Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    cwilt that 178 Ranger is hek of a boat, put on a 115 or 150, would be a hek of a seller today.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boatinpete View Post
    The Z185 was bigger then most boats 30 years ago while today it's called entry level lol and 150 ws the max. Now they want us to pay $65,000 for a starter boat, pure greed. Did you notice most used boats on this site are 20 plus footers.It is the baby boomers who have bought these rigs or old money. What Ranger has to do is make a 16 footer again like the r61 with a 90, they would not be able to make enough of them as that would be more affordable for the regular guy.Good luck finding a smaller bass boat today as folks will hold on to them forever. Today we have a false pretense that you can't catch a bass unless you have a 20 foot rocket with a 250, just my opinion fellows.
    I don’t feel that this is accurate at all. They had a Z175 for years and it went away. I myself have no use for a 20’ boat either. The 18-19’ rigs are perfect for me. If I found a deal on a Z185 I would buy it. That would be about perfect for my needs and a size upgrade from my 2002 Sabre. The other thing about the sub 18’ fiberglass category is that aluminum boats cannibalize those sales

3. Member
    With a full sense of the irony in my posting this, today’s boat buyers must pay WAY too much attention to what others think and post on the internet. As Tyler mentions above, the sub 18’ [and even sub 19’] bass boat market is significantly eaten into by aluminum boat sales, then when you get into bass boats that *could* be rated for 200 hp, buyers are practically made fun of [and sometimes precisely made fun of] for considering one with a 150. I owned 16’ and 17’ bass boats back in the day, and I can tell you several reasons why they are not very palatable to anyone who’s been in a larger hull. Even in you’re not concerned with speed, there’s stability [big guys walking around in the boat make it tippy], there’s comfort and security when weather surprises us on the way back to the launch, and there’s serious lack of storage. Yes, all of those things can be ignored or, to an extent, overcome. But they add up. And let’s not forget the Henry Ford principle, which still applies to both manufacturing and marketing: despite there being a niche market for smaller rigs, what sells the least is the least profitable. Manufacturers get pounded as “they want to sell the big rigs to make the big money,” but businesses operate on net percentages. You can make the profit needed by selling lots of low-cost items, but selling very few of a low-cost item is not the way to stay afloat as a boat manufacturer. Ask your favorite bass boat dealer how many fiberglass rigs with 150 hp and under they think they could sell if available. I doubt most would even take a stab at such a rig. Those dealers are the market for the manufacturers, and neither is stupid.

4. Member

Smile

I bought a left over 2021 Z185 in 02/2022 with the 150 Pro XS and love the boat. I went from a 1987 ProCraft 1780V with a XR2 Black Max 150. I have more storage, more leg room and a lot cheaper on gas, better fishing platform, I have reach 53.0 mph. I'm very happy with my purchased, more in line with what I could afford. I never wanted a 20 footer with an 250. Best thing my wife wanted me to get a newer boat and with better storage then my old one I've had for 13 years. My wife retired on my birthday in 01/2022 and gave me the down payment from her retirement, so I purchased it on her birthday. I've had her for almost 33 years, I had to do what the wife wanted.
    1987 Procraft 1780V, 150 Mercury XR2 Blackmax and now a 2021 Ranger Z185, 150 Pro XS.

DAV / U.S. Army 88-91.

5. Member
    I have an 18 Z185 as it is the biggest glass boat that stores in a 20'10" garage..... Plus fishing is a hobby and it was only 36K... I would like to get a new one with a 4 stroke, but ....

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snmccabe View Post
    Plus fishing is a hobby and it was only 36K
    ^^^^^ This

I get big boats with larger horsepower for pros, guides and serious club fisherman that make long runs and/or fish in rough seas. But for hobby fisherman (like me and I would wager most people that buy a bass style boat) who chase 15" bass on local lakes that make shorter runs and go home when the waves get big, an 18' boat with a 150hp 4S outboard is optimal. Heck even a 115hp 4S if the hull is lighter. Hate to see Ranger's affordable glass option in this segment go away.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

7. Member
    I can say I have been very happy with my "underpowered boat". I guess I would like a better definition of what "underpowered" is? If it is pure top end, then yes I will agree that a 150hp is not a "fast boat". I have run 60 with mine many times in good conditions with just me in the boat, since adding an Ultrex and a single talon it is usually 58-59 in those same conditions. I would gladly compare my hole shot fully loaded with fuel, livewell and partner to any 250hp boat and yes I know they will eventually pass me. Buy a boat that makes you happy. I know this is off subject but wanted to share for anyone that considers one.
    2017 Ranger 518 w/ Evinrude 150HO G2

8. Member
    Since this post came up I have been looking at other boats that store in less than 20'10" and they all stink. The best is the basscat Sabre with a 175, but narrow and only 18'1". Any others I am missing?

9. Member
    Since this post came up I have been looking at other boats that store in less than 20'10" and they all stink. The best is the basscat Sabre with a 175, but narrow and only 18'1". Any others I am missing?
    Tracker 195, Xpress X18, Skeeter ZX150, Caymas CX18.

10. Member
    My garage is like 21'6 x 10'5 and my 818 fits in on angle. That is with a 10 inch hydrolic plate and a fat 175 4s. The Phoenix 518 has only a 6 inch setback and a smaller 115hp 4s. I would think that would save you at least 6 inches and maybe 7 or 8. The 518 is much wider then the Sabre and with that motor would be like 50mph. Very stable when TM down. Not as wide as the Ranger or Phoenix 818
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

11. Member
    Caymas CX18 is LENGTH ON TRAILER 21’ 6” That would have been a good one. The Skeeter is 22' 2".

12. Member
    Yeah that 818 would be nice with a 175, but its a bit long for my storage.

13. Member
    you might glean some good info in this thread I had from the Fall of 2022 when I bought my z518:
    https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread...1193999&page=2

I was majorly space-constrained as well and still need to park a car inside my garage. I have a 2.5 car garage though and put the boat at a slight angle to park it. I also punched out some drywall where the motor sits and that gave me enough extra space that allows me to easily park it in my garage.

the key is to skip the jackplate. I have zero regrets about not having one.
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

14. Member
    I purchased a Z185 in April of 21 and it came in the first of July. Upgraded from a Tracker 175 TF. It is the perfect boat for me and my wife. I am north of 250 lbs and it is plenty stable. Stores way more tackle than I NEED. Rides good and plenty fast. If I would have bought anything bigger it would not have fit in my garage and I would have probably needed a bigger tow vehicle. So I love it and it does all I need. It's a much better boat than I am fisherman. Hate they are discontinuing this model. I never see myself in anything bigger. Just no need for m.
    2021 Ranger Z185
    Mercury Pro XS 150
    Ultrex 80
    Helix 7 & 9
    Garmin Livescope
    Garmin GPSMap 1022
    Power Pole Blades

15. Member
    Absolutely the same situation for me. I started out in 2022 wishing for a Triton TRX-18 with a 200 then a Skeeter ZX-200. I found a Ranger Z-185 in the right color package. It was the exact boat that I could pay for in two years. No regrets and it is very stable even with the wife and two kids. Topped out at 55mph with the wife and 13 year old son on a lake with few places for speed. Fits in the larger garage that is 30’ x 22’ leaving the third garage for the wife.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12