Thread: Transom???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Transom???

I'm looking at a 97 Champion dual console. Owner says it's 20'. So I'm thinking it's a 202? But dunno. Now Here is the Big! Question. I have heard the rumors about Champions having Transom Problems. Now I'd figure this would be the place to get the Facts about the Transom. So, Did Champion have Transom issues or problems? And if so , What years?

2. Member
    any boat the is over 25 yrs old are subject to transom an stringer issues.

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Mark, I responded to your post in the The ChampioN World – According to Pat Goff thread. If the boat has been taken care of and maintained, it should be in great shape. I suggested having C&O Maine do a pre-purchase inspection on it. They were a long time and large Champion dealer and full service dealer including fiberglass repair. give Craig Odom a call. They are about 3hrs from you.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    It will be a rare sighting to see Mr. Goff here. Been a long time since he's paid a visit.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    It will be a rare sighting to see Mr. Goff here. Been a long time since he's paid a visit.

Edit below…..Pat was been banned years ago. If you have to find him, go onto the Texas Fishing Forum. Though he’s more into backwater bay fishing, not so much in bassboat talk.

edit: let me retype that. Apparently Pat thinks he was banned years ago. He talks about it on the TFF from time to time. He was making fun of the Ranger boat guys, guess his ban was only temporary and he doesn’t know or care to come back.

If you want him, he’s easy to find on FB as well.
    Last edited by Bass in the grass; 07-31-2023 at 11:16 AM.

6. Member
    Gotcha. Thanks bass in the grass. I'm just wanting to make sure that this Transom problem that Champion had was just a Nasty Rumor that someone started. And in fact, is Not true. I'm getting ready to purchase a 1997 Champion 292 dual console and just want this Transom issue laid to rest before I hand over the money.

7. Member
    Correction, Champion 202 dual console.

8. Banned
    If its been taken care of, your good. if it hasn't been taken care of, there'll be issues. True of any brand of any era.

9. Member
    Ok. I agree. Now I just thought of another question, instead of trying to spend a few hrs researching. Would happen to know if this 1997 Champion 202 would have been built in Mt Home Arkansas or Murfreesboro Tn? I'm not sure when they left Arkansas for Tennessee.

10. Member
    Hmmmmmmmm.

11. Member
    1997 Champion 202 would be a Mountain Home Ark. built boat. I have the same year and model and love it. I had a 1994 Champion 190 before the 202 I have now and it was a great boat as well.

12. Member
    Awesome!!!!! Thanks!!!!

13. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Mark, thought I'd get off of the other thread, since our conversation wasn't really on that topic. The move from AR to TN happened in early 2001 after Genmar made a deal with the bankruptcy court to settle with the creditors and assumed ownership of Champion. Champion ceased operation in Mtn Home around Sept of 2000 after filing involuntary bankruptcy. The rest of your questions I believe have been answered.

14. Member
    Look close at the splash well area and see if there are any stress cracks. They typically will start in the corners and under the aluminum brace where the top jackplate bolts go through. Also look for any brown drip marks on the back of the transom. Are there any screw holes in the transom from transducers etc? How well are they sealed. Pay attention to the metal trim strip that runs across the back of the transom and look at the screws. Are they sealed up good? Open the back hatch and look towards the back of the transom, check all the jackplate bolts, make sure they are not being sucked into the transom, if so it is toast.

WTF
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

16. Member
    Thanks for the advice. I'll check for all of this.

17. Member
    I just did a search on the Champion boat section, and Wow!!!!! It definitely looks like Champion had a Transom Problem. This Sucks!!!!! I'll definitely be investigating the Transom Closely before I buy. Or I might just shy away completely. It's a shame, Champion boat's are still sought after.

18. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass in the grass View Post
    Edit below…..Pat was been banned years ago. If you have to find him, go onto the Texas Fishing Forum. Though he’s more into backwater bay fishing, not so much in bassboat talk.

edit: let me retype that. Apparently Pat thinks he was banned years ago. He talks about it on the TFF from time to time. He was making fun of the Ranger boat guys, guess his ban was only temporary and he doesn’t know or care to come back.

If you want him, he’s easy to find on FB as well.
    His last activity was 4-14-2022. He knew it was a temp ban, he had the lemming wagon owners in quite a tizzy.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarKimBassTeam2021 View Post
    I just did a search on the Champion boat section, and Wow!!!!! It definitely looks like Champion had a Transom Problem. This Sucks!!!!! I'll definitely be investigating the Transom Closely before I buy. Or I might just shy away completely. It's a shame, Champion boat's are still sought after.

Think about this. How many boats do you still see on the water, that are as old as many Champions? They are the only boat, that holds their value and that people are willing to keep/repair. Of course there are more issues, when people use them forever.

It’s like everything, maintenance…

20. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarKimBassTeam2021 View Post
    If you're talking about on Facebook, I think a lot of that has been hyped. Are there some rotten transoms out there? Yes, but so are there on other brands. I've seen Rangers and Skeeters on the ramp with their outboards lying on the ground. I think what you're seeing on the champs are boats that are 30 or more years old. Not many Rangers or others out there that old still running. And a wet transom doesn't always me a rotten transom. A lot have been dried out, resealed and gone on to provide years of service. If you take any boat with a wooden transom and leave it outside in the weather then chances are you're going to have issues. It's beyond me why someone will spend that kind of money on a piece of equipment then leave it out in the UV and weather to let it deteriorate. I've owned three Champions since 1990 and as long as I had them all, they were stored inside and out of the elements and I guarantee you that when I sold them, the transoms were as rock solid as the day they left the factory. You look at some of the boats where guys have wet transoms and it's obvious they've been mis-treated. Like I've mentioned have a pre purchase inspection done on the boat by a reputable service or fiberglass shop. A 26 year old boat, you not only want the transom checked, but the outboard needs an inspection.

You're right Champions are still sought, but when you're looking at a 25-30+ year old boat, do your diligence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast