Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    This sport was bigger in the late 90s than it is now. The payouts were life changing back then. Now it’s like a bank taking loans with interest. Only a few can make the payments. It’s not a fisherman’s game anymore. Maybe it never was. I love the idea but it’s not feasible in the long run.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    Can you not understand that building an arena for an established professional hockey team doesn't begin to compare to funding an unproven start up business?

Do you not understand the unethical nature of using those funds to purchase real estate from the owner/CEO of the start-up? While the politicians certainly share blame, it smells of fraud on the surface.
    Doesn't have anything to do with proven or unproven businesses. If that were the case, most commercial capitol loans would be denied. It comes down to the development plan issued to the respective governing jurisdiction. It also depends on The governing jurisdictions council vote. The issued plan would have to show economic growth.

If there is a law in place in Alabama that prevents said CEO from starting a business and purchasing said land " from himself" sort of speak, then yes a " conflict of interest " could be grounds for a fraudulent case. But I have not been able to find anything in the US currently, in the laws that prevent a land owner selling said land to him/herself for a business start up.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wicker*man View Post
    There is no real money to support 2 tours. They should have known that leaving BASS. If BASS was so bad how did duckett talk anyone into leaving thinking there was more money somewhere else? It’s all ridiculous. “Bass fishing”isn’t a money making adventure for most.
    Im only guessing, but I'm not sure if funding 2 tours is truly the issue. I think you are 100% correct in your assessment that fishing was bigger in the 90's and early 2000's. Current viewership data would show ( 2023 ) a -20% for MLF and -21% for Bass. I think the average angler has been priced out of the sport altogether. Again, I don't know each leagues payable and receivables. But since the fans are the consumer base, and disposable incomes are dramatically reduced, inflated prices to compound the problem, I think may who would like to take part of fishing can't afford too. When that happens, im guessing people turn their heads from even watching? But IDK...just guessing

Quote Originally Posted by Venandii77 View Post
    Doesn't have anything to do with proven or unproven businesses. If that were the case, most commercial capitol loans would be denied. It comes down to the development plan issued to the respective governing jurisdiction. It also depends on The governing jurisdictions council vote. The issued plan would have to show economic growth.

If there is a law in place in Alabama that prevents said CEO from starting a business and purchasing said land " from himself" sort of speak, then yes a " conflict of interest " could be grounds for a fraudulent case. But I have not been able to find anything in the US currently, in the laws that prevent a land owner selling said land to him/herself for a business start up.
    The subject in contention was not loans, nor was it a land owner selling land to himself.

The subject was public funding, and the use thereof.

You seem to be having trouble following the subject and are failing to acknowledge the difference between private and public funding. Is this intentional?
    Last edited by 188Musky; 10-22-2023 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Does anybody think if 50 guys walkout of BPT, there won’t be 50 more lining up to fish. I don’t give the APC a snowballs chance in hell.
    If the current stars leave BPT, like they left BASS the BPT would be over.

They don’t have the history to rebuild like BASS did.

If I was BASS, I would expand to the Top 150 and invite those that make sense to return.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Start painting the signs and schedule time off work to help man the picket lines

Then send your cash check or money order to support to support the Pros that don’t make the cut.
    Last edited by Hoot; 10-22-2023 at 09:04 PM.

7. Member
    I simply don’t understand sponsor reinvestment in this failing entity.

From my personal perspective, I became a pre-MLF Bryan Thrift fan. I observed his rising success and viewed his performance which led me to purchase numerous sponsored products including a full line of Fitzgerald Rods, Damiki baits, etc. For me, his market value continues to diminish and evaporate as his exposure, to me, has. Yes, I receive the automated (Bryan Thrift) bot e-mails from Fitzgerald, etc., but these engagement attempts are falling on the deaf ears.

I wish Bryan all the success…

8. Member
    Most of those who will be cut in 2025 never are in contention for a win. In NASCAR, they are referred to as "field fillers".

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy671 View Post
    Most of those who will be cut in 2025 never are in contention for a win. In NASCAR, they are referred to as "field fillers".
    What were they referred to as when Boyd was selling them his dog and pony show?
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim285pro View Post
    Is there anybody out there who actually likes Boyd Duckett? I remember when he started duckett rods and he said in an interview he had the chance to make his rods in the USA but he choose china instead because their factory was so high tech and nice. Tells you everything you need to know about the guy. He’s no different than the other organizations where they simply do not care about the anglers. They got 50 more delusional pros waiting to take their place.
    There were BBC discussions on this back when Mr Duckett was starting his company confirming that the high tech equipment and advanced carbon fiber manufacturing capabilities in China were not available in the USA.

There were many posts from BBCers familiar with the industry who commented and agreed with the statement that Mr Duckett released on why he chose to have them made in the facility in China.

11. Member
    The only reason MLF wanted some of these anglers in the first place was to try and decimate BASS. They knew the likes of Russ Lane and Marty Robinson didn't help their cause to grow MLF....but it did help their cause to hurt BASS. Those poor anglers were used as pawns and are now being tossed away.

12. Member
    Here's the problem with Pro fishing there is no where left to fish! If you leave MLF where are you going to go?? We have a monster recession on the way, so say good bye to sponsor dollars and if they end up in lower tier circuits say goodbye to substantial payouts! You have 2 options, stick around and fish MLF/BPT or go bleed money at the opens!!

13. Member
    the biggest problem all the major tours have now is getting money from sponsors the companies that had open wallets before because of a great boom in the fishing boat industries are now laying off their workers because of lack of orders an the boats on dealers lots are not selling. it will get a lot worse for them before it gets better because they cant do like the govt borrow more money than they can pay back.

14. Member
    Maybe they should start their own league, Anglers for Anglers.

15. Banned
    I think we'll see a "great resignation". They won't have to cut anybody. There'll be 25 guys that retire and anothther 10 will just leave to the opens/npfl.

In my opinion, they should have left the original MLF cups/selects in tact for TV. This could have stayed invite only. If a guy drops out, invite the classic champ, college champ, npfl aoy or whoever they deem fit.

Leave bpt as the top level tour. There'd be no qualifyingbeyond this. They could live stream this for the hard core fans. Tv is for the marginal fan/soccer mom.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wicker*man View Post
    This sport was bigger in the late 90s than it is now. The payouts were life changing back then. Now it’s like a bank taking loans with interest. Only a few can make the payments. It’s not a fisherman’s game anymore. Maybe it never was. I love the idea but it’s not feasible in the long run.

I'll give you 3 reasons why the Gravy Train died for bass fishing:

1. Big Tobacco dollars

2. U.S. Military dollars

3. Sam Walmart dollars. Walmart bucks subsidized 99% of non-endemics.
    Proverbs 28:1

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    What were they referred to as when Boyd was selling them his dog and pony show?
    Pawns

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    Maybe these clowns should go back and re-watch all their own YouTube vids regarding their decision to leave BASS so they could run with the wolves.
    Best I can tell, most of the loudmouth anglers who made the anti BASS videos when they left have long ago deleted the evidence.

19. Banned
    This is gonna be better than an 80s soap opera

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Best I can tell, most of the loudmouth anglers who made the anti BASS videos when they left have long ago deleted the evidence.
    I was wondering if they were still out there.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast