Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MK trolling motor TH marine nut won’t unscrew off….

Hey guys, last night while on the water, line got caught bad on the TM.

I unscrewed the TH marine nut and removed the prop and removed all the line. I thought something fell in the water but didn’t know for sure.

put the prop back on and screwed the nut and the prop would work in the water anymore.

I think what possibly fell in the water was the pin.

Now I keep unscrewing the TH marine nut but it keeps turning and not loosening to come off.

Any idea on how I can remove it?

thanks everyone

Pin......

Somehow you need to hold the shaft to unscrew the nut, you may have to ruin the prop to do it though....

3. Member
    You're going to have to drill a hole in the prop nut so you can hold the prop shaft with a screwdriver, it's slotted on the end just for that purpose.

If you ever have to take it off on the water again, keep your prop horizontal to keep the pin from falling out.

4. Member
    Same thing happened to me last year in the driveway. Since the pin wasn't in the nut is not fully tightened. I used a wood shim in between the prop and nut or the prop and housing(cant remember which) it puts just enough pressure that you should be able to back the nut off.

5. Member
    The problem with me trying to stick something like a shim to hold it might not work because of how the TH marine nut is designed.
    I might be wrong but the inner part is wrapped around the shaft. So me sticking something in to try and hold the shaft won’t work because I’m just touching the inner part of the th marine nut.

6. Member
    Cold chisel and a small hammer, Peck at it to shock it loose as last resort.

7. Member
    Drilling out the center of the nut might be difficult but it's either that or destroy the prop. With a regular but unglamorous conventional stainless steel nut you could use an impact wrench.

Keep in mind, you don't want to bend the shaft....... It usually cost more to fix.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Drilling out the center of the nut might be difficult but it's either that or destroy the prop. With a regular but unglamorous conventional stainless steel nut you could use an impact wrench.
    how big of a hole do I need?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrodbender View Post
    Keep in mind, you don't want to bend the shaft....... It usually cost more to fix.
    so what would be the safest way?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Cold chisel and a small hammer, Peck at it to shock it loose as last resort.
    peck at the inner part I’m assuming? Can this cause damage to the shaft?

Quote Originally Posted by datbasstho View Post
    so what would be the safest way?

If you can't find a way to get the nut off without a lot of force to the shaft, you may have to sacrafice the prop, it's plastic.

13. Member
    If you could run the motor in the reverse direction while holding on to the nut it should spin itself off? Am I thinking about that the right way??

Quote Originally Posted by mjdjr18 View Post
    If you could run the motor in the reverse direction while holding on to the nut it should spin itself off? Am I thinking about that the right way??

I thought about that and it may work but the shaft would have to spin counter clockwise

15. Member
    Bobs machine has a hole in end of nut to hold shaft incase this happens. Will need to break prop into two parts and start over likely
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

16. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I'd take a dremel tool and cut the prop.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

17. Member
    Dont ruin your prop nut by drilling a hole. Just cut the prop. Had to do it twice due to a sheared pin.
    X

Don't go BANGING on it !! You've got to drill a 1/4-5/16ths in hole in the end of the Prop Nut. Be sure to PUNCH it in the center before you drill so that the drill won't wonder and mess up the Prop Nut. That would be as small as you could go. There's a single "Slot" in the end of the Prop Shaft.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

19. Member
    This is the main reason I won’t use that prop nut. Just not worth the headache if that shear pin goes.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

20. Member
    i would call th marine and ask them how to remove their poorly designed prop nut maybe they would put an access hole in them next time
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast