Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

From Bass Cat to Phoenix

I've been looking at new/1 year old boats lately. I am currently in a Puma FTD and love the boat but want to upgrade to a newer rig with lower hours. It's down to 2 boats for me: either a new Phoenix 721 or a 100 hour Cougar. Being very familiar with the Cat build quality, ride, and performance has anyone switched from Cat to Phoenix and regretted it or vice versa?

I have never owned a Phoenix but have ridden in several and know guys who will only run a Phoenix. They run great, and ride great. Where I think they could improve is getting rid of all the plastic trim in the boat. There are better quality ways to finish edges. The trailers are not the same build quality as BCB but they are certainly adequate.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    I went from a puma to phoenix 920. Never thought I’d leave a fine company like basscat but I’ve had no regrets. Both great companies but I like the layout of my bird much better. Basscat has better carpet and trailers in my opinion but I’ve had no issues with either boat. You can’t go wrong with either
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

4. Member
    I sold my Cougar FTD and bought a skeeter fxr20 over the phoenix. I wanted a better ride and better interior layout. I love it.. rides much better, wider boat, more stable while fishing... Not as fast, but I don't care about that... I wanted something that rode better and was less tippy. The rear storage is better lay out. Rear compartments are much more usable (bigger openings and deeper). No carpet in the storage boxes either. I love the Yamaha sho. Skeeter builds a good trailer, too. Basscat is built well, but they seem like they're 20 years behind in the design of the interior.

Phoenix has a great interior layout as well, but the trailers are a big issue.

No regrets leaving basscat. Other makers are great too...
    2023 Skeeter FXR20
    Lake Guntersville

5. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeypro View Post
    I sold my Cougar FTD and bought a skeeter fxr20 over the phoenix. I wanted a better ride and better interior layout. I love it.. rides much better, wider boat, more stable while fishing... Not as fast, but I don't care about that... I wanted something that rode better and was less tippy. The rear storage is better lay out. Rear compartments are much more usable (bigger openings and deeper). No carpet in the storage boxes either. I love the Yamaha sho. Skeeter builds a good trailer, too. Basscat is built well, but they seem like they're 20 years behind in the design of the interior.

Phoenix has a great interior layout as well, but the trailers are a big issue.

No regrets leaving basscat. Other makers are great too...
    your description of your skeeter is spot on. When I had one it was the most stable platform I had although like you said a bit slow but big deal. Their customer service is not as good as cat or phoenix and it’s nice they started making their own trailers
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BDA79 View Post
    I've been looking at new/1 year old boats lately. I am currently in a Puma FTD and love the boat but want to upgrade to a newer rig with lower hours. It's down to 2 boats for me: either a new Phoenix 721 or a 100 hour Cougar. Being very familiar with the Cat build quality, ride, and performance has anyone switched from Cat to Phoenix and regretted it or vice versa?
    Tell me again why you would consider another brand?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    Tell me again why you would consider another brand?
    Cost. Similarly rigged the Cougar seems to average 15-17k more than the 721 (for a new boat or same price for a 100 hour Cat vs 0 hour 721) If the build quality is the same and ride quality is there, why spend the extra money.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BDA79 View Post
    Cost. Similarly rigged the Cougar seems to average 15-17k more than the 721 (for a new boat or same price for a 100 hour Cat vs 0 hour 721) If the build quality is the same and ride quality is there, why spend the extra money.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
    So you can brag to your buddies! LOL Seriously, Phoenix is a great build. Save the money and buy the one that gives the best bang for the buck. 721 is really popular for a reason.
    2023 Skeeter FXR20
    Lake Guntersville

9. #FRB
    Even if they were priced the same I'd still choose a Phoenix over a BassCat because I like the Phoenix better. The only one that can decide which is best for them is the one spending the money.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    The only one that can decide which is best for them is the one spending the money.
    Cmon now, this isn’t your first day here. It’s our job to tell people what’s best and where to spend their money. Now where are all the Basscat guys to defend the brand.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

So you can brag to your buddies!
    Not even close and reeks of jealousy. BCB is a better built boat with more refinement than Phoenix. The plastic edge trim as one of many examples. The trailer is a huge one as well. Phoenix makes a great boat for sure but not quite up to the level of a BCB. Some people buy a Toyota, some want and can afford a Lexus. They are both great but one is clearly more refined. Will that refinement catch you more fish? Nope. Bragging has NOTHING to do with it.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

12. Member
    I don't own either but have been in them. I'd take the Phoenix anyday. Far better rough water ride that doesn't jar the hell out of you. As far as build quality I laugh every time somebody touts their particular brand. I do fiberglass repair and can pick the hell out of any boat that comes through my shop as far as fit and finish. Buy whatever you like.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Not even close and reeks of jealousy.
    LOL!! Are you the basscat spokesperson? I speak from experience... I just sold my 21 basscat like 3 weeks ago. This is exactly why I said that ...

more refinement than Phoenix.
    More refinement... You mean like that awful battery and wig like electrical connections in the wide open bilge? Not even a power switch... Just keep flipping the circuit breaker open and closed. Or refinement like still having carpet in every box to keep moisture and smells in while the industry has gone to molded in finished fiberglass boxes. Or the hinges you trip over on the back deck? Do you really take that lid off that much?

Yes, they are built well... But they are also behind in alot of areas.
    Last edited by Bogeypro; 08-24-2023 at 08:39 AM.
    2023 Skeeter FXR20
    Lake Guntersville

Starting to see a lot of Phoenix boats around here. I've never been in one but couldn't help notice how low they sit in the water compared to most other boats. Doesn't appear to be much free board to keep you dry.

If you want a better big water ride than your Puma FTD, look for a new or used Cougar 203 Hybrid. My friend has a new 721, the speed is the same as my 203 Cougar, but the 721 deck is smaller and overall the boat feels smaller than the Cougar.

I'm a Firm believer of touring the plant where your next boat is being built. Ask lot of questions.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

17. Member
    LOL!! Are you the basscat spokesperson? I speak from experience... I just sold my 21 basscat like 3 weeks ago. This is exactly why I said that ...

More refinement... You mean like that awful battery and wig like electrical connections in the wide open bilge? Not even a power switch... Just keep flipping the circuit breaker open and closed. Or refinement like still having carpet in every box to keep moisture and smells in while the industry has gone to molded in finished fiberglass boxes. Or the hinges you trip over on the back deck? Do you really take that lid off that much?

Yes, they are built well... But they are also behind in alot of areas.
    Basscat always seems at least a decade behind in the styling department too. You look at a early 2000's basscat and it's easy to think it was an 80's model. Or even now, with the all the accents and stripes and stickers all over the place they kind of look like early 2000s nascar styling. I know they have great build quality, and the customer service is top notch. But if I'm dropping 100K on a boat, I would have a very hard time if I didn't think it was a great looking boat.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Phoenix is making some beautiful boats and seem well built too. They really have a hold here. Lots are running them. Lots of repeats buyers too.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Phoenix is making some beautiful boats and seem well built too. They really have a hold here. Lots are running them. Lots of repeats buyers too.
    We don't have a huge bassboat market here, but they are dominating up here as well. When you look across a bigger tournament blastoff, amongst the newer boats phoenix is probably at 70+%
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Seeing more and more Phoenix boats around Lake Lanier. Good looking boats that don’t look dated!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast