Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Garmin guys...how would build a new boat?

What would you put on your boat if you were building one from new? I am looking for exact models and system flow. I am thinking a kraken for a tm since it will be used in salt water as well. Looking at 3 or 4 graphs all 12". Can't decide if I want two 12" or one 16" at the console. Will have two 12" graphs at the bow. So what all would you need/get? transducers, tm, graphs, livescope.... Have always had humminbird so new to garmin. What would you need for being able to tell depth and possibly bait at speed, mega Side imaging, mega DI, livescope and good gps. Any help? I need to order this stuff in the next few weeks. Would like solix/apex level with touch screen. Any thoughts? Thanks

2. Member
    Put this in Garmin section below.
    Rad Brewer

3. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    If money is not an object then on the Garmins, i'd get the 8612xsv for bow and dash.....on the troller i'd have the LVS34 and GT56. On transom of boat for speed/idle, it would be the GT8/GT36 combo. GT8 is the 2d (in hull shoot thru) and GT36 is the same as the GT56 but no 2d......install N2K network with the 24XD GPS antenna with heading sensor. IMO it might be best to get the GMS10 network hub also. All units and Livescope will be connected to hub. You might can save some money with getting only 2 8612xsv (full sonar/mapping unit for bow and console) and 2 8612 (mapping only units for bow and console). With them ethernet networked, you can share sonar, LS, waypoints and maps.

The 86XX units are top of the line units. They now have the 9XXX units but those are for large offshore boats.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    If money is not an object then on the Garmins, i'd get the 8612xsv for bow and dash.....on the troller i'd have the LVS34 and GT56. On transom of boat for speed/idle, it would be the GT8/GT36 combo. GT8 is the 2d (in hull shoot thru) and GT36 is the same as the GT56 but no 2d......install N2K network with the 24XD GPS antenna with heading sensor. IMO it might be best to get the GMS10 network hub also. All units and Livescope will be connected to hub. You might can save some money with getting only 2 8612xsv (full sonar/mapping unit for bow and console) and 2 8612 (mapping only units for bow and console). With them ethernet networked, you can share sonar, LS, waypoints and maps.

The 86XX units are top of the line units. They now have the 9XXX units but those are for large offshore boats.
    Listen to this!! I have almost this same set up except for 1-8616 at the console and bow . Oh and you won't miss the birds at all
    2018 Legend V20
    Mercury 300R

5. Member

Thank you! Is there any indication that they will be discontinuing this or any major changes/new graphs for 2024? I've heard they are coming out with major changes for the echo graphs. thanks

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old hurst View Post
    Listen to this!! I have almost this same set up except for 1-8616 at the console and bow . Oh and you won't miss the birds at all
    I'm already regretting asking this question lol...these things are expensive!! So you run one at the bow and one at the console? How do you like the 16? Do you wish you had two 12"? At my helm, on a center console, I have room for two 12"...so that's why I was thinking two...but could def do one 16". just didn't know if I would have room to run map and still be able to see side scan well. thanks!

7. Member
    https://nbtmarine.com/

Id be tempted to go with the garmin black box, an Nbt 16 at the console and an Nbt 22 at the bow.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by clemsondds View Post
    Thank you! Is there any indication that they will be discontinuing this or any major changes/new graphs for 2024? I've heard they are coming out with major changes for the echo graphs. thanks
    I do not know what and when the come out with things.....the 9XXX series are brand new but again those are BIG money and for the large offshore boats. They do have new Ultra 2 units that just came out....looks to be a few weeks or so before they are released to buy.....looks like there are a few features added and they also redone the UI....... another options that is a little cheaper than the 8612's, is the 1243xsv. I'd go with that over the Ultra's.......

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post

Id be tempted to go with the garmin black box, an Nbt 16 at the console and an Nbt 22 at the bow.
    Do you still need a garmin unit to work with those or just the black box? Those do look nice!

Mcjenson,

The Black Box units cost as much, if not more, than a unit that has the HDMI port and is replicating the signal on the NBT screen. The boxes would allow some functions, that almost no one will use bass fishing.

We would get the unit desired and be sure it has a port to cover the NBT and have a two’fer… so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post

11. Member
    I think I'm going to stick with Garmin units. Can anyone share their thoughts on two 12" units vs one large 16" unit at the console? Just trying to figure out if that would be enough space for maps, di, si, and 2d. Also, what gauge wire are you running?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clemsondds View Post
    I think I'm going to stick with Garmin units. Can anyone share their thoughts on two 12" units vs one large 16" unit at the console? Just trying to figure out if that would be enough space for maps, di, si, and 2d. Also, what gauge wire are you running?
    I run Lowrance but run a 16 at the console. It has plenty of enough room for all of that. I run maps top left, 2D top middle, and downscan top right, and then side scan on the bottom. Don’t feel like I’m missing anything.
    2021 Triton 20 TRX Patriot w/ 250 ProXS
    16” HDS Live at console
    12” & 9” HDS Live at Bow
    Ghost, Active Target, Atlas Hydraulic, and 8’ Blades

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Mcjenson,

The Black Box units cost as much, if not more, than a unit that has the HDMI port and is replicating the signal on the NBT screen. The boxes would allow some functions, that almost no one will use bass fishing.

We would get the unit desired and be sure it has a port to cover the NBT and have a two’fer… so to speak.
    https://nbtmarine.com/products/untitled-aug31_11-35

6800 for a black box along with a 22" screen, and then add a 16" for another 3K and you are under ten grand. I spoke with Mitch at NBT and he said that the black box can support two units. Just a garmin 16" is over 6 grand. Garmin 12's are 3600 and you can only support one NBT screen with the regular GPSMAP graphs.

Not saying it's far cheaper or anything, especially if you aren't wanting giant screens and 12s are fine. Honestly if I was starting from scratch I'd probably just go with the echomap line as they are far cheaper, but for the "ultimate" setup its an option worth considering.

14. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Which "black box" is being referred to.?

15. Member
    Which "black box" is being referred to.?
    Garmin 8700. More or less its all the features of a graph without the display, and you buy the displays separately. Pretty common in the saltwater world, but not yet in freshwater.

16. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Ok....with that looks like you need to buy an additional box(s) for sonar (2d and scanning).. ....

17. Member
    Can anyone share their thoughts on two 12" units vs one large 16" unit at the console? Just trying to figure out if that would be enough space for maps, di, si, and 2d. Also, what gauge wire are you running?

18. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I prefer two 12's, a 16 is just "too in my face" for me.

For wiring, install a grounded fuse block with 6 ga tinned marine to the battery and 10 ga tinned marine between the units and fuse block. Run extra wires to the fuse block for future expansion.

And you'll probably want to start thinking about a lithium for your electronics.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

19. Member

This is where I am currently heading. Why do you recommend the GMS10 however? Just to have everything centrally located vs daisy chained? Or is there another benefit?

20. Member
    Ok....with that looks like you need to buy an additional box(s) for sonar (2d and scanning).. ....
    Good call, totally forgot about that. Looks like another thousand for that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast