Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerman View Post
    Im having trouble getting mine to turn rpm, i installed wedges yesterday and that helped a bunch
    Specifically prohibited in Installation Instructions as well as Service Bulletins for safety reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerman
    If tou pull the cowling it has on air inlet on the port side about 4” diameter, i know at 1550’ elevation these motors are dogs, they do need more air I believe
    The air inlet you are referring to is not the limiting point in the system.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Specifically prohibited in Installation Instructions as well as Service Bulletins for safety reasons.
    i dont care what is prohibited, it made the boat life so the motor will turn rpm, hell a dealer is who told me to do it

then what is ?

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The throttle plate that opens and closes based on commands from the PCM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    The throttle plate that opens and closes based on commands from the PCM.
    Ok so just because the throttle cable is getting full travel doesnt mean the plate is opening fully ?
    Last edited by Farmerman99; 07-24-2023 at 06:04 PM.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Ok so just because the throttle cable is getting full travel doesnt mean the plate is opening fully ?
    That is correct. The electronic throttle control is controlled by the PCM.

6. Member
    I've also read that using air intakes like the Venom from Steve Bishop reduce exhaust from entering the cowling affecting performance.
    2013 Bullet 21XRD
    2020 Mercury 300R 1E080760
    3 Garmin 126SV
    LVS34/LVS32
    Ultrex with iPilot Link
    8' Raptors

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WranglerSS View Post
    I've also read that using air intakes like the Venom from Steve Bishop reduce exhaust from entering the cowling affecting performance.
    Exhaust entering the cowling on one of these at any planing speed is probably an indication of a problem, in and of itself.

8. Member

Don, are you saying that wedges are prohibited with the 250 Pro XS V8 motors?

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidebassin' View Post
    Don, are you saying that wedges are prohibited with the 250 Pro XS V8 motors?
    Yes- actually with ALL Mercury engines.

10. Member
    Yes- actually with ALL Mercury engines.
    well I had a dealership tell me to try them, i dont see anything unsafe about them

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    well I had a dealership tell me to try them, i dont see anything unsafe about them
    Just keep in mind that if you install something that's specifically advised not to in the engine installation instructions, you're accepting any and all liability for damage or failure to the engine, boat, or persons. There are serious safety concerns and a potential of serious damage or injury. "I had a dealership tell me to try them" won't help if or when there is a catastrophic event.

12. Member
    Don, I believe I read on here relating to this that it was recommended to use wedges instead of “trim extenders” because the trim extenders allowed the motor to be trimmed up beyond normal limitations and therefore, wedges were the preferred method of getting the same result without exceeding trim limits. Is this not true?

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidebassin' View Post
    Don, I believe I read on here relating to this that it was recommended to use wedges instead of “trim extenders” because the trim extenders allowed the motor to be trimmed up beyond normal limitations and therefore, wedges were the preferred method of getting the same result without exceeding trim limits. Is this not true?
    I've read the same "older" threads. Since then Mercury has advised against it.

If tou pull the cowling it has on air inlet on the port side about 4” diameter, i know at 1550’ elevation these motors are dogs, they do need more air I believe
    Must be really bad at Alan Henry, around 2220' elevation if I remember correctly. Older 200 EFI was 3 mph slower there than it was at my local lake which is 1535 or so when full. There is just less "air" in the higher altitude, throw in 100+ degree days and I don't think any motor is going to perform very well. I notice my truck isn't quite as crisp in this heat. Come on fall and lower temps, better air and running WOT!

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck456 View Post
    I've read the same "older" threads. Since then Mercury has advised against it.
    Correct.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12