescope screen, if you wanted to. I don't really use that either.
    2020 Tracker 190 TX | 115 ProXS | 4" Jackplate | Quicksilver Q4 21P Prop | Garmin Force w/MillerTech 36v-60Ah | Livescope |

YouTube - Fishing & Lithium Battery Content: https://www.youtube.com/@goodmanfishing/videos

8. Member
    Good info. I probably won’t mess with it.

9. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Also, if it calibrated, and you flip ducer to perspective mode, it will lose the calibration.....basically, you would need to calibrate it after every use of perspective mode if using it to mark waypoints as stated above.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

10. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goodman_fishing View Post
    And you can mark a waypoint from the livescope screen, if you wanted to. I don't really use that either.
    Now see. Thats how much attention I've given to it because I didn't know you could do this. Thats cool but I'm still not going to take the time I'll just mark the WP on the map plotter running beside it

Quote Originally Posted by RangrSkipr View Post
    If the pointer thingy actually pointed to where the beam is pointed, it would be great for the back seat angler on a networked setup. Is it for the map screen only? Or do you need a heading sensor?

So I found this video. After the guy calibrates, he sets the compass to N up. When he points his TM straight forward, the beam on the compass shows straight forward, and when he turns motor, the beam moves.

So my question is, does N up, mean North, or does N mean straight forward on the boat. The second would be usefull but mine does not seem to work that way.

13. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    North up being the bow would seem to work best. I've always just called out a target positioning to a coangler. 1 oclock, 4 oclock, 10 oclock etc plus my ducer is on a separate mount and they can see the pointer for quick reference if they want. The only question I would have is if you pick up and move do you have to recalibrate again at your next spot especially if you shutdown the unit? I think so. I like it though and will try it next opportunity

14. Member
    I was told by garmin that a heading sensor was needed for it to work with the live transducer. I'm not marking way points on the livescope unit so i put a heading sensor in to work with my minnkota & my interlinked birds & mark them with them & it works great.