Lightbulb RT178 upgrade opinions

Next question, I have the Terrova and Lowrance hook reveal 7 at the bow. Looking to upgrade to Hummingbird 10" which imaging would you recommend?

I have had my 178 for about 2 years, when I got it, I wasn't sure how often it would be used. I am on the lake about twice a week and even in bad weather. The only real issue I have is rod storage and a little cramped when my buddy is with me, so I have been thinking of upgrading to a bigger boat. Is the additional 2 feet really worth the cost??

2. Member
    Put a couple of straps where the ice chest area is and run your rods up to the rod box. tuck the tips under the gunnel..

3. Member
    Same here. I installed a tie down behind the driver's seat & keep most of the rods there out of the way. Run the tips between the gunnel and the console.
    2023 Ranger 178C
    75 HP Mercury
    80lb. Ultrex

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JBurn View Post
    Next question, I have the Terrova and Lowrance hook reveal 7 at the bow. Looking to upgrade to Hummingbird 10" which imaging would you recommend?

I have had my 178 for about 2 years, when I got it, I wasn't sure how often it would be used. I am on the lake about twice a week and even in bad weather. The only real issue I have is rod storage and a little cramped when my buddy is with me, so I have been thinking of upgrading to a bigger boat. Is the additional 2 feet really worth the cost??
    The dreaded 2'itus disease. I've had about every size bass boat made and always come back to an 18'. Worth it? I don't think so but I am not the one paying for the boat. You have to decide if you really catch more fish with more gear in the boat or not? Until then enjoy what ya got.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I would encourage you to sit in a RT188 and RT198p and see how they fit you, first in the cockpit then in the storage and space on the front deck. If you consider used boats note that the RT188 design changed a bit beginning in 2021, being a tad narrower. I bought a lightly used 2018 RT188 last year to replace a totaled 2014 RT188 and I continue to be impressed with how well this boat fishes.

6. Member
    I believe the front decks are the same on the RT178 and RT188. The difference is the overall length, engine size and price point. The RT178 is a little tight with a coangler if the person up front is throwing overhand with a longer rod. Both boats fish extremely well with the TM down.....solid and impressive.

7. Member
    I did not pull a tape on them when I was looking. The Rt198 was not on the lot yet when I bought in 2016. I have sat in one a couple times since. IMO the cockpit room on the 188 is the best laid out. I am 6' and 275 pounds and have PLENTY of room behind the wheel without tilt steering! There are not many 18'ers with as much room in this area. The 198 had a weird set up IMO. They cut into the feet area with a hot foot mounting plate. That may or may not still be in them?

The 178 was a nice rig and the boat I sat out to buy. My wife did not think there was enough room to move around and she demands a dual console so we bought the 188.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I did not pull a tape on them when I was looking. The Rt198 was not on the lot yet when I bought in 2016. I have sat in one a couple times since. IMO the cockpit room on the 188 is the best laid out. I am 6' and 275 pounds and have PLENTY of room behind the wheel without tilt steering! There are not many 18'ers with as much room in this area. The 198 had a weird set up IMO. They cut into the feet area with a hot foot mounting plate. That may or may not still be in them?

The 178 was a nice rig and the boat I sat out to buy. My wife did not think there was enough room to move around and she demands a dual console so we bought the 188.
    I also thought the 198 felt cramped in the cockpit. My wife also likes the extra console on the 188 and this year I added a Bimini top to one of the boats.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

9. #FRB
    I've come to learn that how a boat is proportioned is a lot more important than the total size of it. If you're happy with the boat you have now most of the time only you can decide on whether or not paying up for a bigger boat is worth it to you. Also check out Lowe if you haven't already. They have a line of bass boats that look freakishly wide up front.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.