Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Anyone considered going salt water?

I have somewhat recently found myself entering another chapter in my life.
    I sold my business back in 2019 and went to work for the company that bought me out .I had to work out my contract and NDA for 2 years. Those 2 years I had the Z-7 out once.
    After my 2 years was up I was picked up by the large company we did the largest amount of commercial kitchen installs for. My new office is now in south florida (West Palm )
    I have been surf fishing alot and really miss having the boat . The possibilities down here are endless with all of the palces to fish.
    I still have my wife & home back in Atlanta but when I return I never have the time to fish.
    My thought is to sell the Z7 and get a bay boat and leave it in florida.
    I live about 45 minutes from the Big "O" but its so polluted it isnt as desirable anymore.
    Has anyone ever converted to Saltwater completely?
    I have a better chance of selling the Z7 in Georgia because there are very few places to fish freshwater down here.
    I thought once about fishing the intercoastal with the Z7 it would sure be cheaper..
    Anyone have any thoughts?

I would like to have both fresh and salt nearby.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

3. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    I'm afraid that if I were any closer to the marsh, I'd be completely worthless (instead of just mostly so).

South Louisiana is one of my favorite places on earth.
    Who controls John Gill?

Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    I'm afraid that if I were any closer to the marsh, I'd be completely worthless (instead of just mostly so).

South Louisiana is one of my favorite places on earth.
    A cornucopia

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

If I had a salty pond close by, the entire freshwater world would be just a memory in my life.

6. Member
    If you’re looking at just a bay boat get something like an express bay boat and then just bass fish and saltwater fish when you want. I fish both but mostly bass fish just with my triton. It is fun to go street reds and trout when I want.
    2009 Triton 18x3 Pro

West Palm Beach offers great fishing inshore and offshore. Find a used bay boat, 20-22' with a Yamaha in your price range and do it all.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv/LVS34
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

8. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    If I had a salty pond close by, the entire freshwater world would be just a memory in my life.
    Same for me. Honestly wouldn’t care if I caught another largemouth ever again.

9. Member
    I could easily see moving somewhere down south and mostly doing saltwater fishing after retirement, especially on the flats. The ocean fishing around me just really doesn't do it for me, deep jigging for halibut or trolling for salmon just really isn't my thing.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

10. Member
    I'll just pay a guide if I want to go fish saltwater.

11. Member
    I'd be rid of my fresh water boat in a second if I lived full time in Florida. Go price a few salt water rigs before you sell because they can be even more pricey than bass rigs.

Mapquest says you are 1.5 hours from one of the hottest fresh water lakes in the country right now. If you want to use the Z7 check out Headwaters Lake in Fellsmere.

12. Member
    If had to choose between salt water fishing and bass fishing it wouldn't even be a second thought of which way to go.....

13. Member
    What I really like about saltwater is there's a lot of good bank fishing opportunities. Great for when I don't want to tow the boat.

14. Member
    I tried long time ago. Found I got seasick. Stuck to freshwater. Sucks as I live less than 2 hours from coast.

I live a mile from the beach, and when I want to fish its 2 mikes to the bass pond, I go to the bass pond! Most evenings I am the only bassboat out!

16. Member
    Dragging the bass boat to FL this winter......that being said also bought another saltwater pole and reel rig. Best of both worlds down there.

17. Member
    That's why I bought a Vexus 1980cc. The front deck is laid out like a bass boat, but the boat handles the rigors of salt water as well. Living outside of Raleigh NC affords me the ability to bass fish several lakes and I can be in saltwater within 2 hours for speckled trout, flounder and reds.

18. Member
    I got the vexus 2180cc just so I could do both as well. I haul it down about once a year to fish the salt

19. Member
    I live in Minnesota, so no. But if I lived on the coast, I most certainly would.

However, I have been spending a lot more of my fishing time chasing salmon on Lake Superior and Lake Michigan. So much so, that the next boat will be geared towards big lake trolling.

20. Member
    Luckily, we have access to both in South La.

I can't say I could ever go 100% saltwater, because I love to bass fish.....however summertime, sight fishing for redfish will always hold a special place in my heart. There's nothing like it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast