Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

What is speed limit

It is the maximum? The recommendation? The minimum? I stay 5-10 over if possible. But lately its been impossible as many people drive well under the speed limit. I have some words for whoever taught drivers ed in Indianapolis 40-50 years ago. Im not sure if people are religious about not exceeding the limit, or if they simply have nothing to live for and love coasting minimal speed to their destination. Driving 10-15 mph under the limit is dangerous and causes unbelievable traffic.

2. Member
    "Limit" is the key word. That being said most of us are guilty of breaking that law.

3. Member
    Around here on 2 lane roads they do that as well. 45 in a 55. Then, come to a passing zone...1/4 mile straight, they speed up and cause me to go well over the speed limit to get around them....because I know, as soon as we get to the next curve or hill they will be back to 45.

Just got back from Central Florida, everyone is 10 under or 10 over, hard to drive pulling a boat with people switching lanes, slamming on brakes in front of you. I had a great time but there was no flow to traffic.
    Mike Wright '07 Ranger 520vx
    Henrico Va./Henrico NC.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaston Mike View Post
    Just got back from Central Florida, everyone is 10 under or 10 over, hard to drive pulling a boat with people switching lanes, slamming on brakes in front of you. I had a great time but there was no flow to traffic.
    That is my next gripe. I guess the phrase "slower traffic to the right" must not make sense? Its the law in many states but yet people coast in the left lane with 100 cars behind them. Even when you fly around them and give em the 1 finger salute, its like they have no idea what they did wrong.

6. Member
    I drove from NY to CO in 2020 to pick up a boat. What I observed was, the farther west I got, the closer people stayed to the speed limit. With that said, speed limits on open roads were MUCH higher out west, but still, when it was 75 or 80, that is pretty close to what people did. Here, even though its 65 at the highest, not a day goes by I don't see cars or motorcycles going 90+. Once I got closer to bigger cities, Indy, KC, St Louis, Cleveland, the asshat driver syndrome did seem to go up exponentially.

7. Member
    Those slow drivers may have that snapshot insurance thing that monitors their driving to save money.

8. Member
    As I've gotten older, I've slowed down and have become more patient on the roadways. I used to drive 8-10 over but now I'm 4-5 over and I can say that my commutes are more enjoyable and give me time to think and transition from home to work visaversa(prepare mentally for work and unwind after work). It's almost like life is going by fast enough without me going fast to help it if that makes sense. I also notice that everyone else appears to have sped up and 3/5 people will be on their phones while driving which has made me become a very observant even though I already was and a defensive driver. Another thing is that it seems more women are driving faster than ever before. They are driving these big luxurious SUV and think they can handle any situation when in reality they can't.
    Chad St. Pierre
    Paulina LA 70763

9. Member
    Everyone around here seems to be well over the speed limit. I go 5 over and hang in the right lane and never have to pass anyone. And watch all the other lunatics bob and weave 15 mph over. Way less stressful.

I am not sure this could really be a serious question.

No problem with driving slow, just be polite and do not block traffic. A 2 lane with a shoulder, means you can move over to let traffic by.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

12. Member
    If the sign is speed limit 70 thats where my cruise is set.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimy Hoosier View Post
    That is my next gripe. I guess the phrase "slower traffic to the right" must not make sense? Its the law in many states but yet people coast in the left lane with 100 cars behind them. Even when you fly around them and give em the 1 finger salute, its like they have no idea what they did wrong.
    ....so you're that guy?
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

14. Member
    Evansville, Indiana and Eddyville, Kentucky
    Speed limit is 70, I normally set cruise at 73-74.

Maybe pass a few, but not many.😂

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flabasspond View Post
    ....so you're that guy?
    After being stuck behind the same car in the left lane fluctuating between 45-55 on a major interstate where the posted speed is 70, yes I am. No shame at all. Use your cruise control, stay in the right lane unless passing, and go the speed limit.

So can I assume you're the guy happily going 55 in the left lane with 100 cars behind you, and you have the audacity to be mad at me for riding your tail?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flabasspond View Post
    ....so you're that guy?

its like they have no idea what they did wrong.

.......so you're the other guy?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimy Hoosier View Post
    After being stuck behind the same car in the left lane fluctuating between 45-55 on a major interstate where the posted speed is 70, yes I am. No shame at all. Use your cruise control, stay in the right lane unless passing, and go the speed limit.

So can I assume you're the guy happily going 55 in the left lane with 100 cars behind you, and you have the audacity to be mad at me for riding your tail?
    You weren't stuck behind someone going 45-55 in the left lane. You have now lost all credibility with your penchant to exaggerate to further your point.

Now go ahead and double down

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    You weren't stuck behind someone going 45-55 in the left lane. You have now lost all credibility with your penchant to exaggerate to further your point.

Now go ahead and double down
    You ever driven on I65? You are "stuck" behind someone from Chicago to Indy, impossible to set cruise to anything. There's 2 lanes each way but semis, grandmas, RVs, fast, slow, 3 wheels... everyone stays in the left lane. Its so backwards that its easier and quicker to pass on the right.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    Everyone around here seems to be well over the speed limit. I go 5 over and hang in the right lane and never have to pass anyone. And watch all the other lunatics bob and weave 15 mph over. Way less stressful.
    I try to stay in the right lane and do the speed limit, if only one lane I will do 5 kph over the posted limit.

we have turnpikes with 80 mph limit and it's nothing to get passed by someone running 100+

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast