Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Most Reliable / affordable used car

My son needs a reliable car (compact/midsize) that he can purchase in 5-7k range. I know that not a bunch of money but it is what it is. I'm just looking for feedback on vehicles that have higher mileage but are still somewhat reliable if they have been taken care of.

2. Member
    Find one with a few dents and low miles. Can’t beat a Honda if he’s ok driving one.

3. Member
    Toyota Corolla

4. Member
    Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, and Mazda 3.

Subaru
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Toyota Corolla

7. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Toyota. Any model.

8. Member
    Toyota Corolla in his price range, no bells and whistles but very reliable.

9. Member
    https://www.dashboard-light.com/reports/Compact.html

A list of reliable compact cars and their long term reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    My son needs a reliable car (compact/midsize) that he can purchase in 5-7k range. I know that not a bunch of money but it is what it is. I'm just looking for feedback on vehicles that have higher mileage but are still somewhat reliable if they have been taken care of.
    What happened to the 5,000 dollar truck that he was looking for?

11. Member
    Honda civic, Toyota Corolla, or Subaru (any) would be my choice.

i had a 2012 Honda civic that I traded in last year with 285,000 miles. Regular oil changes every 3-4000 miles regardless of using full synthetic, 2 sets of brakes, 3 sets of tires, new exhaust pipe, 3 headlight bulbs, recharged rhe AC once, and the AC compressor went at 230k. That’s all the work that I’ve ever done to the car. Single handedly the most reliable vehicle we have ever had in my family.

Second most reliable has been Subaru. Between me and my brother we’ve had 3 Subarus and only once has any of them been in the shop for anything other than routine maintenance with about 200k miles between them
    Last edited by ECobb91; 12-11-2023 at 03:15 PM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

I see a ton of Civics and Corollas on marketplace with 300k+ miles. I think that speaks for itself.

I would try to find a southern owned and operated (less rust) Civic or Corolla with sub 200k and roll with it.

Another problem I see looking at those vehicles are the cloth seats and the "God only knows what" kinds of stains on them. It reminds me of Dirty Mike and the Boys from the Will Ferrell movie "The Other Guys"

Any non-American made car
    Always Think Like A Fish.....No Matter How Weird it Is!!

It is a crap shoot no matter what car you buy. Used is used and you have no idea how it was treated. I do know if you can find a GM with the 3.8 liter V6, those motors will go for a long time. My MIL put over 400,000 on one in a Buick Rivera.

15. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Can’t be a honda!
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tfall View Post
    Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, and Mazda 3.
    -
    Rock solid advice here.

Close friend has been in auto finance for 20+ years and this is EXACTLY what he tells anyone who asks him the same question in your circumstances....................but then for some reason they ask nutty follow ups like if a 10 year old, 5 series BMW with 200k miles is a good option.

I guess a lot of people just want to hear their opinion coming out of someone elses mouth.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    What happened to the 5,000 dollar truck that he was looking for?
    I appreciate you asking. I was able to put a new starter and a few other parts into his 2002 f-150 to keep it running while we looked for a new used truck and just haven't found anything that would work. He has decided to bite the bullet and get a compact car for a year or two until his income can move him back to a truck. His career (coaching College baseball )does not pay well when you first start out. He is working two jobs in Nashville to pay the bills currently and can't really take on a traditional car payment.

I'd pass on any mazda, not necessarily known for quality. But than again any vehicle that made it long enough to only be worth 5k today, its was a good car.
    Last edited by BMCD; 12-11-2023 at 05:34 PM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

19. Member
    In that price range 2006-2011 Ford Focus. You can find a low miles model in that price range.

Check out the reliability reviews for those years. They're great compact cars.

20. Member
    my luck with toyota has been very good. I have an 09 Corolla in the drive that was my daily driver back in the day; my third child now uses it.

Much of it has to do with has it been properly treated
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast