Thread: 8/1 report

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar

8/1 report

Hit viking today. Lake is finally full pool and actually a little more and looking good. Caught lot of good fish.
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

2. Member
    My club fished it a week ago on Saturday lots of fish caught just nobody caught anything over 4 pounds.
    John the Garage Doorman

3. Member
    What did the water look like? Last time I was there it was slimy and mossy. But water was clear.

4. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Looked a lot better than last time I was there
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorman1 View Post
    My club fished it a week ago on Saturday lots of fish caught just nobody caught anything over 4 pounds.
    Nothing over 4 lbs.? Pitiful! I think you are spoiled
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Nothing over 4 lbs.? Pitiful! I think you are spoiled
    I hope we are spoiled. It was our first tournament where big bass didn’t weigh 4 pounds or more in over 2 years. It was also the first tournament in Iowa in over 3 years where big bass wasn’t 5 pounds or bigger. Iowa lakes have been really good for us it’s just too bad that our rules say we have to fish half our tournaments in Nebraska every year.
    John the Garage Doorman

I hope we are spoiled. It was our first tournament where big bass didn’t weigh 4 pounds or more in over 2 years. It was also the first tournament in Iowa in over 3 years where big bass wasn’t 5 pounds or bigger. Iowa lakes have been really good for us it’s just too bad that our rules say we have to fish half our tournaments in Nebraska every year.
    When I was growing up in Iowa (60’s and 70’s) a 4 lb. bass would probably make the local newspaper. Of course we ate ‘em back then.
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

8. Member
    [QUOTE=tcesni;13117570]When I was growing up in Iowa (60’s and 70’s) a 4 lb. bass would probably make the local newspaper. Of course we ate ‘em back then.[/QUOTE

what part of the state (ia) did you like to fish in the 60’s/70’s?

9. Member
    I fished 3 mile on Tuesday and caught 17 bass but nothing over 3 pounds. did catch 4 bonus walleyes 20-22 inches

[QUOTE=Redog;13117584]
    When I was growing up in Iowa (60’s and 70’s) a 4 lb. bass would probably make the local newspaper. Of course we ate ‘em back then.[/QUOTE

what part of the state (ia) did you like to fish in the 60’s/70’s?
    I learned to bass fish on Rock Creek Lake near Grinnell ( grew up in Newton) and had the good fortune to be the right age when the lake was on the rebound after a total renovation and restocking was providing outstanding fishing opportunities. This was in the late 60’s/early 70’s and I joined my first club in 1974 or 75. For me it was a Big O, Jelly Worm or a buzzbait and we camped there every weekend with an occasional spring trip to Rathbun for crappie fishing. My folks later moved to a community on the lake whilst I went off to college, got married and started a family. I never had the opportunity to fish many of the other state lakes, especially those in western Iowa but I did fish Big Creek quite a bit when it first opened. Then I moved to West Lafayette, IN for graduate school and experienced what it was like to win a club tournament with two fish. Opportunities were awful there but like Iowa the bass fishing is far better today than it was 40 years ago. I really can’t believe it’s been that many years. I took my 95 year old father for a drive to Rock Creek today and we sat on a bench dedicated to him and my Mom (deceased).

11. Member
    Thank you for sharing your story!! I’ve boated on red rock a few times but never fished it. I have fished below the dam at the campground a few times over the years. The worm and buzzbait are still some of my favorite baits to use!! I don’t travel much more than 45 minutes to fish on the weekend. That way I can be home and spend the rest of the day with my family. Someday soon my kids (girls) will be off to college (that day is coming way to fast) and I plan on traveling farther. So many places I want to try. :-)

OMG, Red Rock is such a mud puddle! Lots of prime top soil at the bottom of that lake. I’m totally smitten watching these tournaments on the Mississippi River. No one mentioned that river and bass in the same conversation when I was growing up. In 1984 I came very close to being offered a position at the U of NE in Lincoln and I remember looking at the map and not seeing a lot of fishing opportunities. Instead I ended up in suburban Philly that had more opportunities than you might think with a bit of driving and eventually I went to southeast Ontario which is pretty much bass fishing nirvana. Little events and your life goes in a different direction.

13. Member
    OMG, Red Rock is such a mud puddle! Lots of prime top soil at the bottom of that lake. I’m totally smitten watching these tournaments on the Mississippi River. No one mentioned that river and bass in the same conversation when I was growing up. In 1984 I came very close to being offered a position at the U of NE in Lincoln and I remember looking at the map and not seeing a lot of fishing opportunities. Instead I ended up in suburban Philly that had more opportunities than you might think with a bit of driving and eventually I went to southeast Ontario which is pretty much bass fishing nirvana. Little events and your life goes in a different direction.
    So what do you do for a living if you don’t mind me asking? No need for major details. But you must have travelled around a bit.

I recently retired after a career in developing crop protection products, mostly biological based insecticides and fungicides. Spent quite a bit of time back in the Midwest the past six years. I certainly never expected to retire with nearly 3 million miles flown! Now I have more time to figure out bass in a shad based fishery - they seem like ghosts.

15. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    FWIW .. . . fishing in NE has absolutely sucked. But I'm assuming you know that and was the intent of your comment

Yep!

17. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    And yet summit made BASS top 100 lakes. Never understood that one
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    And yet summit made BASS top 100 lakes. Never understood that one
    Summit is a perfect example of what is wrong in Nebraska. Through the years there has been lakes with great fish populations but were ultimately ruined by the lack of environmental management. Eastern Nebraska is mostly river valley and needs more investment from the state to deal with silt and sand settlement in the sand pit lakes and man made reservoirs. Invasive species is another key issue, but that one in my opinion is unavoidable. They usually don't deal with anything until the habitat is almost completely destroyed. Just think of how many lakes have been killed off and renovated over the last 20 years, some of the same lakes have been killed off multiple times now.

2012 Ranger z521
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangrSkipr View Post
    FWIW .. . . fishing in NE has absolutely sucked. But I'm assuming you know that and was the intent of your comment
    Yes it sucks in Nebraska but our club rules state 4 lakes in Nebraska and 4 lakes in Iowa. We have a bunch of older guys that cry when they have to drive more than a hour to fish. Doesn’t matter that when we go to Nebraska lakes very few fish are caught.

20. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Not familiar with Summit but I'm sure most of you have fished Wanahoo more than a few times. Eight years ago when that lake was only four years old I had a couple of spots in the channel that I could routinely catch 20 two, three four pound fish every trip. I haven't even had a bite my last six trips there. The feeder creek on the North end used to be 12-14' deep. It is now so silted in you can't even get to it. This is a 12 year old lake.

Was talking with an NRD employee that I ran into on another lake not too long ago and I asked him about the condition of Wanahoo. He said they realize they have a problem and there has been discussion about redoing everything north of the pedestrian jetty and bridge including the feeder creek. Just sad really. I hit another lake that was renovated just four years ago this morning. Water still down 5-6' despite recent rains (no watershed) in a lake with a max depth of 12' feet to begin. It had plenty of green slime though. Caught two dinks, a bluegill and a channel cat all on a crank bait. Somedays its just hard to get the boat out with any kind of enthusiasm for what you know is not there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast