Thread: Transom???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    The Transom search was done here on Bassboatcentral, Not Facebook. Go back and just type Transom in search on this Champion board. it's an eye opener. Yeah I agree it's a older boat, I'm looking at a 97 model . But boat looks to be in showroom condition, But looks can be desiving. I might just need to walk away from the boat!!!

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Before you just walk away, give the boat a chance. Have someone who knows boats to give it a thorough inspection. If it was well cared for, there are absolutely no worries. You might lose out on a treasure!!!!

3. Member
    I’m on the opposite end of the spectrum, if you’re scared of issues, go spend $90k on a brand new boat. No sweat off anyone’s back here if you don’t purchase a 25 year old boat, that might or might not have issues. Anything you buy, that doesn’t have warranty, can cost you money. I seen plenty of 3-5 year old 4 stroke motors that blow up, that’s not a cheap fix.

4. Member
    Since your in Tennessee, see if the seller is willing to take it to C&O marine to have the boat looked over. Would be wise to have the compression done on the engine as well. I run a 1999 203 and Norwood's Fiberglass (also in Tennessee) put a new transom in it back in 2021 for $6,200.

5. Member
    Good Advice. Thanks.

I think you should steer clear of Champion Boats. They're crap.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

7. Member
    Now, that definitely is a Troll!!!!! Lol

8. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    I think you should steer clear of Champion Boats. They're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    I just get tired of his crap. His last bout of trashing targeted OMC. He just can't be that naive, can he? I'm not buying it.

Opinions may vary...

10. Member
    I didn't want respond, But!!!! I'm getting ready to make a decision on handing out a bunch of Cash. So I come on Bassboatcentral for good advice. And yes, I did the same thing with the Johnson/Evinrude. So tell me again what I'm doing wrong. Isn't these forums for asking questions and getting advice. Hmmmmmmmmm.

11. Member
    You already know the answer, they have issues with transoms if not taken care of. Go buy a brand new boat and you’ll know what you’re getting and you’ll have the motor that you think is best.

Yep, the forum is for advice, you’ve been given it several times. Then you keep saying that, “you need to walk away from this boat”. Well walk away, trust your instinct, buy a new one. Even if you found the newest Champion made, it’s still going to be 13 years old, it could have transom issues or rotted stringers.

If you find a Champion that’s had dual power poles/talons on it, you better run away. The more weight on the rear of these boats, the more likely it will have issues.

12. Member
    I look at it like this, every year the number one stolen car is also the number one selling car. Big surprise! Champion sold a ton of boats! Some may have had transom issues but what is the overall percentage? You have to thoroughly check any boat before purchasing.

In your motor thread, ChampioNman answered your question with authority early in the discussion yet you ignored his advice and played it out for weeks resurrecting it from the dead several times prolonging the trash talk from all the usual haters. Now here, Reggie, in post #3, returned the kick for a hundred yards but you just keep on.

I smell a rat.

14. Member
    My 2 cents for what it is worth. Champion boats never sent out a boat with a bad transom that I know of. The design of the their boats and transom is very good and very well made, Probably better than most of the boats out there. Do Champion boats have issues, of course as well as every other boat out there. Its is all about the maintenance of the boats and how well they were kept sealed not the design of the boat. Was it loved by previous owners. Th Gere are a lot of older Champions out there still and if not properly they will have transom issues as well. Go to a junk yard and there is a lot of Toyota Camrys in it, not because its a bad car but because they sold a gazillion of them and they are one of the best cars made.

15. Member
    Well said tkbbn.

16. Member
    Well I drove the 9hrs and crawled all over the boat, and there was several gel coat cracks and some fading, the out boards lower unit had a ticking sound when you spun the prop with your hand. Over all the boat looked good, But I walked away and drove back home without the boat. So back to searching for that dual console 20 footer. Might not ever find that showroom condition boat.

17. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarKimBassTeam2021 View Post
    ... But I walked away and drove back home without the boat. So back to searching for that dual console 20 footer. Might not ever find that showroom condition boat.
    There's one out there somewhere. If you are on Facebook there is a group called Champion Boats buyers & Sellers. I've seen some good looking boats listed, but not really looked that close since I'm not in the market. Might take a look there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/239766497676119

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12