4000 size spinning reel rec’s

One of my pfleuger presidents literally broke in half last night (on a hookset, 5lb smallie!!). Needs replaced. Looking for a decent 4000-size spinning reel to go on a 7’ mh rod that I use for everything from jigs and worms, swimbaits, to striper fishing. I have been happy with these basic reels for years so no need to step up too far, but no specific budget—probably less than $200. I did a search on the topic and found mainly threads from 7-9 years ago so I imagine things have changed. What reels should I be looking at?

2. Member
    Nothing wrong with a new Pfleuger president.

3. Member
    Stradic FL on sale at American legacy

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    Nothing wrong with a new Pfleuger president.
    Guess Im a little gunshy based on how it broke—has not been abused, just lives in my rod locker in my boat or hanging in my shop over the winter, and the reel seat literally broke right off where it meets the reel itself on a hook set. I use this rod for pike a lot and stripers some, as well as for my wife and friends who dont cast a baitcaster to theow frogs and other stuff that typically would use a heavier setup…so it is not what I would consider a “light use” application. I’m sure a lot of reels have similar construction, so hoping for this reel to upgrade in the strength/durability department a bit. It doesnt need to be a giant saltwater setup, but a inshore reel or a more durable construction in a freshwater reel is what I’m after.
    Last edited by MacIntosh; 07-23-2023 at 12:34 PM.

Tatula EQ, right at 200. Great reel

Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Tatula MQ, right at 200. Great reel
    Agreed, the Tatula MQ is a great reel. The Daiwa Ballistic MQ in 4000 has some impressive specs and is also very light for a reel with that much power and torque.

7. Member
    I’ll second the Stradic FL. It’s definitely a heavier reel but if you’re looking for increased strength/durability look no further. It’s very smooth and you can find them at a steep discount right now