Yellow gel over white coverage

I am wanting to gel the bottom of a boat yellow that is currently white. Test patch has been hard to cover without being pretty thic .Did not check the thickness with a gage though. Any suggestions on this? Thank you in advance for any advice on this.

2. Member
    I always spray 5 coats unthinned on everything. Last coat has to have wax additive or 50/50 duratec high gloss additive in it. You're looking at a lot of wetsanding and buffing when done.

3. Member
    Thank you for the reply APS. I usually spray 4 coats with duratec in the last but it seems that I have bleed through from the white. It is currently a white and dark green bottom. Green is covered fine but the white stripe in the green shows through. Maybe a base a base coat first would help or maybe just go with 5 coats?

4. Member
    you must be thinning or using an off brand gel. With whites I have complete coverage by the 2nd coat on everything. Either that or you're spraying very thin coats. I spray heavy coats, it's hard to get gelcoat to run unless you hold spraygun too close. Duratec makes a gray primer you could put on first then sand down when cured to give a different color base but I don't use much primer on my stuff.

5. Member
    I bought this gel from fgci, thought they were a quality gel company? I haven't purchased all the gel at this time but if there is a better source I would definitely look into it. I didn't thin the test area but last coat with duratec. Worst area was where a white stripe was in a dark green color, if you looked closely you could see the outline of the white stripe underneath.

6. Member
    your gel is most likely your problem. Never heard of them but they package their gel in plastic bottles it looks like. I get most mine from Sprectrum as they have exact matches for most boats on the market. About 3x what your paying for that fgci gel.

7. Member
    I will have to look into the spectrum gel. The yellow gel is the only one I've had an issue with and it was just covering. I'm not sure where I was reading but someone had recommended them to another poster. Thank you for the help and information.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by APS View Post
    you must be thinning or using an off brand gel. With whites I have complete coverage by the 2nd coat on everything. Either that or you're spraying very thin coats. I spray heavy coats, it's hard to get gelcoat to run unless you hold spraygun too close. Duratec makes a gray primer you could put on first then sand down when cured to give a different color base but I don't use much primer on my stuff.

FGCI has some of the best gel on the maket, spays butter smooth, as in easy compaired to some shit that composite one sells. I told the Comp one salesman the the fgci gel come out of the gun better than their's, he said the are their compitition.
    Yellow is a biatch, because it is translucent, ask ony guy that tapes and shoots gel for a living. I would mix it with the duratech and heep layering it until youo can no longer see white. And screw the way, durtech will air dry without it, and it sands like concrete, you don't want to sand.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

9. Member
    any gel that sprays butter smooth is a low viscosity gel. You won't see any mfgr use that stuff. Every qt of gel I get from Ranger, Allison, and Phoenix is thick as hell. I use a 2.8 tip and needle setup. You want mil buildup with gelcoat.