Salt free trailers

Hello BBC peeps,

I have some custom swimjigs built with Owner deep throat style high carbon content hooks...these things are ridiculously sharp and hook and hold better than just about anything else I have ever used. This said, every season I strip off the plastics and have to clean off the rust on the hooks. I have gotten to the point where I just take the trailer off if I'm not going to be using it much for the next few weeks. Still, I would rather find a good alternative for plastic trailers sans the salt.

What recommendations do you have for salt free trailers for swimjigs and chatters? Looking for something compact like 3.5" - 4" range.

Thanks in advance.

USA

I remove the trailers at the end of the day and "swish" them in the lake to rinse off any salt or fish residue. Then hang them in a rack I made with 1.5" x 1.5" Aluminum. Seems to work pretty good and I have very little rust.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Zman or have some custom poured.
    0G886873 Mercury Serial Number
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera III with 200 Merc

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by webertime View Post
    Zman or have some custom poured.
    Yeppers ZMan is what I have found...just gotta "keep separated" from other plastics.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    I remove the trailers at the end of the day and "swish" them in the lake to rinse off any salt or fish residue. Then hang them in a rack I made with 1.5" x 1.5" Aluminum. Seems to work pretty good and I have very little rust.
    Thanks for sharing, yes I do that on my grated metal garage storage racks after every fishing trip as well...although I leave the plastics on until I plan to not fish them anymore for that "bite pattern session"...I hate to remove every time because I super glue rhe trailers on.

Z-man is a good option, and their durability is off the charts...the plastic often outlasts the jig I'm using it on as crazy as that sounds. Their Goat and Hella Craw are great swim jig trailers, and I throw the Razor Shad almost exclusively as my Chatterbait trailer. Some of their plastics, including the ones I suggested, actually do have some salt in them, but it's not to the level of other companies. You can also stretch them to work the salt out, and it otherwise comes out on its own as you fish the bait.

They just came out with another Chatterbait trailer that's basically a knockoff of the Hog Farmer Spunk Shad, they call it the Chatterspike. I love the Spunk Shad but get frustrated with having to replace them, so I'm excited to try this one. I picked up a pack, just haven't tried it yet.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Member
    Awww yeah that's gonna be schuuuweeet on the Chatterspike!