Thread: Lake turn over

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lake turn over

Our local lake has been turning over for the last week and a half. Usually only lasts about 2 weeks but the fishing gets absolutely terrible during the process. I’m talking bass and crappie. Does this happen across the country and what do you guys do to get them to bite during turn over.

Dale Sinclair original

2. Member
    Yea the lake I fish turns black and the fishing Sucks.

3. Member
    It happens here, its a sign to go to the other end of the lake. They dont turnover all at the same time. Somewhere you should be able to find better water to fish.

4. Member
    around here different areas of the lake turn over at different times. some can be more drawn out weather depending. usually by mid December it is through.

if you find you are in an area that is turning over - move to a different area. that said ive caught some bigger fish during turnover

Sounds early. Water temp needs to get down to upper 50s to 60 before the flip occurs. Up here we're still seeing upper 60s.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

7. Member
    It's always seems that way to me in the Spring and Fall????

What makes you think the lake is turning over?

I find it unlikely that lakes in IL are turning over when lakes in WI are not. Water temps on the surface normally have to be in the low 50s.

9. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    Sounds early. Water temp needs to get down to upper 50s to 60 before the flip occurs. Up here we're still seeing upper 60s.
    I believe turn over happens when the bottom layer is warmer than the top layer. This can happen about anytime.

Dale Sinclair original

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    A good time to go sit in a tree stand until the water situation settles down! At Smith Mountain Lake (20,000 acres) we have six temperature probes at three feet from the surface at various locations that provide constant water temperature data on a app and one probe mid-lake at 20 feet. Right now as I type this the water at 20 feet is warmer than the 3' temp at four of the six surface locations so turnover should be happening any day although the range is only 3 degrees (69-72 F) so it might hold off as we have warmer temps predicted for this weekend. I can tell you that right now the fish are everywhere and nowhere, all scattered about but the key remains - find the bait.

11. Member
    I can't imagine any lake in Illinois is close to turnover. Maybe you are seeing an algae bloom?

12. Member
    Our water here last weekend was ~ 70 degrees. Turnover is a ways off here.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaBassMan View Post
    I can't imagine any lake in Illinois is close to turnover. Maybe you are seeing an algae bloom?
    I’m with you on this, it does seem early given the generally warm weather in IL the past month with more on the way.

14. Member
    Water still in 70s here. Buzzbait time

15. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaBassMan View Post
    No, it’s definitely turn over. At least it looks and acts the same as the last 50 plus years I’ve fished this lake. Happens here about the same time every year, give or take a couple weeks.

Dale Sinclair original

16. Member
    If the lake has a river, then I'll be concentrating on those areas.

17. Member
    Our lake is southern Ohio are starting to turn as well. Morning water temps are in the high 60’s. The problem we are having is no sun and rain. The last time we had this combo there was a big fish kill. We need the sun and wind to keep the oxygen level up enough for fish to make it to the end of the turn over. Luckily we have the river and some small lakes to fish till it’s done and fishing the bigger lakes gets better
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by local16 View Post
    No, it’s definitely turn over. At least it looks and acts the same as the last 50 plus years I’ve fished this lake. Happens here about the same time every year, give or take a couple weeks.
    Again, I disagree that its turnover. The water is simply not cool enough in the upper layers

19. Member
    Water here is still low 80’s. But fishing on Pickwick is tough for most right now. I am thinking it gets this way every year. All the large schools have busted up and been beaten to death. I will catch on deep,one suspended and one on top water. Last trip I didn’t land a fish. Which is kinda unusual for me. But when I see this happen I switch lakes for a while. That day wind had just switched coming from the north. Once the water gets into the 70’s and below things pick up as fish start bunching up again. I don’t think Pickwick really “turns over” because of a pretty consistent current. Maybe I just don’t notice it?

20. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by local16 View Post
    Our local lake has been turning over for the last week and a half. Usually only lasts about 2 weeks but the fishing gets absolutely terrible during the process. I’m talking bass and crappie. Does this happen across the country and what do you guys do to get them to bite during turn over.
    Do these lakes turn color? My lake, a quarry lake that is usually fairly clear to clear, has been this awful pea green in color for weeks now and I think that throw the fishing off. Three weeks ago I was still seeing the thermocline in 18-20ft so fairly sure the lake wasn't turning over and temps were still around 80. The water color may be an algae bloom or groom some of the grass dying off - or being sprayed dead. Can't help with combatting the turnover other than covering water hoping to run into bunch shallow when the conditions improve.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast