Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

2. Member
    High prices, high interest rates, and poor build quality the last few years are catching up with the industry. Will gladly keep my pre-Covid rig and be very happy.

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman469 View Post
    High prices, high interest rates, and poor build quality the last few years are catching up with the industry. Will gladly keep my pre-Covid rig and be very happy.
    Me Too…..Went to the RV show last year and was considering upgrading, WOW did prices go up.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

4. Member
    I'm wondering how their sales stack up against historical averages....The media does the same thing with Auto sales..They will compare year over year sales after a record breaking period and cry doom and gloom in the market to get click bait..
    I'm sure reality is setting in for alot of new buyers but here in Michigan reserving campground sites is still a struggle..For alot of weekends you have to book 6 months out..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

5. Member
    High fuel prices ain’t helping.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    I'm wondering how their sales stack up against historical averages....The media does the same thing with Auto sales..They will compare year over year sales after a record breaking period and cry doom and gloom in the market to get click bait..
    I'm sure reality is setting in for alot of new buyers but here in Michigan reserving campground sites is still a struggle..For alot of weekends you have to book 6 months out..
    You're definitely right about the year over year comparisons that are not fair. Every year cannot be a record year, especially in a high dollar industry. Also, a lot of people bought RV's during COVID and I think many are realizing the cost of owning them, while life gets back to normal and they have much less time to use them.

I just rented an RV for the first time this week as part of our salmon fishing trip. I do not see the appeal. The "campground" if you want to call it that, was crowded. I was closer to other people in the campground than I am at my own house, and I'm not sure what people do all day except sit around. I don't think I would ever stay in an RV again if it wasn't tied to a fishing trip.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by posmallie View Post
    You're definitely right about the year over year comparisons that are not fair. Every year cannot be a record year, especially in a high dollar industry. Also, a lot of people bought RV's during COVID and I think many are realizing the cost of owning them, while life gets back to normal and they have much less time to use them.

I just rented an RV for the first time this week as part of our salmon fishing trip. I do not see the appeal. The "campground" if you want to call it that, was crowded. I was closer to other people in the campground than I am at my own house, and I'm not sure what people do all day except sit around. I don't think I would ever stay in an RV again if it wasn't tied to a fishing trip.
    AirBNBs or whatever are the way to go in my opinion...No storage, No maintenance , I can haul my boat and not worry about going Tandem or any of that...and when the weekend is done you get to leave....Then there is depreciation..but everyone has their own thing...
    Rustic camping is still pretty good and not as busy...You just have to build a shower point..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

8. Member
    I can’t imagine anything built cheaper, with less quantity. New are pure JUNK!

Isn’t this industry one of the first to go to heck when the economic outlook is bleak?
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Isn’t this industry one of the first to go to heck when the economic outlook is bleak?
    Well...If 2008/2009 sales are an indicator...I would say yes..
    https://www.rvia.org/historical-rv-data
    Zinn

11. Member
    Surprise

A related question is if or when does this happen to bass boats? The economic conditions causing this decline work the same on boats. And, whether it's an RV or a boat, owning a unit from a defunct builder is bad news, ask an E-Tec owner.

Basscat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckTR21 View Post
    And, whether it's an RV or a boat, owning a unit from a defunct builder is bad news, ask an E-Tec owner.
    Sometimes it pays off…..

14. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Kind of plays in to the old adage "If it Flies, Floats or F's .. . Rent it"

A recession would help bring down prices. For those with savings that don't lose their jobs, and aren't heavily invested in the stock market, it's a good thing. You can swoop in and buy repo homes, trucks, and boats cheap. Cash will be King.

16. Member
    Makes sense from what I have seen at the local RV lot in Baton Rouge. All the car lots have been nearly empty the past year or two while the RV lot has been overflowing with inventory.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I.P. Freely View Post
    Sometimes it pays off…..

Quote Originally Posted by posmallie View Post

You either get it or you don’t and that is fine.

For us, it is the ability to bring or dogs, sleep in our own bed, use our own stuff.

Flexibility, to pick up and go where you please and more.

We have owned three different units and really enjoy it. But I do understand your point.
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    AirBNBs or whatever are the way to go in my opinion...No storage, No maintenance , I can haul my boat and not worry about going Tandem or any of that...and when the weekend is done you get to leave....Then there is depreciation..but everyone has their own thing...
    Rustic camping is still pretty good and not as busy...You just have to build a shower point..
    Yes, that is how some friends of mine feel, others own RVs.. Fortunately we have choices.

However, the same thing can be said about boat ownership.

Much cheaper to hire guides.
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

20. Member
    Had a fifth wheel for 8 years. Best day was when I sold it. I was always working on it and it leaked more than a wet basement in Florida. Know a few people who love them but not for me.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast