Repowered with 4 Stroke and added 12" Atlas hydraulic Jack Plate

Picked her up from Bass Pro Shop last Wednesday, I'll post how she handles as soon as I can get on the water.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Irving-NorCal
    2000 Cobra Viper 201 DC
    2024 Mercury 250L Pro XS SN# 3B431534
    Fury 3 Blade 24P

2. Member
    That's what I want to do with my 98 Cobra 201d. Mine has a Venom 200 and it just isn't enough power, plus it's a gas hog. I'm leaning towards the Yamaha SHO or even a Suzuki SS. I really like the idea of the electronic shift and throttle, but it also adds cost to the repower.

I've got the same Venom on my 98 Coral and would love to repower, but I don't know if I will ever be in a situation where it's makes fiscal sense for me. You can buy a lot of gas for what one of those new Mercs cost. My brother put a 250 Suzuki 4-stroke on his Coral that he got a deal on and it's a sweet setup.

4. Member
    The standard Suzuki's seem to be a lot cheaper than any other 250 outboard, but I'm sure the electric controls add some cost.

Took her out today to a very large lake, water was like glass and very few boats. Awesome motor. Running a new Fury 3 blade 24P prop that Bass Pro Shop suggested. They talked with Mercury and used their prop finder tool. Hole shoot was instant. I added Mercury Engine View to my order and it looks real nice. What I didn't get with my Atlas 12" Hydraulic Jack plate was a gauge. Funny I figured it would come with one. I did get the jack plate and trim controls on the steering wheel. Ran great. Just ran around lake at different speeds. I did hit 73 at 3/4 throttle while I was adjusting trim and jack plate to see what max speed would be with adjustments. Caught me by surprise. Rode that for maybe 30 seconds. She started to chime a little. Lowered trim and it went away. Very quiet. Very responsive at any speed. I did stay with original shifter and throttle, no problems there and cheaper. Over all I'm very pleased with motor. Fishing small tournament this weekend on a small lake so I'm looking forward to letting club see it. I did reload my boat with all my gear, tackle and 20 rods. In the future I'll probably separate my delta tackle from my lakes tackle. Which should provide more lift. I do carry way to much tackle and plastics. I ordered and received new carpet, another project. Going to buff her out before I do the carpet. After I get the 10 hours in I'll repost progress.
    Irving-NorCal
    2000 Cobra Viper 201 DC
    Fury 3 Blade 24P

6. Member
    Irving
    That looks really good and I am sure your performance and fuel mileage is going to be a big improvement. You will notice some chine walk in the over 70 mph, especially with the 12" JP which I would suggest getting a gauge to get back to your optimal P2P, running a 3 blade with alot less if running a 4 blade.
    I run a 26" Tempest Plus on my 2003 225 EFI off a 10" Slidemaster, and I do notice a slight chine walk in that 70-75 mph, which as you noticed can be easily corrected with trim. I do not notice it at all when I run the 25" Trophy Plus, but the speed is not the same running in the 65-70 instead.
    Looking forward to your post after fully break in.

Irving-NorCal
    2000 Cobra Viper 201 DC
    Fury 3 Blade 24P

Been out a few times the past few weeks. I can't tell you how good it feels. It's amazing. Unfortunately, every time I've been out it's been like glass. Been hoping for a little chop. Jury still out on the 12" Atlas Hydraulic Jack Plate, hope it was worth the money. Almost feels like it's setting to far back. Might just need to get used to it. A year without a motor was tuff. But this new engine more than makes up for it.
    Irving-NorCal
    2000 Cobra Viper 201 DC
    Fury 3 Blade 24P

9. Member
    Irving,
    Perhaps being a 250hp the 12" may end up working for you, but when I bought mine, I was told not to go any more than 10" since the stock would have been 8"
    As I said before, I would get a gauge for the JP to find your best P2P, and I would suggest you start at 3.5" and go up from there 1/4" at the time. Mine works best at 2 7/8" for both my props.

10. Irving-NorCal Irving-NorCal's Avatar
    Thank you for the information. Still working with Jack plate. My original was an 8" and I did read that about the 10". After more time on the water I'll have a better feel for it. Fished a Club tournament this past weekend and with live wells full (water & 3 fish...), and two very big guys my hole shot was about 4-5 seconds. RPM's 5700 at 70. What I didn't time was the seconds to 70 mph. I'll get better at this data recording. But it was pretty quick. So far I'm really pleased with prop. Fury 3 Blade 24P. The motor is awesome. Still varying the RPM's while running. Have just over 6 hrs so far.
    Irving-NorCal
    2000 Cobra Viper 201 DC
    Fury 3 Blade 24P

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Irving-NorCal View Post
    Thank you for the information. Still working with Jack plate. My original was an 8" and I did read that about the 10". After more time on the water I'll have a better feel for it. Fished a Club tournament this past weekend and with live wells full (water & 3 fish...), and two very big guys my hole shot was about 4-5 seconds. RPM's 5700 at 70. What I didn't time was the seconds to 70 mph. I'll get better at this data recording. But it was pretty quick. So far I'm really pleased with prop. Fury 3 Blade 24P. The motor is awesome. Still varying the RPM's while running. Have just over 6 hrs so far.
    Irving
    Sound about what I am running with mine holeshot and WOT 5700-5800 at 70+ with one big guy. The more seat time you get with it, I am sure you will make some improvements.

12. Member
    Looks great. You will really like the hydraulic plate as it makes life easier.

13. Irving-NorCal Irving-NorCal's Avatar
    Loving the new engine. I'm running 65.4 MPH at 5420 RPM with two big guys, half a tank and way to much tackle and throttle to spare. So far I'm still thinking the 12" jack plate might have been over kill. I had on board Engine View installed with new engine. This I like. Trim displayed put not jack plate. Need a separate gauge for that. You'd figure after spending all that money on a hydraulic jack plate it would come with a gauge. Did the 10hr service myself. Pretty simple, lot of YouTube videos to check out first. I have started removing carpet to re-carpet and found some floor fiber glass separated at gas tank/seat cap. I'll start a new thread for that issue.
    IMG_5745.jpg
    Irving-NorCal
    2000 Cobra Viper 201 DC
    Fury 3 Blade 24P