Heavy Spin Rod for St. Lawrence

what are guys using for the heavier finesse stuff in current? i.e. 1/2 - 3/4oz dropshots, 1/2oz tubes, etc.

I'm sure i can make my medium powered rods work, i.e. steez "the one", but any other advice on rods you guys use for the heavier finesse would be greatly appreciated!

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I use my NRX 822S DSR for vertical dragging 3/4 oz dropshots around in the current. It's above the weight rating but I never really find it to be an issue. I dont drag a lot of tubes around but when I do I use my wife's GLX 783S SJR (if I did this more, I'd get myself an NRX 843S SJR).
    Last edited by BoatBuggy; 09-26-2023 at 01:28 PM.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

I like my Orochi XX Enforcer for what you describe.
    0G886873 Mercury Serial Number
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera III with 200 Merc

4. Member
    I use an Loomis NRX 852 for 1/2 oz tubes and a GCX 822S DSR for drop shot.

5. Member
    NRX 872 does all that very well

6. Member
    Levante Enforcer is my go to! Matched with a Certate 4000CXH. 15lb. braid and 8lb. Tatsu leader. I have caught ALOT of fish with that setup in the 1000 Islands. I love it. In fact, my brother just got the same rod this past year to use for the same applications.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhookset View Post
    what are guys using for the heavier finesse stuff in current? i.e. 1/2 - 3/4oz dropshots, 1/2oz tubes, etc.

I'm sure i can make my medium powered rods work, i.e. steez "the one", but any other advice on rods you guys use for the heavier finesse would be greatly appreciated!
    761MML would have been my initial thought (which is a Medium-Medium Light, to be fair, somewhere between both ratings). If that doesn't cut it, Utility Player Spin?
    I have the Poison Ultima 6'10" M that I throw a lot of power finesse on - 5/16oz heads plus 5 inch worms, 1/2+oz dropshots etc. The spinning version of that rod has a lower rating, but I'd expect it to do just as well as the casting model if you're willing to spring that kinda cash.

Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    I use my NRX 822S DSR for dragging 3/4 oz dropshots around in the current. It's above the weight rating but I never really find it to be an issue. I dont drag a lot of tubes around but when I do I use my wife's GLX 783S SJR (if I did this more, I'd get myself an NRX 843S SJR).
    Interesting, I threw 1/2oz + worm on my previous-gen 822 DSR a couple of times and I was always sweating blood :) Didn't feel safe to bomb casts with.

8. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakestar View Post
    Interesting, I threw 1/2oz + worm on my previous-gen 822 DSR a couple of times and I was always sweating blood :) Didn't feel safe to bomb casts with.
    I certainly don't bomb cast with that 3/4 weight..... I probably should have stated "vertical dragging" and I still need to use the TM to keep 3/4 oz on the bottom in many places.

If I'm casting a dropshot around on the 822 DSR it's not going to be more than 3/8.

9. Member
    For the heavier weights (1/2 -3/4) in the current the 852 and 872 NRX work real nice. The 822 is designed more for vertical presentations with lighter weights. In theory the 822 would work better in the lake or in areas with limited current. Personally, the 822 always feels too flimsy for me. The 852 NRX works nice in both scenarios. If had to pick just 1 rod it would be the 852.

How does the 852 GCX compare to the NRX? Is the NRX really worth $400 more?

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    The only way to find out is to fish an NRX and compare yourself. As rods become more high-end, they plateau and the returns become increasingly less obvious (but they're still clear to people who fish high-end regularly). If the improvement in sensitivity (and possibly weight) from a GCX -> IMX is 50%, and it's 30% from IMX -> GLX, and it's only(?) 15% from GLX -> NRX, is that last upgrade really worth the money? I think yes, but others might disagree. (Especially when you can get a GLX-level of sensitivity on much cheaper rods like a Trika 6x).

If you're used to the GCX you'll definitely see a noticeable upgrade in fishing experience by buying a GLX or NRX. But whether it's really worth it to you is one of those personal things. Do you need an Audi, Porsche or Ferrari to do your daily commute when the old Honda Civic is doing a fine job? Some people say yes. Others don't think it's worth it.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakestar View Post
    The only way to find out is to fish an NRX and compare yourself. As rods become more high-end, they plateau and the returns become increasingly less obvious (but they're still clear to people who fish high-end regularly). If the improvement in sensitivity (and possibly weight) from a GCX -> IMX is 50%, and it's 30% from IMX -> GLX, and it's only(?) 15% from GLX -> NRX, is that last upgrade really worth the money? I think yes, but others might disagree. (Especially when you can get a GLX-level of sensitivity on much cheaper rods like a Trika 6x).

If you're used to the GCX you'll definitely see a noticeable upgrade in fishing experience by buying a GLX or NRX. But whether it's really worth it to you is one of those personal things. Do you need an Audi, Porsche or Ferrari to do your daily commute when the old Honda Civic is doing a fine job? Some people say yes. Others don't think it's worth it.
    well said. Some say an Ugly stick is plenty sensitive for them, others want to feel a ghosts sneeze. The law of diminishing returns is definitely in effect and may vary between brands and persons. as an example, the $200-$300 range of St Croix. Avids are great, but I didn’t see really any substantial improvement to justify the previous gen LTBs. In fact I preferred the Avids. You don’t really see any truly noticeable differences (besides cosmetics) until you get above the LTB rods when comparing an Avid.

For Loomis, the GCXs are overpriced for what they are, and there’s a significant improvement when jumping to the IMXs. Loomis improvements do seem more noticeable between models but so do the prices. Like you said, whether the increase from the IMX to GLX is “worth it” is up the to individual.

This is also where rod building comes into play, you can build an IMX, GLX or NRX equivalent (NFC IM, HM/XRay, and XRay/CO2, respectively) for about 1/3 to 1/2 of the cost.
    Last edited by ECobb91; 10-02-2023 at 06:04 AM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

13. Moderator
    My take to this question is to at least start with an IMX, in the Loomis line. I believe there has always been better options at that GL2, E6X, or GCX price point. You can argue IMX comparisons all day, but I think you'll be disappointed if you go below it...That said, I'd go NRX...
    Steve

14. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    If I'm buying a Loomis rod if'll be an NRX / NRX+. Below that there are better rods at much better price points from other manufacturers.