Ceramic coating?

So has anyone got a ceramic coating on the fiberglass boat? I wash and wax often but was wondering if a professional ceramic coating would get those hairlines and swirls out .
    Also what do you think it would cost

Quote Originally Posted by nitro26 View Post
    So has anyone got a ceramic coating on the fiberglass boat? I wash and wax often but was wondering if a professional ceramic coating would get those hairlines and swirls out .
    No it will not, Wet sanding final step with 3000 trizact, buffing with the right pads first, then Appling the ceramic sealer, at least 2 coat 24 hours cure time between coats, every 90 days go over boat with pro-tech.......that's how I Do it, Look better than new.
    Prices start at 1,000, have to see condition for quotes.
    Example, many said could not be saved
    20230923_082848.jpg
    Thank You Leon Pugh

No it will not, Wet sanding final step with 3000 trizact, buffing with the right pads first, then Appling the ceramic sealer, at least 2 coat 24 hours cure time between coats, every 90 days go over boat with pro-tech.......that's how I Do it, Look better than new.
    Prices start at 1,000, have to see condition for quotes.
    Example, many said could not be saved
    20230923_082848.jpg
    Thank You Leon Pugh

I didn’t think I’d need to wet sand , the boat is a 2019 . It’s in great shape I take great care of it if just like to get those hairlines out…. But maybe that’s what it needs

5. Member
    Leave it in the garage. Never, never, never put it in the water, or haul a nasty old fish on board.

LOL !!

I use it all the time…..
    but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with trying to keep it looking good , I got a lot of cash tied up in it

I didn’t think I’d need to wet sand , the boat is a 2019 . It’s in great shape I take great care of it if just like to get those hairlines out…. But maybe that’s what it needs
    Depends on the care it has had. Stress cracks will not go away with wet sanding or buffing, may be less noticeable though.
    Unless you know what, you are doing I would not recommend using the high-end ceramic coatings, most these will not even sell to you without verifying you have the proper equipment and know how to use it.
    Don't believe all the hype you read about ceramic coating. It is very good butt still needs the proper maintenance.
    It will not protect a boat near as long as they would have you believe. About 3 years max if you do your part
    Thank You Leon Pugh

8. Member
    The big difference and cost between PRO and Home ceramic coatings is the prep, ( clay bar, paint correction, restore finish, climate controlled environment, proper drying time.....)

98% if the work is in the prep. ceramic can be applied in 1 hour or less. minimum 2 coats 24-hour cure between coats
    Thank You Leon Pugh

10. Member
    I use it all the time…..
    but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with trying to keep it looking good , I got a lot of cash tied up in it
    It's pretty funny the amount of guys on here that will clown someone for waxing their rigs, or wiping it down at the ramp. I run into too shallow of water, bump it into docks, get battle scars here and there, so its not exactly a garage queen. At the end of the day doing the wipedowns and preventative maintenance will keep the expensive boat looking good for a lot longer than the guy who may more may not wash it once a year.

For your original question, its pretty tough to answer as "ceramic" is kind of a catch all term now. A proper full polish with ceramic coating applied will likely last a long time and look great, but I have my doubts its going to be anywhere near the length of time that they promote. And unfortunately the detail world can be kind of shady, and you might pay a pile of cash to get a guy to do a quick polish and then simply wipe it down with a regular product that they claim is a true "ceramic".

For myself I like to simply do boat wipe downs after every trip with hot sauce to prevent water spots, and when I wash the boat I use a product called https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C2S76NX...ix=hydro+pearl , which is a spray on / rinse off ceramic type product. It has a pretty dang good lifespan, and is very user friendly. Every now and again when the boat needs it I'll do a light polish with an all in one product like this https://www.amazon.com/Graphene-Cera...e%2C283&sr=1-7
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Hot sauce strips everything you have applied to protect the gelcoat, Not on my boats or any that I prep
    Thank You Leon Pugh

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Hot sauce strips everything you have applied to protect the gelcoat, Not on my boats or any that I prep
    The coating still seems slick and smooth to me after using, and I have to buff after applying it to clear up the sealant . You could be right though. I'm almost through with my stash of hot sauce, was going to try a product called boat juice for a little while. I've used slick mist, it works ok but not much of a cleaner and doesn't seem to last as long as hot sauce did.

I was referring to getting it done professionally, there is a local shop that has a very good rep for quality work I just didn’t know what to expect on a boat finish, I’ve seen it do wonders on car finishes as far as removing swirl marks and hairline scratches
    Last edited by nitro26; 09-25-2023 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Added more information

14. Member
    I was referring to getting it done professionally, there is a local shop that has a very good rep for quality work I just didn’t know what to expect on a boat finish, I’ve seen it do wonders on car finishes as far as removing swirl marks and hairline scratches
    The ceramic has nothing to do with removing scratches and swirls, that’s all polishing. I think it’s generally accepted that ceramic coatings on boats don’t last as long as they do on cars either.

Marketing is a powerful thing …. I own a boat restoration business and don’t sell nor apply “ceramics” and I could if I wanted to. Not saying it doesn’t work to a point buttttt….”regular” wipe downs, washing, waxing, the correct way with good products. It’s that simple. It’s funny to hear people say “well I use X and my boat looks great” good, keep using it but whatever you use be consistent. Just remember the one thing that kills your finish is the sun or even light commin in through garage windows over time hurts. So a light dust cover in the garage is not a bad idea.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

16. Member
    I have been using the below listed product for the past year and it works extremely well IMO. I'm certain there are other products that work well too. As Crank said, and you know his info is always "spot on accurate", you need to be consistent. Owning dark colored items requires work to maintain the look and beauty; or just buy white or silver which are also nice.

IMG_4529.jpg IMG_2176.jpg

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by weiglein4 View Post
    I have been using the below listed product for the past year and it works extremely well IMO. I'm certain there are other products that work well too. As Crank said, and you know his info is always "spot on accurate", you need to be consistent. Owning dark colored items requires work to maintain the look and beauty; or just buy white or silver which are also nice.

IMG_4529.jpg IMG_2176.jpg
    Beautiful truck / boat combo, but all that black gives me anxiety about keeping it clean

18. Member
    It's definitely something that requires attention but I knew that going in.

19. Member
    I ceramic coated my 04 Ranger 520. It came out far better than I anticipated. When people at the ramp admire the boat and make compliments, then I really knew it was well worth the effort. A true ceramic coating should last 3-5yrs. There is another product that has great reviews and is easy to apply. Chemical Guys Hydro Slick. $35-40/bottle and can buy it at Walmart. Apply once a year....done! Slicker than $hit and nothing sticks to the gelcoat. I use Bass Boat Saver on everything else. And some cheap tire foam on the trailer frame.