Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Member
    Soon as I heard they let minors drive it the first time the boat would be off limits forever. They knew the rules and violated them, end of story NO BOAT FOR YOU!

It sends a better message on responsibility by taking it away than letting them take it again, which they did the exact same thing showing a complete lack of respect for YOUR rules and the LAW.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    I wouldn't of let them have it the second time.
    A Third Time they already have two strikes against them

I'd save my breath and my words plus keep my BP down. I would wait until next time tgey ask then politely decline and briefly and pointedly say why.

You don't need to explain yourself or teach a life lesson to two grown adults.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
    Last year I let my sil and daughter take my boat on their yearly vacation to lake powell, finding out later they let their 14 yr old son take it with some other teenagers to go fishing (legal age to drive is 16) and it came back in a bit of a disarray.

So this year when they came to get it I went through the rules of requiring an adult boat driver (preferably the sil) needing to be the driver. There were several pics posted of again, just my grandson and his friends in it (still not 16), returned in disarray again and the back compartment little sliding plastic trays full of water, a battery popped up out of the tray (even with it still strapped in) and the Noco unit kept in a zip lock and cubby back there bounced down in between the batteries with the zip lock open and the unit even in its little zipped up rubber holder wet. Ugh.

Im hesitant to say anything but even more hesitant to let them borrow it again. What say ye?

Why would you hesitate to say anything? I’d lose my shit on my daughter.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

You say your SIL, and daughter borrow your boat, where is the husband, your brother when all this accures ? Sounds to me you are being used for some sad reason. Borrowing someone boat or any other thing and bringing it back not clean would be the last time they borrowed it.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I'd save my breath and my words plus keep my BP down. I would wait until next time tgey ask then politely decline and briefly and pointedly say why.

Simple as this!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjvana View Post
    You say your SIL, and daughter borrow your boat, where is the husband, your brother when all this accures ? Sounds to me you are being used for some sad reason. Borrowing someone boat or any other thing and bringing it back not clean would be the last time they borrowed it.
    wth you talking about?
    his daughter and his son in law borrowed It.

8. Member
    If I lent out my boat in these conditions......It better be washed, waxed with a full tank of gas. After the 1st time I would have not lent it to them the 2nd time.
    2019 Ranger Z185
    veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Cbump View Post
    wth you talking about?
    Maybe it's 5 o'clock where he is or he started early.

10. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    ITs TIME BLINDNESS.............

Quote Originally Posted by Cbump View Post
    wth you talking about?
    Nonetheless, they are still entitled to use the boat whenever they want.

Family comes first.

The first time was their fault. The second time was on you.

If it were me, there would not be a third. Actually there wouldn't have been a first or second either
    '05 Stratos 200 ProXL, '05 Evinrude 225HO

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post

I disagree. As someone else mentioned, its time for a face to face talk with the SIL, Daughter and grandson with the boat right there - to explain how they disrespected your property. Let them know you trusted them, and they broke that trust. Doing it in front of the grandson makes it clear to him what future expectations are (not just yours, but how he needs to respect everyone's property). And maybe the SIL and daughter will take it as a hard lesson with their kid right there with them.

You can still love them... just don't let them borrow anything from you again.

Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    I disagree. As someone else mentioned, its time for a face to face talk with the SIL, Daughter and grandson with the boat right there - to explain how they disrespected your property. Let them know you trusted them, and they broke that trust. Doing it in front of the grandson makes it clear to him what future expectations are (not just yours, but how he needs to respect everyone's property). And maybe the SIL and daughter will take it as a hard lesson with their kid right there with them.

You can still love them... just don't let them borrow anything from you again.
    Knock yourself out. Adults rarely change. Chances are they enable the young man in other ways too. This isnt an Afterschool Special reaching moment. These are adults. They will "act" offended and it will turn into a sh*t show more than likely.

16. Member
    I don’t think my daughter is beyond an ass chewing just because she’s an adult lol

17. Member
    Family emotions aside - I would say one word of wisdom to help explain how this could go terribly wrong in so many ways....LIABILITY I believe you are forgetting how, God forbid, horrible this situation could be. You knew they have let the kid go unlawfully solo - twice - focus would totally be on you my friend. Perhaps you had a "talk" with your insurance agent .......take emotion out of the equation.
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

You lost me at letting your SIL borrow your boat. I'll loan mine tools, things to use around the house maybe even my truck. But they not taking my boat!

19. Member
    Things you don't loan or ask to borrow

Motorcycle
    Boat
    Wife/Girlfriend

Words to live by!

Quote Originally Posted by LateralLine View Post
    Things you don't loan or ask to borrow

Motorcycle
    Boat
    Wife/Girlfriend

Words to live by!