Helix or Solix ?

I am currently running 2 humminbird helix 9” mega gen 3 , and also a 12 inch Garmin for my Livescope . I was considering upgrading my humminbirds to 12 inch units also . So my question is…. I am happy with the helix units but since I’m upgrading what is everybody’s opinion on helix or Solix ? Advantages /disadvantages. Likes / dislikes?

2. Member
    I run Solix and Apex on my boat, I prefer the user layout on the Solix. Solix is the most power-hungry graph unit out there, so you will need a quality battery and wiring for it. I would say it is a lot based on your budget. Helix is very easy to operate and has great imaging. We offer both on our website, if we can assist you in any way.
    Last edited by BassBoatWired; 09-04-2023 at 09:31 AM.

BassBoatWired.com
    ForwardFacingSoanrs.com
    Hunt.Scope.Fish

Quote Originally Posted by BassBoatWired View Post
    I run Solix and Apex on my boat, I prefer the user layout on the Solix. Solix is the most power-hungry graph unit out there, so you will need a quality battery and wiring for it. I would say it is a lot based on your budget. Screen resolution on the Solix is better, but you could experience more networking issues or lagging at times. Helix is very easy to operate and has great imaging. We offer both on our website, if we can assist you in any way.
    A Helix 12 and SOLIX 12 have the same display pixel count== 1280 X 800
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Stay with the Helix

Solix is a whole other animal and has some strange quirks when networked with another Solix/Apex not to mention a ton of settings you will most likely never need or use

The difference in image quality is not worth the hassle of learning yet another user interface and the quirks that come with it

And BassBoatWired is correct the Solix is a power hungry monster

You’re happy with the Helix your familiar with the system and menus so stick with it
    "The handicapped angler"

Thx guys

6. Member
    Stay Helix. Buy a 16" one even!

7. Member
    I've had both models. Stay with Helix! Solix use a TON of battery power. Heck, you can hear them humming constantly. The only reason I was running the Solix, they came on my Nitro. They also were very glitchy at times IMO. Had to turn off the main power supply a couple times in order to be able to restart them. A lot of the big boys use the Helix over the Solix/Apex due to these reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Keoweefishing View Post
    Stay Helix. Buy a 16" one even!
    No such thing, Helix 15 is the largest one with a 15.4" display.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    Solix are superior in almost everyway. Being able to share map cards alone makes it worth it to me. Also the touch screen at the console is a must. Trying to set waypoints with a cursor is a joke once you have used a touchscreen.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    Solix are superior in almost everyway. Being able to share map cards alone makes it worth it to me. Also the touch screen at the console is a must. Trying to set waypoints with a cursor is a joke once you have used a touchscreen.
    One thousand and one one thousand and two one thousand and three, done

11. Member
    HELIX! Unless all of the bugs in the software have been fixed in the Solix. I had a 12 and 15 Gen 2 and they were a disaster.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildkat7 View Post
    I've had both models. Stay with Helix! Solix use a TON of battery power. Heck, you can hear them humming constantly. The only reason I was running the Solix, they came on my Nitro. They also were very glitchy at times IMO. Had to turn off the main power supply a couple times in order to be able to restart them. A lot of the big boys use the Helix over the Solix/Apex due to these reasons.
    I've noticed the same, lots of pros run the helix units. I thought my helix units were quirky and required lots of restarts, but apparently the solix is next level with those issues. I think the main issue is they flat out don't have enough computing power in those graphs.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Solix for me.
    Much like electric windows in a truck--Once you use them----hard to go back to roll up.

14. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    I agree. Other than the last update, which hopefully gets an update soon, I love my three solix units. To me helix seems antiquated next to my solix
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

Had 3 12" Solix units on my last rig, always battery problems. Went back to 3 12" Helix units-problem solved.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    I agree. Other than the last update, which hopefully gets an update soon, I love my three solix units. To me helix seems antiquated next to my solix
    what are the update issues people are grumbling about ?
    I haven’t noticed an issue yet.
    2021 rt188p , Mercury 115 Pro XS CT , Croxton Razor 4XLR 22 , Z lock 4” jack plate , 8’ power pole blades

Quote Originally Posted by Madeintheshade View Post
    what are the update issues people are grumbling about ?
    I haven’t noticed an issue yet.
    Too many updates have crashed units

I had to pay to ship two solix’s back the HB because an update bricked them

HB fixed them for free but you do not want to know how much it costs to ship two solix’s completely insured

I have not done an update for almost two years because they work and I don’t want to pay to ship them back again

Other updates meant to fix one thing accidently cause other issues

You need to know HB bought the company that designed the original system the Solix uses (they did not design this themselves) and I doubt a single tech that help build that original system still works for them so you can imagine what problems this can cause when you try to make changes to it
    "The handicapped angler"

Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    Too many updates have crashed units

I had to pay to ship two solix’s back the HB because an update bricked them

HB fixed them for free but you do not want to know how much it costs to ship two solix’s completely insured

I have not done an update for almost two years because they work and I don’t want to pay to ship them back again

Other updates meant to fix one thing accidently cause other issues

You need to know HB bought the company that designed the original system the Solix uses (they did not design this themselves) and I doubt a single tech that help build that original system still works for them so you can imagine what problems this can cause when you try to make changes to it
    The ONIX was on the market in May 2014. It came from the GeoNav purchase.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL