Best Indiana Smallmouth Lakes?

Want To Go After A State Record Smallmouth?

After a lot of research into Indiana's best smallmouth lakes that could potentially produce the next state record I finally settled on five, and they are:
    Patoka
    Freeman
    Brookville
    Clear Lake (Steuben CO.)
    Lake Michigan
    These were the five lakes with the most public awareness, however, I'm sure there are others that simply don't get all the public chatter. And these aren't in any specific order, just the five lakes with the most references in terms of their reputations for producing the state's biggest smallmouth bass. There were several “good” smallmouth lakes that were frequently referenced but the above five were far and away the best prospects for routinely producing smallmouth of 20” or greater.

Know of any more possibilities? If so don't be shy. It's going to be a long winter....lol

2. Member
    From where you live, I’d consider just making the trip to Lake Erie or St Clair. I don’t think you’re going to break the current indiana state record in any Indiana lake anytime soon. I’m not sure if Lake Michigan would count, but that’s probably the best bet among those you’ve mentioned.

My two favorite aren’t there, which is fine.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    From where you live, I’d consider just making the trip to Lake Erie or St Clair. I don’t think you’re going to break the current indiana state record in any Indiana lake anytime soon. I’m not sure if Lake Michigan would count, but that’s probably the best bet among those you’ve mentioned.
    Been there done that a few times. But was just exploring Indiana's possibilities and smallmouth lakes, to which there are many. I'm not anticipating breaking any state records but I am one of those who thinks that fish is out there somewhere. Just exploring where it might eventually turn up.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswin View Post
    My two favorite aren’t there, which is fine.
    A lot of good smallmouth lakes in Indiana but some just don't seem to produce any big fish, but rather numbers and smaller fish. Maxi would be one such lake, always had numbers but lacks quality fish.

Friend of mine brought in a 20 lb. sack of smallmouth from Clear Lake this year in a tournament. First time I've ever heard of that happening on a inland lake in Indiana. Having said that, it's going to take some freak fish to break the record. Lake Michigan probably has the best bet. You will also find Smallmouth on Lake James, Pigeon Lake, Wawasee, and St. Joseph River. If you want to see Clear Lake, I did a video couple years ago with some drone aerial footage that will give you a good look at the lake. Just scroll through the videos on the link in my signature.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbass201 View Post
    Friend of mine brought in a 20 lb. sack of smallmouth from Clear Lake this year in a tournament. First time I've ever heard of that happening on a inland lake in Indiana. Having said that, it's going to take some freak fish to break the record. Lake Michigan probably has the best bet. You will also find Smallmouth on Lake James, Pigeon Lake, Wawasee, and St. Joseph River. If you want to see Clear Lake, I did a video couple years ago with some drone aerial footage that will give you a good look at the lake. Just scroll through the videos on the link in my signature.
    Never fished Pigeon Lake. But just look at the current state record, not exactly a lake one would expect. So I guess the next one could come from some small lake or even a pit somewhere. It is weird that some of the better smallmouth lakes in terms of numbers don't produce big fish (20"+) given that they've been good for smallmouth for so long.

8. Member
    For what it's worth, Beacon's GIS for Steuben County shows a great look as well. I attached the link below.

https://beacon.schneidercorp.com/App...D=1&PageID=959

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbass201 View Post
    Which Pigeon Lake? And is there any public access/boat launch?

Quote Originally Posted by Last Smallmouth Hunter View Post
    Which Pigeon Lake? And is there any public access/boat launch?
    It's been quite a few years since I've fished it, but it's the one near Shipshewana. Ramp sucks and parking maybe for two vehicles along the road. Ramp is dirt and gravel. It may have changed since I last fished it. Pigeon River runs in and out of it. Certainly, times of year they can congregate in it. The rest of the year it's not so good. Twin lake smallmouth was a fluke and doubt we'll see any size to one coming out of there again. The other Pigeon Lake near Angola doesn't have smallmouth that I know of. I've never caught one out of there before.

11. Member
    I been to patoka once and that is it for me