Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Life Jackets / PFDs - What are you running? My auto keeps deploying!

I have some basic Onyx auto/manual life jackets in my boat, while they are easy to wear, they have deployed in my storage compartment three times this year! $20/pop to rearm them is annoying and adding up. I prefer not to swap it to a manual, that won't help much if someone gets knocked out.

• is there a more robust version that will not deploy at the first sign of dampness?
    • which traditional PFDs that you are using?
    2020 Tracker 190 TX | 115 ProXS | 4" Jackplate | Quicksilver Q4 21P Prop | Garmin Force w/MillerTech 36v-60Ah | Livescope |

YouTube - Fishing & Lithium Battery Content: https://www.youtube.com/@goodmanfishing/videos

2. Member
    Maybe the auto deploy is not for you and your boat. Get the personalized manual model like I have and wear all the time. It says "Jerk" on the handle. After all, if it deploys in the rod locker, it ain't no good to you.

3. Member
    You probably getting moisture in the compartment you're keeping them in. I keep mine in a zip up plastic bag. My wife gets a quilting storage bag for me. Stopped mine from going off. Moisture sets them off.

4. Member
    Buy once, cry once.

Buy like you would a parachute.

Mustang 3183 series

No inflation due to dampness.

https://mustangsurvival.com/products...-pfd-md3183-02

https://pro.mustangsurvival.com/prod...atic-md3183-22

Good Luck

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Buy once, cry once.

Buy like you would a parachute.

Mustang 3183 series

No inflation due to dampness.

https://mustangsurvival.com/products...-pfd-md3183-02

https://pro.mustangsurvival.com/prod...atic-md3183-22

Good Luck

6. Member
    Mustang HIT

7. Member
    Mustang 3183 series

I have a couple in my boat with no accidental deployments in three years.
    MoBob

2020 Z520c Ranger 250 Pro-XS Mercury
    2023 Ford Raptor
    O'Fallon, MO

I use a Cabbala's Guideware that I believe was made by Onyx. I liked it because it was made more for a big guy with a 33 gram cartridge that floated a heavier person....which I used to be. Never had a problem with this one popping but I do park the boat in the garage. My old aluminum boat that I kept outside with a cheap cover the old pair of Sospenders would pop every time it rained
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

9. Member
    I use the Cabelas brand one. I have two of them. I like the size and the comfort of them. Never had an issue with it going off. I keep a couple of plastic trash bags in the boat. I wrap the life jacket up in that when I store it. Never had a problem with the Cabela, and my compartments can get damp down here in Florida. I did have another brand a few years back and a different boat too... that brand did deploy in a compartment once. No problem with Cabelas though.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I have an auto inflation vest but still wear my regular old school vest 99% of the time....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

11. Member
    The Mustang HIT (Hydrostatic Inflation Technology) vest mentioned above does not activate with moisture. It is triggered by water pressure, so it will not go off in a compartment if getting wet. It is more expensive than the MIT (Moisture Inflation Technology) that you have now.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

12. Member
    After several guys I know went overboard and self inflated jackets didn’t inflate. Regular life jackets for my boat.

13. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I have a couple of older SoSpenders that work like there supposed too , I keep them out of the boat in my cellar when not fishing because my boat stays outside 24/7 under a cover , couple times in real bad humidity I had one go off so learned my lesson no problem since I take them out
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    After several guys I know went overboard and self inflated jackets didn’t inflate. Regular life jackets for my boat.
    Just curious what you mean by several, 4, 6, 10, 20? Are these people you actually know or stories you've read? I'm not questioning your truthfulness, but how can one person know that many people that are so incredibly unlucky, or just plain clumsy? If I knew several people that fell out of boats and all of them were unlucky enough to have their live vest fail, I might question my place in the universe.

15. Member
    I wear a Mustang now, but have had co2 cartridge come loose on Sospenders in the past. Most people don't think to check this at least occasionally.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Do you wear your regular life jacket from the time you get in your boat until the you get out? If you don't its no better than an inflatable

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smalljawer View Post
    Do you wear your regular life jacket from the time you get in your boat until the you get out? If you don't its no better than an inflatable
    I think this is the heart of the choice. When my cabelas unit discharged in my florida home over summer, I went back to the regular jackets when running but i don't wear anything when fishing
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

18. Member
    I quit storing mine in my locker. I put it in my truck instead of storing it in the boat. I didn't know about the "HIT" thing when I bought mine.

I have two, Mustang and a "West Marine". The W.M. as the dissolvable disk. I keep it in the truck when not wearing it. Worked well when I took a polar plunge. I now wear the Mustang as it is not subjectable to moisture. I put it on when prepping to launch and does not come off until boat is getting ready to be tied down, being on my boat or a guest on other boats.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

20. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I have gone over twice over the last several years both times my SOSpenders deployed as they should, I also check the co2 cartridge regularly to make sure it is tight and that the green is showing on the bobber and it is armed correctly .I wear mine from the minute I hit the deck till I hit dry land after fishing all year long
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast