Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Inexpensive Impact mabe electric?

Very seldom use one, mostly once or twice a year changing my Scag Mower blades. Yesterday mine (air) was acting very wonky, trigger sticking, no power. I could only turn it on and off by switching between forward and reverse. It's very old and was old when given to me 20 years ago.

It is 3 about 1-1/4 bolts so needs some power but thinking of going electric.

Harbor Freight? suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    I bought one that matches with my other power tools so I could use the same battery, I have a Makita and it works wonderfully but was not cheap.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    I bought one that matches with my other power tools so I could use the same battery, I have a Makita and it works wonderfully but was not cheap.
    If you have other battery tools this is the way to go. I love Milwaukee, but if I was just buying for as you describe, I'd go HF.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

HF fine for infrequent homeowner use. I wrench for a living and in the Milwaukee camp but it's overkill for your situation.
    Ranting incoherently

5. Member
    I have everything Ryobi, and just recently purchased their impact. Bought it if I had a flat while towing the boat. Tried it on the wheels so far so good. 600lbs of breakaway torque, 450lbs of tightening torque. Has 3 torque settings plus automatic.
    Last edited by Cover Dog; 09-11-2023 at 09:30 AM.
    2018 AlumaCraft Competitor 185cs, 2018 Yamaha F150XB w/2019 Yamaha T9.9 kicker w/Trollsmarter
    Heritage Custom Trailer w/Torsion axle / Vault Hubs & 4 step Trick Step
    Terrova 80# 24v I-Pilot, GARMIN 126sv
    Towed by: 2018 Chevy Colorado V6 Crew Cab 4x4 Long bed or 2016 Winnebago 38Q

6. Member
    I purchased this a few years ago. It's performed flawlessly. Lots of suspension work with it.
    Just installed 3 new motor mounts with it last week.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/7-amp-...+impact+wrench

7. Member
    Just buy another air tool impact. Harbor freight has them cheap.
    John the Garage Doorman

8. Member
    Get the electric from Harbor Freight. I have my Dad's Ingersol-Rand made in the late 70's. He used it to assemble the round Butler grain bins for years. I've had it for at least 35 years. Has not given a bit of trouble.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredmechanic View Post
    He used it to assemble the round Butler grain bins for years.
    Funny one of my summer jobs in college was working nights building Butler grain bins off I-435 and Truman road. Pretty sure the name was changed a long time ago.

Thanks for al the help guys. I will go the HF rout end may just try this one.

https://www.harborfreight.com/7-amp-...+impact+wrench

10. Member
    If you have other cordless tools, be crazy to not just stick with that brand. Buy the tool only. No battery

11. Member
    I have Dewalt impacts just because that's what the rest of my tools are. Any will probably do the job.

12. Member
    I was working on a mower the other day and needed an electric impact. I ended up using my little electric hammer drill with a socket adapter like this and it got the job done.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-C...Set/5001659471

I was surprised, but it took a bolt off a pump fan that we could not budge by hand.

13. Member
    If you’re trying to save money just get another air impact since you already have compressor and everything else. Bang for buck will be your best bet. A good battery powered impact will cost a good bit of change.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

14. Member
    I really like the Kobalt brand. They are sold ar Lowes and seem to hold up well.

15. Member
    My dewalt 1/2 20v max impact does very well for the money

That think will twist your arms off if ya let it lol
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

16. Member
    pshh no way can electric provide the power and usage time that a gasser can. I would go 2 stroke if I had the choice...

In reality, I would recommend getting the impact that matches the tool brand you already have (I.E. Dewalt, Milwaukee, etc.) If you don't have many of the new battery operated tools, then it may be a good reason to start buying some. If that's not your jam, then I would go cheap pneumatic for your at home and relatively little use situation.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    If you’re trying to save money just get another air impact since you already have compressor and everything else. Bang for buck will be your best bet. A good battery powered impact will cost a good bit of change.
    I agree with this and do not forget the air tool lube. It will be around long after that battery dies.

18. Member
    You'll need a long hose to change that tire at the far end of your driveway, but a battery tool won't.

I bought a Ryobi since I already had a few of their tools with batteries. I hadn't had it but about a week when I came upon a guy who could not get the lug nuts off on his boat trailer using a regular lug wrench. I was his hero that day.
    Sick, tired, hungry, broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Olebiker View Post
    I bought a Ryobi since I already had a few of their tools with batteries. I hadn't had it but about a week when I came upon a guy who could not get the lug nuts off on his boat trailer using a regular lug wrench. I was his hero that day.
    Put one of these in the truck with the correct sockets and forget it until need'ed. Never a dead or weak battery. https://www.amazon.com/Angchun-%F0%9...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast