Humminbird to Garmin

Anyone move from Humminbird Solix to the Garmin? I’m actually thinking about going to the Garmin TM too.

2. Member
    I just did. I kept one bird for 360 and because I have an Ultrex. At some point I will finish the job and be done with HB completely. I was a Lowrance guy for 15 years but got out of fishing tournaments and sold my boat. Didn’t fish much for a number of years. Bought a boat this year that was a HB package boat and I added a Garmin unit for livescope. Hadn’t ever had either Garmin or HB on my boat before. Fell in love with the Garmin and despite all my efforts I couldn’t get to a point with the HB’s where I was happy even though I had 3 of them and only 1 Garmin. I’ve learned more about my new Garmin units in a few days than what I learned about the HBs fishing all year.

3. BBC SPONSOR
    Which Garmin are you looking at? The GT56 is close to the MSI, even better with the 86 series. But, IMO the MSI on a Solix is hard to beat. Mapping on the Garmin gets the nod for me, especially the Lake Vu ultra card.
    Chad Phillips
    BassBoatElectronics.com
    Ultra Marine Service - Mercury Outboard sales and service
    1-800-931-9926
    1230 Topside Rd. Louisville, TN 37777
    Showroom & Office Hours M-F 8a-5p

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassBoatElectronics.com View Post
    Which Garmin are you looking at? The GT56 is close to the MSI, even better with the 86 series. But, IMO the MSI on a Solix is hard to beat. Mapping on the Garmin gets the nod for me, especially the Lake Vu ultra card.

I agree. I'm on the 8612's and I'm happier with the SI now than before with the HB's.

5. Member
    I went from all humminbird (the pro rig on my boat) to all garmin. Started slowly with a livescope setup, loved the graph and reliability, and eventually went to a 360 only setup at the bow with all garmins, and last winter got rid of the 360 setup and went to another garmin with perspective mode transducer. I don't miss anything about humminbird at all, the software and reliability was terrible for me, and the garmins have been almost without any issues.

I went to a force trolling motor as well, broke the shaft on my ultrex and bought the force because of availability of parts and sold the ultrex after the repair was complete. The ultrex was fine, but I like the force better.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

6. Member
    I have an 8616xsv for my livescope, I also have 3 16” Apex. I have an Ultrex, but the Garmin is a better trolling motor, is lighter, and performs better. I’m thinking of dumping the Ultrex, swapping out the 3-16” Apex for all 8616s.

How does SI compare to HB?

7. Member
    If you want SI comparable with HB, get the GT56.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXDonkeyHunter View Post
    I have an 8616xsv for my livescope, I also have 3 16” Apex. I have an Ultrex, but the Garmin is a better trolling motor, is lighter, and performs better. I’m thinking of dumping the Ultrex, swapping out the 3-16” Apex for all 8616s.

How does SI compare to HB?
    GT56 is slightly better than msi imo.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

I'm going to run both side by side so I should know soon.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

10. Member
    Had 3 solix 12's now have 2x 8412's and 1x 8416 gt56 and I for one will never go back to HB