Heat sink compound?

97 Mariner 150 0G508602
    Is it really necessary to use this much heat sink compound?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hooken203; 10-03-2023 at 08:03 PM.

2. Member
    good lord i sure dont
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    That’s what I thought Joe. From what I know the stuff isn’t cheap so why would you slather it on like bbq sauce.
    Thanks Joe.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Was probably old and thick (pretty common for the OEM stuff). Softens up once it gets hot and then runs and flows easily.

Agree... that's a TON.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Looked excessive to me. I didn’t put nearly that much on it going back together. Thank you for the info Don.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    That’s what I thought Joe. From what I know the stuff isn’t cheap so why would you slather it on like bbq sauce.
    Thanks Joe.
    yea man
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................