Thread: I WONDER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I WONDER

are the hummingbirds starting their migration? I'm running four feeders and they are emptying them about every two days. It looks like there are a lot of young birds.The feeders in the front look like one of the old WW1 movies with the old Bi-Planes swarming around.

2. Member
    I've got 2 feeders out in my backyard and have at least 5 hummingbirds visiting them. Got a couple males that like to hang out in our crepe myrtle and guard the feeders.

3. Member
    I think the migration is just starting. I'm starting to see more than the regular birds that have been around all summer. I keep the feeders full so that the migrating hummingbirds have a place to feed on their way south.

A lot more birds here in the last week

5. Member
    Our males always leave in August. This year they stayed till the end of August. The females are hitting the feeders hard and fast now.
    They leave around late September to October. Fun to watch them feed hard right before they leave.
    We run our feeders till November, because some stop by on there way south.

6. Member
    I looked out this morning and saw one sitting in the grass under the feeder. Couldn't figure out why it would be there until it finally moved and I could see it had another bird pinned to the ground, on its back. I only have one feeder out and they are getting cranky.

7. Member
    They have been sucking mine dry this past week. And I have to get one out of my garage about every day.

8. Member
    Only have a couple hummingbirds. Just refilled my feeder. Hate to see those little rascals leave.

9. Member
    Haven't seen our regular rubies in several days. They normally leave right about now
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

10. Member
    In the last week I've gone from 6 or 7 down to 2

11. Member
    Was on fire until a week ago now they hardly show up.

Our two males left about 2 weeks ago. The females went last week. Just the 2 young birds now and they're feeding up real good. I just hope they have brains enough to start heading south soon. That will increase their chances of survival!
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

13. Member
    I filled 4 feeders Sunday and it looks like I'll have to fill again Tuesday. Little guys are hungry.

14. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    We put feeders out and we're lucky if we get a couple of birds every other year or so. This thread got me to thinking. Why do you never see a flock of Hummingbirds headed south?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OBT View Post
    Our two males left about 2 weeks ago. The females went last week. Just the 2 young birds now and they're feeding up real good. I just hope they have brains enough to start heading south soon. That will increase their chances of survival!
    You have to quit feeding them to help them leave!

16. Member
    We had no idea that they were around here this year but wife asked me to hang some feeders for her and now we have somewhere between 8 and ten. Hard to tell for sure. One keeps coming in my shop and getting stuck. Same bird it seems. I have to leave the 20 foot door open,turn all lights off and wait for dark. Always check before bedtime and close up. My dogs are really amused by them. Wife enjoys watching them. Crazy things will come to the window and watch you as to say hello.

17. Member
    We had 14 or 15 up until about 2 weeks ago, now have 4. We were filling 3 feeders daily. They are a blast to watch!

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

18. Member
    i just went from 4 to 1 mix to a 8 to 1 mix on the sugar so they don't hang out here too long? is this correct?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Old video (1 of 3 feeders) but this is typical this time of year. Probably a bunch making a pit stop while heading south.

Quote Originally Posted by RangrSkipr View Post
    We put feeders out and we're lucky if we get a couple of birds every other year or so. This thread got me to thinking. Why do you never see a flock of Hummingbirds headed south?
    The nature of the beast. It's just what they do.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast