Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Knives - Out The Front (OTF) and Auto Blades

OTF owners - I'll have around a $500 budget at the start of the new year and would like your thoughts. Microtech's seem to be dominating the market in that price range, they look good, but have crappy customer service from what I've seen. Purpose of owning.... more of a novelty item than anything. Yes, my state law allows for auto blades.

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Out-The...r:in_stock:Yes

2. Member
    Microtech's do have a high function quality. No complaints except that they're expensive as hell.
    I've carried a Cobratech for a year now and it's been great. I use it quite often as I'm frequently holding up a door or window or similar cumbersome item that needs bands and shrink wrap removed so I only have one hand to do it with.
    $165

3. Member
    Over the years from about 8 years old I have carried a pocket knife daily.

Some of the brands have been: Boker, Queen, Case, Buck, Gerber, Benchmade, Kershaw, CRKT and various other brands which do not come to mind immediately.

Lately Kershaw seems to offer the best bang for the buck for a knife with good steel at a reasonable price.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

I carry an HK branded one, was $275. So far its been a great knife. I like the feel of the microtec ones but just can't justify the price.

Tony Marfione's son has his own company, Heretic. Terrific customer service and they make some great knives.sex heretic.jpg

6. Member
    The Benchmade Osborne 9400 looks nice. I really like the reverse tanto blade design.

I noticed you're from Georgia. "Blade the biggest knife show in the world" occurs every June in Atlanta. You could see about every product in the world there.

8. Member
    Benchmade Infadel is a nice OTF.

9. Member
    I have the Infadel and a Microtech they are both solid knives.

11. Member
    Microtech makes several quality OTF auto knives but their customer service is not good and very arrogant. I have about a dozen of their knives in my collection. They are not cheap and with custom blades or bolsters can run quite expensive.

12. Member
    I have owned Microtech's but as of today Benchmade Osborne Auto or mini Infidel is what I carry.....both are worth the $$$. Be aware, factory service on auto, otf and/or double edged blades may be a challenge if you are not military, LEO or 1st responder. It wasn't a deal breaker for me but I would check with each manufacturer and local laws.
    5 Short of a limit

13. Member
    The stiletto style of knife always put a scare into me. Deploying in the pocket and guess what gets cut off?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fastr19 View Post
    Tony Marfione's son has his own company, Heretic. Terrific customer service and they make some great knives.sex heretic.jpg
    Just looked them up on BladeHQ. Good pricing and I like the style. Not into a dagger, but more user friendly drop point or the like.

Atlanta... might have to consider a day trip.

15. Member
    See what you think about the ones Cobra Tec out of Texas has. I have the dagger, which I see you are not interested in. But they have others. I never used their customer service, so have no clue how it would be.

Just saw it had been mentioned in another reply. I have had mine since around the beginning of 2021 I believe. I have not used it but maybe 7 or 8 times. They have a few lure pattern ones.
    Last edited by 250bassFL; 12-09-2023 at 04:46 PM.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 250bassFL View Post
    See what you think about the ones Cobra Tec out of Texas has.
    Thanks my man. Heading over there now to snoop around.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    The stiletto style of knife always put a scare into me. Deploying in the pocket and guess what gets cut off?
    Yep. Same with any of the button operated automatic knifes too. The only one I feel safe carrying is the ProTech Whisker BR1.
    John

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jejb View Post
    Yep. Same with any of the button operated automatic knifes too. The only one I feel safe carrying is the ProTech Whisker BR1.
    It takes quite a bit of effort to deploy a OTF Microtech, there is no way it's going to self deploy in your pocket.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    You all aren’t actually carrying these in your pocket are you?? Like this guy said, ain’t no damn way.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinPaPaw View Post
    You all aren’t actually carrying these in your pocket are you?? Like this guy said, ain’t no damn way.
    See post #18.
    I carry mine in my jeans pocket, vertically, blade down with the belt clip captured over the edge of my pocket.
    To parrot what pabasshawk said, the switch is very stiff. There is no way in hell it would auto deploy in your pocket. I've seen adult men with "office hands" have to use two thumbs to do it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast