Thread: Eley 22LR

Eley 22LR

I've been wanting to try some Eley for a while. I ordered $250 worth today. I don't have a premium match grade 22, but I do have 5 Ruger 10/22's, one of them is extremely accurate for a factory gun. Can't wait to shoot these bullets.

2. Member
    Tenex ???

I’ve shot a pile of all of it and all I can say is every rifle is a little different. You’ll have to shoot and see. Prolly have to run a few rounds of foulers before you can tell how your rifle likes what you’re feeding it.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

It’s a little frustrating trying to find the “best” .22LR ammo. My Tikka T1X shoots Wolf Match Target OK, but I am sure there is a better load out there. Trying a half dozen (or dozen) different target loads can get expensive. Then finding the correct lot of the one that shot best is another challenge. Would be awesome if my rimfires were like my 6.5 Creedmoor rifles. Three different rifle manufacturers and they all shot factory Hornady ammo into ridiculously small groups.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    Tenex ???
    I bought two boxes of tenex, tenex pistol, match, club, semi auto bench rest, semi auto precision. Might be another one or two I'm forgetting.

6. Member
    I also just found out that you can send a 22 receiver and barrel to Eley in Texas and they will test all their ammo in your gun, find the best one then find the best lot. And this service is free as long as you buy some ammo.

7. Member
    [QUOTE=crank68;13272479 You’ll have to shoot and see. Prolly have to run a few rounds of foulers before you can tell how your rifle likes what you’re feeding it.[/QUOTE]

Exactly

With rimfire I have seen where it can take close to 100 rounds for the rifle to normalize shooting a particular load. So if the ammunition is changed you may need to go through quite a few rounds before you start seeing true results. I notice the same thing if I ever clean the bore which I now rarely do. I think it has to do with the lubricant/plating used on the bullets and it takes time for the bore to become fouled with the normal amount of the fouling from the ammunition you are using.

8. Member
    I believe its the lubricant as well. I am not certain, but I believe and have been told by more than 1 person who should know, that manufacturers usually use the same lube and often the same bullet between different product lines. Example, lapua midas +, sk match and sk+ all use not only the same bullet, but the same lubricant. So if you are testing ammo lots or comparing one to the other it probably takes less setttling in, if any. So Id compare those consecutively, and not put another brand in between. I assume eley is similar.

Yep .22s can be frustrating to say the least. Unless you are going to get a full match grade rifle just stick with any brand that will MOA to just sub MOA. Chasing ammo is a rabbit whole you can never escape from if you get in to deep, lol.
    21 Lund 1775 Impact XS 21 Merc 115 Pro XS

10. Member
    I use Cci standard velocity almost exclusively. I've tried most of the common stuff that I can find locally and standard velocity has been the most accurate. I just wanted to try some of the best ammo and see what it does in my regular rifles.

11. Member
    Its worth it to try and relatively inexpensive, just dont make the mistake of thinking that every batch of a given ammo is going to be the same, especially in any of the non “match” variety that have a bit more variation between lots. If you find something your gun likes, buy a TON of it from the same lot.

12. Member
    I shoot the Eley High Velocity lead tip out of my Ruger Mark VI Classic for squirrel hunting, very accurate and deadly on them

13. Member
    I went and measured the last group I shot in my #1 10/22, I wanted to make sure before I posted on here. At 50 yards, my 10/22 shot a 5 round group measuring 1/2" from edge of hole to edge of hole, 3/8" from center of hole to center of hole. I'm not sure how it's supposed to be measured but that's pretty good for a 30 year old stock rifle with a target hammer. I should be able to try out my new eley ammo in a day or two.

Groups are generally measured center to center.

15. Member
    I switched over to Eley High velocity in my Ruger Mark IV Classic I use for squirrel hunting, accuracy improved greatly in my rifle.

16. Member
    Going to shoot the Eley's tomorrow. I have 9 different kinds, 100 rounds each along with 100 rounds of Cci pistol match and Cci "target" mini mags ( these are new to me, I've used mini mags all my life and never heard of target mini mags).

I like the CCI green tag to practice with ….. shoot purdy good for the money.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

18. Member
    Green tag is on my list to try.