Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lake Okeechobee Report

Just returned from 4 days on Okeechobee.

It was shocking to find the lake barren of any submerged aquatic vegetation. There is nothing anywhere. No eel grass, no hydrilla, no coontail.

There are emergent buggy whips in open water areas, then nothing growing at all until you hit the hard reed line. Most bottom areas seem to be covered in gelatinous goo, and best water color found was a dingy clear.

FWC Biologist confirmed there is no SAV to be found. While out looking around on the lake, the sound of spray boats was present (that pulsing throttle sound), and then saw 4 spray boats from Applied Aquatics leaving Harney Pond (last Thursday afternoon).

It was all rather hard to comprehend.

2. Member
    Unfortunately the Big O is all but done. The amount of revenue it would take to draw down and scrape 750 square miles of its toxic sludge off the bottom so aquatic life can possibly rebound will never happen. There is no profit in that. Chemical destruction is big time moneymaker. Shameless greed has and continues to ruin all of our aquatic resources. My question is Why?We are all connected to water for survival and it is being poisoned right in front of us with no regard to all life? This is not isolated to just Okeechobee, all of our waterways in Fl. are under the same chemical attack. Will go down as the worst water management known to man. Unknown centuries to form life and grow natural habitat all to be destroyed in just a handful of years. SMH

3. Member
    I think a lot of people will have to die or become sick from the contaminated water before anything will be done and then it will be too late. I don’t understand why some of these tree huggers and environmentalists haven’t gotten onboard to fight this spraying. No $ in fighting it.

4. Member
    Stop your bitching and let your vote do the talking. If you want more of the same keeping voting the same corrupt politicians back in office. I know no one cares to hear it, the Republicans are not going to do a damned thing about it. There is no money or power in it for them.

5. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    Stop your bitching and let your vote do the talking. If you want more of the same keeping voting the same corrupt politicians back in office. I know no one cares to hear it, the Republicans are not going to do a damned thing about it. There is no money or power in it for them.
    LoL. Let your kids get indoctrinated, give up your rights to protect yourself, pay more taxes, embrace violent crime and pray the Democrats give any more of a rats ass then Republicans about fishing in vegetation. We'll get right on that!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickstix View Post
    LoL. Let your kids get indoctrinated, give up your rights to protect yourself, pay more taxes, embrace violent crime and pray the Democrats give any more of a rats ass then Republicans about fishing in vegetation. We'll get right on that!
    I can see that FOX New's propaganda has really done a number on your brain. You can pick between your politics or your lakes. You will not have both under the current regime. You haven't offered a solution.
    Last edited by Whiteboat; 12-05-2023 at 07:30 PM.

7. Member
    I can see that FOX New's propaganda has really done a number on your brain. You can pick between your politics or your lakes. You will not have both under the current regime. You haven't offered a solution.
    Voting a different party ain’t gonna change jack s..t! Until these idiots get their mind right the outcome is the same. They all promise
    but rarely if ever deliver on the promises. Once the popularity contest is over and the pockets are lined the cycle is done. Me personally don’t follow the propaganda. I can see it with my own 2 eye’s every day. Pick R or D the song remains the same.

8. Member
    It is a easy solution. Take away the money. The money can be used for something worthwhile.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM64 View Post
    Just returned from 4 days on Okeechobee.

It was shocking to find the lake barren of any submerged aquatic vegetation. There is nothing anywhere. No eel grass, no hydrilla, no coontail.

There are emergent buggy whips in open water areas, then nothing growing at all until you hit the hard reed line. Most bottom areas seem to be covered in gelatinous goo, and best water color found was a dingy clear.

FWC Biologist confirmed there is no SAV to be found. While out looking around on the lake, the sound of spray boats was present (that pulsing throttle sound), and then saw 4 spray boats from Applied Aquatics leaving Harney Pond (last Thursday afternoon).

It was all rather hard to comprehend.
    First off what the heck is SAV?
    I went around the lake last week looking for indoor storage for a couple of months. (none available).
    I started in Clewiston and saw there were about 4 boats at ramp. (during the week.)
    Then at Okeechobee (Kissimmee ramp), about 25 boats. I was also told here there is not much grass left.
    But someone must be catching something as the fish must be somewhere.
    Or am I wrong and should I be looking at a different Florida lake in January/February?

10. Member
    Boats at the ramp could be speck fishermen. I’ve only been to Okeechobee a couple of times but except for the lake it doesn’t look like there’s much going on. The lake dies and the local economy will suffer.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblerman65 View Post
    Boats at the ramp could be speck fishermen. I’ve only been to Okeechobee a couple of times but except for the lake it doesn’t look like there’s much going on. The lake dies and the local economy will suffer.
    yes, I'm the perfect example. I'm now looking for another lake if that is possible in Florida.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aj14 View Post
    First off what the heck is SAV?
    I went around the lake last week looking for indoor storage for a couple of months. (none available).
    I started in Clewiston and saw there were about 4 boats at ramp. (during the week.)
    Then at Okeechobee (Kissimmee ramp), about 25 boats. I was also told here there is not much grass left.
    But someone must be catching something as the fish must be somewhere.
    Or am I wrong and should I be looking at a different Florida lake in January/February?

SAV = Submerged Aquatic Vegetation (hydrilla, eelgrass, coontail).

There are fish, but you will need to adjust and work to get bit.

I would avoid Florida and look at Georgia, the Carolinas, or Alabama.

Scott Martin has started Anglers for Lake O: Home | Anglers for Lake O - Among other issues, the website indicates the lake needs 100,000 acres of SAV and its currently 2,000 acres (or less).

13. Member
    I spent 4 days on the Big O 2 weeks ago for our club classic. I have fished Okeechobee for almost 50 years and have watched the steady decline, especially the last 10 years. In 4 days I found NO submegered vegation- not even peppergrass! The area west of the Clewiston channel to Ritta Island had NO vegation all the way to the bare bank. Almost of the the fish caught both days were all caught in one cut- very dim future for this lake I'm afraid....
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

14. Member
    I wonder what the local government and business owners have to say about the decline of the lake? And what about any input from JM on the future of the Bass Pro Shop in that area and the Okie Tania project?

15. Member
    Well, not so glad I just closed on a house here two weeks ago.
    Sad state of affairs for what was everyone's dream to fish the once great lakes here in Florida.
    Are the other well known lakes the same?
    And why would they decimate every piece of SAV in the lake?

16. Member
    Spray boats are on the Kissimmee chain 5 days a week rain or shine wind or calm.

17. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    On the slim to none chance I'd ever vote a fishing lake over my livelihood, is there a politician (D or R) who's platform mentions restoring lakes and stopping poison spray? I always say it's a perfect way to hit DeSantis, but as far as I know, nobody even mentions it. If they did, he may be forced into actually doing something about it. There's plenty of NBC's, CBS's and ABC's throughout the state to bring it to light, but they don't seem to give a crap either.

18. Member
    This is not a left versus right issue. Neither care. This is a right and wrong issue, this is an obsession with chemicals to treat everything. This is all the people that love to have more government and love buying houses in HOA's and if they don't live in an HOA they love to keep their lawns perfectly green and free of any weeds anyways. They want their homes to look like golf course and in turn want to turn our lakes into the same. Our lakes cannot be barren they are predominantly shallow natural bodies of water that thrive full of vegetation. Invasives will NEVER be eliminated, we have to learn to live with them and manage them responsibly. I could go on and one on these issues. The truth is we the residents of Florida must stand up to big government and stop the destruction of all of our lakes. Until we can become a unified body nothing will ever happen and our lakes will become so toxic with chemicals that no one will be on them anyways.

I went to the lake last weekend. Launched out of slims. Must have been a tournament going on 25+ trailers in the lot. Went north out of boy scout cut about 3/4 mile and turned left approximately where the hayfields were at. There was a boat on every isolated sawgrass patch. Water was muddy like chocolate milk. Turned around and went to pelican bay area. Chocolate milk there also. Then went to Rita Island area and again dirty water. Ended up fishing where I started in boy scout cut and caught 2 fish. The lake is in bad shape.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

So who do we vote for? Same shit under both parties
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast