Anyone use this hook keeper location?

hook.jpg

I have my hook keeper further up on my rod. My Lew's Hypermag reels have this flip out location. It's right where I reach to handle the rod/reel. Anyone use this location?

I never use the hook keeper on my Lew's reels. I always thought that those were inconveniently located. I put a hook keeper just above the reel seat on all of my rods.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Lost in Desert.......Help
    Better than some of those on the handle butt, ouch.

Like Jeff, I like mine just in front of the reel.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BRNut View Post
    Better than some of those on the handle butt, ouch.

Like Jeff, I like mine just in front of the reel.
    ive got a couple of shimano rods that have it in that location. terrible spot for it

In front of the reel seat for me too.

6. Member
    I thought it was a great idea when they came out, but I like the one on the rod better (keeps corrosive plastics off the reel). It turns out, the $389 Lews I got with this feature was junk so I wouldn’t get any more (other than the BB1 Pro’s). The line reminder on the spool cap remains a great idea though (surprised no one else copied it).

Yep

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    ive got a couple of shimano rods that have it in that location. terrible spot for it
    I second this opinion, terrible spot for a hook keeper. St. Croix has started to use this location on some of their rods and they need to STOP!

9. Member
    yes on the 1-2 reels that have them
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

10. Member
    In front of the reel always.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    The line reminder on the spool cap remains a great idea though (surprised no one else copied it).
    210170411.jpeg

12. Member
    Can’t stand a hook keeper below the reel seat. Whenever I grab a rod out of the box, I’m grabbing the rear ended of it, right where the hook would be. Why those became popular is beside me. I’m not a fan of hooking the top of the casting reel, just scuffs up the reel bad.

When I build a rod I’m using either a single foot fly guide or a drop shot style keeper above the foregrip..
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    In front of the reel always.
    this is where I like it as well, if the rod does not have one, I'll use the foot of the last guide.

I'm trying it, the new G-nius from Japan that was talked about here recently. My take, they work OK, fine for quick hooking of the bait when putting a rod down on the desk, but if it's going in the rod locker I prefer to use the hook keeper on the rod still. It seems to tangle/grab less that way.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/sear...us+hook+keeper